Sign in to follow this  
Sugarmaker

A-100 project tractor

Sugarmaker

I need some help and this looks like the place to come for Wheel Horse information.

Well: My grandson and I have a A-100. Not sure but probably a 76 or 77 vintage.

I was going to replace the rear tires. I have some Super Lug 20x10-8 coming. Thats the easy part I hope. I see posts on here about filling them. Might like to try that too? First things first.

Trying to take off the left rear rim , I found it to be rusted in place. It will come off one way or another.:whistle:

In trying to get it off with not the correct puller and equip ( Torch) I bunged up the end of the drive shaft. Last night I pulled the rear end and proceeded to split the case to try to get this apart.

I now have the case split and pulled the entire shaft from the other side of the case thru. :thumbs:

Quite a mess. But it looks like I may be able to get the wheel off now. (hope) Still need that puller and torch and probably the 30 ton press too , all at my sons house. Will have to push the rim back on so I can clean up the end of the shaft. Then pull it off.

I did drill out the key and squirt PB Blaster in there and lots of rusty junk came out.

So as you can see I will have other questions. Like gaskets, Getting the transmission back together and more.

BTW This is our first red machine And I fell in love with it. I did have to replace the seat. the sterring wheel, a new battery, and a electricial hicky that I cant remember the namew of. And the carb had a hole in the casting which I have tried to JB weld.

Other tractors 127 Cub and H-14 Bolens.

Looks like great site!

WHY Sugarmaker???? Because we make pure PA maple syrup

Regards,

Chris

Duff

Chris, :whistle: !

You did indeed come to the right place, and although I don't know anything about A-100's, there are plenty of other folks here who do. I expect some will be along in a bit to help you out!

Make yourself at home, and :whistle: !

Many, many years ago when I was a kid I spent a lot of time on my grandfather's farm in Vermont where they had a huge sugarbush (and made a pretty respectable syrup and maple sugar, maple cream, maple butter....). Spent many long and enjoyable nights at the arch in his sugar house! This was way before the days of pipelines, gas or oil fired arches, osmosis systems and the like. Everything was done with a tractor and gathering tank, wood fire, a thermometer, a hygrometer as I recall, felt filters, cans and a good eye for color! :dunno:

Best wishes,

Duff :thumbs:

Teddy da Bear

Chris... :thumbs: So glad you could join us.

Well....not sure you got ahead of us on this one.

Did you mean the rim (what you said) was rusted in place?

Or did you mean the "hub" (what you might have meant) was

rusted in place?

I have not personally seen a rim rusted in place....

So I am thinking you meant the "hub" (which the rim and

tire mount to).

I think you went too far in splitting the tranny case before

some of the folks could put some other suggestions to you

that would have been simpler.

Many have made their own "hub pullers". For my stubborn

hubs I use penetrating oil and let it sit for 24 to 48 hours.

And then I use a gear puller and light taps with a lead hammer

to persuade hubs off. I cannot stress enough that you cannot

"wail" on the back of these hubs or you will break the hub

itself or dislocate the E or C clip inside the tranny which holds

the axles in place.

Please clarify if it was the hub (behind the rim and tire)

or the rim and tire itself. If it was just the white rim....I

would believe that just a good rubber mallet applied to the

back side of the rim would have brought it off.

Keep us posted!

Sugarmaker

Duff and Mike thanks for the warm welcome.

Duff check our web page at www.mapleandhoney.com

Mike,

The white rim is rusted on to the axle. Yea I should not have split the case. But thats done now so we try to move forward from here.

Plowing a ton of snow with the Bolens ( is that a swear word on here?) tonight as we got about 16-18 inches of the white stuff. Love the hydro and the hydraulic lift on that tractor really can move quick and plow the snow.

I have wheel weights, chains and 140 lb of added weight just in front of the rear wheels. Set up like a pulling tractor.

Back to the A-100. This is a low priced lawn tractor. Hope that doesnt offend some one! The white wheel and the hub are one unit they slide onto a 3/4 dia shaft and have square key way in the hub and the shaft.

