Brit

1963 603 wheelhorse mowerdeck pulley wont stay on.

Brit

Trying to get the mower deck pulley to stay on when i engage the blades.  It appears the pulley is held in place by a washer and lock clip.  Issue is when i engage the blades it smacks the C clip off and off goes the pulley and belt.   Any ideas?  image below... its the pulley on the very bottom just behind the tire.   Its fine till i put the belt on that engages from engine pulley to deck pulley.

IMG_7941.JPG

IMG_7951.PNG

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Brit

MalMac

I would say that it's a possibility that the groove the snapring sits in is worn or the ring itself. Look at the groove and make sure that the sides are nice and square, not rounded off. Samething for your snap ring. You also might take a look at belt alignment from deck pulley to motor PTO pulley. Make sure it's running straight and not pulling the deck pulley outward against the snapring. It's been along time since I have used a gear driven deck. That's just what I remember off the top of my head what can cause it to be thrown outward.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Might try a new c clip. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:        The "C" clips are stamped from tempered steel, there is one side which is slightly rounded from the stamping process and the other side is sharp;    install it with the sharp side out.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

When most snap rings are made they are stamped. That results in rounded edges on one side and sharp edges on the other side. In this case you want the sharp side facing out for better retention.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
1 minute ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

Can't believe I beat Garry, that never happens!

Brit

I found a diagram of the mower deck, once i found out the model.  Its and RM-324.   Appears i am missing one set of needle bearings and a grease seal.  I think it the lack of the second set of bearings thats causing my issue. 

**EDIT** LEARNING AS I GO

Can anyone verify that part # 1540 can be replaced by B-128 bearing 1" OD x 3/4ID X 1/2"width ??

The bearing i have is pressed in i believe and i'd like to have the new on hand prior to replacement.  Thanks

wheelhorse.png

Edited by Brit

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :wh: and:rs:.

gregg'shorses
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:        The "C" clips are stamped from tempered steel, there is one side which is slightly rounded from the stamping process and the other side is sharp;    install it with the sharp side out.

I never knew that!!:huh:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

From my notes the 1540 is a B-128 - 3/4" ID x 1" OD x 1/2" wide - Used in transmissions, tillers and mower decks.

The 1303 seal is a SKF/Chicago Rawhide 7410 usually used with the B-128 bearing.

Garry

• Like 1

Brit

Thanks Garry and others,

I was able to remove the pulley tonight and verify that one of the bearings has blown apart.   The shaft it rides on doesn't seem harmed, my father was pretty OCD with his grease regimen.  I also noticed one of the two belts was slightly tighter than the other and may account for the blown bearing....that and age.    I'm going to replace the belts and adjust accordingly after i get some new bearings and a grease seal. 

I'll post pics of the pulley and blown bearing tomorrow.

• Like 3

WHX??

:WRS: and nice to see old tractors like that still working.:)

• Like 1

Brit

pictures as promised of the pulley before and after.  Hopefully this helps others in their quest.    The bearings measure 1" OD  3/4" ID .5" width.   My friend had a sleeve of bearings on hand that were .6" width and they worked fine.   The diagram and parts list are accurate down to the plastic seal which i was able to reuse as it was still in good shape.  

I'll post pics once reassembled and working.   I want to do a quick check on the mower deck as well before operating this summer.

IMG_7954.JPG

IMG_7955.JPG

IMG_7957.JPG

IMG_7959.JPG

Edited by Brit
  • Like 4

953 nut
19 hours ago, Brit said:

noticed one of the two belts was slightly tighter than the other and may account for the blown bearing

Good industrial supply houses can sell you belts that are very consistent and will run as a pair. 

https://www.grainger.com/category/v-belts/power-transmission-belts/power-transmission/ecatalog/N-cc2

• Like 1

JimmyJam

You are definitely on the right path!!! :woohoo:  :text-coolphotos:

AR11

what tires are on the rear, I've been trying to find what kind they are

WHX??

Tires are 6-12's & should be able to find them anywhere just google 6-12 tire

AR11

What brand?