Morecowbell

Stuck pulley - don't want to bust it

Morecowbell

Trying to get the drive pulley of my Tecumseh HT55, on there pretty good.  My assumption is that this pulley is tough to find just like everything else on this engine so I don't want do bust or bend the sheaves unless I'm wrong and these pulleys are available out there.  I have a puller but don't want to crank a lot more than I have already, what are my options?  If using heat, am I heating the shaft or the pulley? 

Thanks for any help!

5918a9c67d9c4_HT55puller.thumb.jpg.a12579ea02c8fb0206a9a101c52ea0f0.jpg 

• Like 1

Dan693

Usually just patience. I'd tip it up and soak it in WD-40 (its not a lubricant but meant for stuck parts) for a day or two and then try it. Also tap on the puller shaft while its under pressure.

I just went through this when removing a Tech flywheel. When it finally let go it went bang and the thing came flying off.

I may have an extra pulley....but not sure.

• Like 4

Morecowbell

Thanks Paul - haven't seen one of those before, looks like a good option.

Thanks Dan - I'm not in a big rush so will try a little more soaking and patience.  Seems like you and I are destined to meet!

953 nut

If your puller is struggling after the the day or two soaking with KRoil you may want to find a friend with a hydraulic press.

• Like 2

Dan693

Bein 5 miles away.....good chance to meet. Unless you are planning to replace to crank seal I wouldnt go near that with any heat.

Soak it and I bet it will come off fine.

• Like 2

Aldon

First, I love the handle... @Morecowbell

Second, I am similar in Paul's / @pfrederi opinion comcerning pullers. I now have a tool box that is dedicated to them as I've gathered so many in past couple years. And whenever I run across one I don't have, I tend to snag it. Better to have and not need than to need and not have:-)

• Like 9

JAinVA

As stated the bearing flange puller is the trick.You can find them at Harbor Freight for cheap.Jaw puller will destroy the pulley if you re not real careful.JAinVA

• Like 5

N3PUY

you haven't missed a setscrew someplace in the pulley?

• Like 2

Morecowbell

I'll double check but don't think I've missed a setscrew, think its just a casualty of being out in the elements.  The guy I got it from had it sitting outside for 3-4 years and the guy he got it from had it sitting outside but under a tree - unfortunately in Indiana weather :blink:. Given all that exposure its not too bad - a lot of surface rust but everything has come apart okay except this pulley and the rear wheels....those are soaking too!

• Like 1

pfrederi
1 hour ago, Aldon said:

First, I love the handle... @Morecowbell

Second, I am similar in Paul's / @pfrederi opinion comcerning pullers. I now have a tool box that is dedicated to them as I've gathered so many in past couple years. And whenever I run across one I don't have, I tend to snag it. Better to have and not need than to need and not have:-)

and I believe you have the mother of all pullers, a 10 ton hydraulic device...:P

• Like 1

Aldon

And it's paid for itself a few times over. I love that tool!!!!'

wallfish

Not saying this is a better solution to the pullers mentioned but I don't currently have one of those so it's the backyard mechanic way for me.

I've had pretty good luck (After thoroughly soaking of coarse) by using a piece of pipe to knock the pulley towards the block (Assuming it's not already on as far as it will go). Usually a couple quick shocks with a hammer but nothing drastic enough to break something. This may seem counter productive since you're trying to get it off but once that bond is broken, they do come off easier. Some have to be knocked on then pulled a little, then back on, then pulled and so on until it comes off. Spray oil on there each time it moves and wipe the shaft clean of the rust. It's also good idea to completely remove all the set screws and spay whatever you're using in those holes too. That way it gets right to the shaft deeper in there. That might be when you find the second set screw under the first one once in a while!

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 8

953 nut
7 minutes ago, wallfish said:

This may seem counter productive since you're trying to get it off but once that bond is broken, they do come off easier.

Good thinking John.  

:text-bravo:

1 hour ago, Aldon said:

I tend to snag it. Better to have and not need than to need and not have:-)

anen.jpg.258355bd0b479b634f592b28622ddddd.jpg

• Like 2

MalMac

Check to make sure the set screws were not double stacked. I had just removed a stubborn one and found using a air impact  on the puller helps add shock to it and loosens up. With that said I am not in favor of impacts because things can go wrong in a hurry. Sometimes your left with no other choices. Just be careful. As for heating it, that helps. Just remember when you heat something your exspanding it. Ex- a stuck headbolt you heat the block to exspand around the bolt helping release it. In this case you want to heat the pulley helping to release it from the shaft. If you heat the shaft all your doing is making it tighter.

• Like 1

Cub fan

Another idea that works for me, if you have air I use an air chisle to hammer lightly on pulley. Jim

If you need an air chisle I have one you can borrow I'm here in Carmel, pm me jkatterhenry@indy.rr.com.

• Like 1

Morecowbell

Thanks everyone - I've got it sitting on the recoil starter so the pulley is up in the air.  Filled the depression with Kroil last night to soak,  as of this morning its all still there!   I'm doing the same thing with the rear end and rims and it took a little while for that to start to seep through, so hoping I see that stuff disappear soon.  I can be a little patient - there's plenty of other stuff to work on! 

• Like 1

WHX??

Pull the setscrews out if you can and juice those holes up as well. Stubborn pullies are right up there with steering wheels, fly wheels and the dreaded hubs.

• Like 2

jerryme

Looks like you have a lot of good info. Double set screw are a good possibility, clean the shaft in front of the pulley real good and spray with Kroil or WD-40. Apply heat to the pulley not to close to shaft and get it red hot all the way around should come off also after you get it red hot throw cold or luke warm water on it, a little thermal shock may break it loose, i don't think any of those parts are cast iron. Perserver you'll get it.

• Like 1

Cub fan

what I do with chisle is get a flat chisle, they make one that is rounded to fit a tie rod sleeve, turn the air down on the gun and let it just tap away. Jim

Cub fan

MORECOWBELL,. Just wandering did the pulley ever come off?  Cub fan Jim