I have it boogered up pretty good on the end of the shaft. I couldnt get to the back of the wheel to try to hit it so all the work was from the outside with a rigged puller attached to the rim and then hitting against the shaft. I think I can now a least get it under a press and apply some heat to the inside and outside. of the wheel hub. Then hopefully I can dress the shaft and get the wheel off.

Got the new tires today for the A-100 They look real good, wished I had a set on the B word tractor. Not a cheap date but hey its for the grandson (Mike) to play with. Its getting too late to try to work on the axle tonight. I have to get my computer fix. I ride a site called www.mapletrader.com. Plus I wanted to spend some time here too.

Thanks Wheel horse folks,

Regards

Chris

TT

:whistle: , Chris.

The transaxle in the "A" is a Peerless unit and some parts should still be available through any reputable dealer that handles or services the Tecumseh/Peerless line of products. There should be a small stamped ID tag in the vicinity of the brake disc/caliper should you need to get parts, and I know exactly what you're going through with the wheel froze to the axle syndrome. :whistle:

If you did get it to move at all, you're almost there. If you can get the wheel back on far enough to clean up the end of the axle, try supporting the wheel from the back side while using a brass drift to sharply hit the end of the axle. That will also help work the Blaster into the hole and hopefully it will come apart for you.

There's a few WH guys up in your corner of PA that might have some pieces too. I'm not sure how many of them visit here, but we can find them if you need them. :thumbs:

Sugarmaker

TT,

Thanks I have a friend in Girard Pa and his brother in NY (part of the James gang I think:)) and they have 7 Wheel Horse tractors between them.

I need to tap/pound /move the wheel back on the shaft can I support this all the way through the end of the opposite axle or will I break something in the trans axle gears?

Got any Idea what Im Talking about?

I have the PB blaster in there and some hot wrench will help if I need to.

Thanks for the word of encouragement. I did see the "peerless" plate on the trans axle near the brake. Glad therr may still be partts around. I will also nee some bearings in the ends of the cast housings. these are small needle bearings and seal combos I think.

Should I plan to get std gasket material for each side of the carrier plate? And custom make my own gaskets?

Also what weight gear lube?

Regards,

CHris

TT

OK.... did a little detective work on this deal.

Your tractor should be a 1977 model (model # 72-10BP01) since it has the hubless rear wheels. (The 1976 model had 5 bolt wheel hubs)

A 1977 A-100 used a model 662 Peerless 4 speed and here is a LINK to the illustrated parts list at PartsTree.com that should help you figure out the internals.

I don't advise trying to drive the wheel back onto the axle unless you can support the opposite end. If you can get the other wheel off, you might be able to pull the entire differential out of the case and remove the roll pin to allow you to pull the axle out of the carrier. Once it's out of the carrier, you can "push" the axle back into the wheel so you can clean the end up for removal.

It looks like the cover gaskets are both still available (they're actually the same gasket for both sides) and 80W90 appears to be the recommended lubricant. :thumbs:

By the way - I deleted your phone number from your post for privacy reasons. You never know who might find it and start calling you in the middle of the night! :whistle:

Sugarmaker

TT,

Thanks I will check it out. I did pull the entire right side axle from the other side out through the rear end.

Yea I dont need calls in the middle of the night. I know you guys never sleep:)

Ok I need to look for the roll pin.

I went and looked and I cant see a roll pin so I will look at the link you sent.

Regards,

Chris

Sugarmaker

TT,

Yea I think I see the roll pin in the illustration #123, holds the gear to the axle right? Unfortunately I cant get to it cause the darn wheel is still on! Anyway this will help a lot! Thanks And I may be able to order the gaskets and bearings from there too. If it move the hub I will try to support it and apply some heat to allow it to move easier too.

Thanks for doing the research on the year of this WH.

Regards,

Chris

Sugarmaker

TT,

BTW that sure is sweet looking WH trike!

Chris

TT

When you get to the IPL, look for the roll pin (#123) that holds the spider gear cross pin (#17) in the ring gear/carrier. (#15)

You have to drive the roll pin out and remove the cross pin and spider gears (#14) so you can remove the side gears (#13 or 13A, depending on what type yours uses) - regardless if they have snap rings or roll pins on the ends of the axles.

The trike is a true "10 footer"..... once you get any closer, it starts to look a little rough. :whistle: It makes it a lot easier to jump on and not be afraid to use it occasionally. Thank you for the compliment! :thumbs:

all throttle no bottle

how is it going chris. i know it can be a bear messing around with WH. rear-end i do it all the time. now you said that the wheel is stuck on to the hub which the hub is probably stuck on the axle.what i would try to take out the axle hub wheel. once you got the axle out try taking to 5 gallon bucket or tables and put them about foot apart.

then place half of wheel on 1 bucket and then the other half on the other bucket with the axle facing downward betwen the 2 bucket make suer that the hub can fall betwen top the bucket. then take a block of wood that fit the hub and beat on it with a big hammer. if that dont do it then use a shop press. if you get the wheel off and the hub is stuck on the axle then you neeld a 3claw puller or a shop press.then when you put it back together doyle's equipment service inc. in winchester VA. phone 504/662-1234 they have all the stuff. GOOD LUCK!

1961 surburban

1964 854

1969 raidr12 pulling tractor

1969 raider10

1972 commander 8

1976 b-80

1978 c-121

my name is chris to :thumbs:

Duff

Chris (Sugarmaker) - that's one classy web site you have for your personal business. Good look with the A-100, too! Our panel of experts seems to have jumped in, so it should be smoother sailing (relatively) from here on out!

:thumbs:

Duff :whistle:

Sugarmaker

Duff, TT and All Throtle,

Duff thanks for the compliments on the web site!

We got her done last night. Here was the action on the A-100 rear wheel stuck issue.

I had pulled the entire shaft assembly out of the rear end. The left hand case and the differential was inside the left case,plus the long axle for the right side still attached to the casting/ gear. No way to get to the roll pins.

First we, my son Eric, and I place the unit (wheel up position) in the 30 ton shop press and supported the large gear across the press bed. Put a large socket on the hub. Heated the hub top and bottom with a hot wrench and pushed the hub back on the axle ( about 1/4 inch) to expose the snap ring groove. Took the unit out to the bench and used a air die grinder to remove the peened over areas on the end of the 3/4 dia shaft. (First time thought we had enough off but it hung a again so we had to repeat). I knew we had it licked when it move back to the home position.

Anyway back to the press after the second dressing of the shaft end. Placed bars under the wheel, heated the hub again top and bottom and pushed on the center of the shaft. We needed most of the 30 ton to push it out. Probably could have used more heat. This was just rusted solid. getting some blaster in there for a few days helped too.!

Once that was out we started on the tire and rim. We used Eric's pickup to run over the tire and finally broke the bead loose after about 10 trys. It was growed on there!

When we did get the rim off I found that we had bent the rim while pushing out the axle. So I will try to straighten the edges out and save it.

So you guys helped a lot!

With a little more time and a few parts I should have this horse up on four feet again with new shoes on the back. Those little diggers should look real nice on there. I may think about loading them with the RV fluid, but that's down the road a few days.

Regards,

Chris

all throttle no bottle

job wale done :thumbs:

Sugarmaker

Update on the A-100

(hey! GO STELLERS! Kicking some butt!!) Ignore that if your a Cardinals fan:)

I was able to hammer the rear rims very straight after being tweaked during the removal from the axle. The ones was very rusty and crummy a lot of elbow grease and wire brushing has it looking pretty good under 2 coats of gray primer. I am going to put in new valve stems too ( Cut out the old ones) I did not want to take any chance with original equip from 1977. Few more bucks but I like to have the tires up!

Will apply some cream color top coat and try to get the Super lugs mounted this week. Some one mentioned how to fill with RV fluid. How tough is this? Sure would help this small light weight tractor put the power to the ground.

I also have some work to do on the tran to get it back together. I need the seals and bearings on both ends of the axle. Left side that were worn out long ago the right side the bearing was still in tack but I will replace it also.

Question the seals on the inner portion of the rear end. These seemed to not be leaking. Can I just gently clean these up and put it back together?

I do also have to get new gaskets for each side if the carrier plate.

I am most concerned with the shifter mechanism location this kind of fell out and I am not sure how to determine it is in the correct location? I will look at it and do some trial fits and see if all the gears work ???

Thanks for you help!

Chris

Sugarmaker

Moving along, at this pace I should have the tractor running by about JUNE:).

I did get the finish coat on the rims.

Picked up the new valve stems and the gear oil, plus ordered the needle bearings and dust seals for the axle, which will be in tomorrow.

Still debating whether to load the tires. Any suggestions? Is it gross over kill on a small machine like this?

Chris

George

I have filled the wheels on a tractor that I had years ago and it help a lot. I was only 130 pounds back then so I needed all the help I could get.

I took each wheel off and broke the bead seal I then pured the antifree into the tire. I used old antifree from car radiators.

Sugarmaker

George,

Where is Dallastown?

Thanks for the thought on the loading. If I have my big 220 lb butt on there I dont need much weigh. I may try it just for grins. I did have some trouble on wet grass pulling a load last fall. I pulled 5 cord of wood total from the splitter to the stack with it and it worked well.

The grandson only weighs about 80 lb and he has a gleam in is eye to pull this at the local fair this year. He knows it wont do much with belt drive on the old 10hp Vert. He has pulled the Bolens and the Cub before neither are pulling tractors we just take off the mowing deck add some weights and go to the pull, and he has a ball. :thumbs:

Chris

That is a very nice looking tractor in you Avatar. Did you do the restoration?

Teddy da Bear

We still have not seen any pictures of this horse....

:thumbs:

Stigian

Good point Teddy about the pictures :thumbs: Where are they? :whistle:

I had a rim rusted on to the hub on the Raider 10 i rescued from the wood..

Lucky the trans was off the WH to make life easier..

After almost a week of the wheel hanging up and the trans hanging below,(lots of wd40 and hammering later the wheel finally leg go of it's rusty grip on the hub and the trans hit the ground with a crash :whistle:

Probably not that good for the trans, but as it was knackered it didn't matter much anyway :dunno:

Duff

After almost a week of the wheel hanging up and the trans hanging below,(lots of wd40 and hammering later the wheel finally leg go of it's rusty grip on the hub and the trans hit the ground with a crash :lol:

Oh, I would have loved to have seen a picture of that set-up! Were you in the area when it finally let go?

:whistle::whistle::dunno:

Duff :thumbs:

Sugarmaker

Teddy,

OK I know you guys love pictures! I will try to get some of the A-100 in progress. Not very pretty right now. This is not going to be a restoration.

If I have equipment around I want it to be functional. So the new tires were required to keep this thing up on all fours.

Do most of you use Photobucket as the place you store the pictures? Can you hang for a day or two I want the suspense to build a little more:)

No I just hate all the computer gobbledy goop to get any thing done on these things including pictures.

I did pick up the bearings seals new keys for the axles and gasket material for the case today.

Still waiting for the rims to dry then to mount the tires. I did install the valve stems last night does that count.

Stigian, I would have liked to see that "Hangin Tranny" Let go and fall out of the wheel.

Mine was not going to happen like that. But thanks to you guys, I slowed down enough to save it.

Articulated B-100 with B-90 rear end? Would it be possible???? :thumbs: Just dreamin.

Regards,

Chris

Sugarmaker

Brief update on the A-100 project.

I got the tires on the rims, haven't inflated yet still debating the antifreeze filling option.

Put the transmission/ axle/ rear end back together with the new seals bearings and gaskets. Hey all the gears work!!! Also have it cleaned and primed and filled with 80W90. Looks like I may have a slight leak around the shift lever? I think it is coming together nice Mike should be pleased.

I do need to take some pictures too.

I have been so busy at work I haven't had time to browse here much. Hope all the WH's are well.

This weekend will be busy with trying to get tubing up for making syrup and Sunday I want to check the bees to see if they are flying. Plus our Granddaughter is 2 today and we will be partying with her on Sunday.

Regards,

Chris

Duff

Sounds like it's coming along well, Chris! :thumbs:

BTW, when does sap usually start running down your way?

Duff :whistle: