GreenMntRanger

418-c questions

GreenMntRanger

there is a 418-c for sale local. before I go look at it what are some things I should be on the lookout for in the way of issues specific to this model ( i know it was made for only 1 year) Anything to beaware of with a hydro tranny? Ive never owned one before. And Will m,y attachments for my 414-8 work with it? ( tiller, single stage snow thrower and 48" blade)

Thanks in advance

pfrederi

Your implements will interchange with out problems.  If you can warm it up then put her up against an immovable object and see if she will dig her tires in.  Check the tranny fluid, should look clear on the dipstick.  also no burned smell

C was a commercial version no chrome, heavier spindles I think a bit faster gearing .  If it was in commercial service may have a lot of hours..  magnum 18s are good engines.

Edit:  Big plus...much simpler wiring no damn idiot lights!!!!

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

wallfish

:text-yeahthat:

Paul is correct, heavy duty front spindles, no frills added to it and it seems to go faster than other hydros do. An excellent machine which will handle all of the attachments.

gwest_ca

Garry

GreenMntRanger
5 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Your implements will interchange with out problems.  If you can warm it up then put her up against an immovable object and see if she will dig her tires in.  Check the tranny fluid, should look clear on the dipstick.  also no burned smell

C was a commercial version no chrome, heavier spindles I think a bit faster gearing .  If it was in commercial service may have a lot of hours..  magnum 18s are good engines.

Edit:  Big plus...much simpler wiring no damn idiot lights!!!!

By burned smell you mean the tranny fluid right?

pfrederi
1 hour ago, GreenMntRanger said:

By burned smell you mean the tranny fluid right?

Yes burned smell in the tranny/hydro is not good.

GreenMntRanger

So I picked her up last night...Pictures later today!! Clear tranny fluid, put her up against a tree and the drive wheel dug a hole. And Chrome Front Caps! with the mower deck...425.00 doesn't seem like a bad price to pay here in the northeast. Hours of Service ( if the gauge works) is 1675  (averages out to about 60 hours a year) not bad for a 30 y/o tractor

• Like 1

pfrederi

You done good...very good.

richmondred01

I've got the 8 speed 418. It's the only one I've kept over the years and about 25 different models. 

Great little tractor. 

Much easier to get parts and cheaper parts then the Onan. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Best of luck. Is that an electric Lift?  I think the price was good.

Glenn

GreenMntRanger

A day late but pictures as promised

Gqq4Pf.jpg
7e38ZS.jpg
EZolXR.jpg
XC7iCg.jpg
SFHiDg.jpg

• Like 2

GreenMntRanger

Now the problems.... In the picture, the two front mounting points for fender are gone, giving the seat a "free float " feeling. Figure a few minutes with a welder to fab up 2 new tabs is the way to go. The arrow on the console is where the Tramsmission Drive Clutch Engage/ Disengage lever should be and it not. What exactly is the function, because the tractor runs and powers the mower deck fine? how hard of a fix is it? And yeah, she needs a new seat

vfa19w.jpg

Edited by GreenMntRanger

WVHillbilly520H
47 minutes ago, GreenMntRanger said:

Now the problems.... In the picture, the two front mounting points for fender are gone, giving the seat a "free float " feeling. Figure a few minutes with a welder to fab up 2 new tabs is the way to go. The arrow on the console is where the Tramsmission Drive Clutch Engage/ Disengage lever should be and it not. What exactly is the function, because the tractor runs and powers the mower deck fine? how hard of a fix is it? And yeah, she needs a new seat

vfa19w.jpg

The engagement lever is for an idler pulley on the hydro drive belt, the newer versions ('90s?) eliminated this provision, now is it an issue that needs fixed I can't tell you as you say it runs/drives ok, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge of these style will come along shortly, Jeff.

19richie66

If that lever is gone, chances are the hydro belt is always engaged, therefore allowing  the tractor to drive. Lever is probably just gone. I may have an extra if you need one. Nice tractor for the price. :thumbs:

GreenMntRanger
1 minute ago, 19richie66 said:

If that lever is gone, chances are the hydro belt is always engaged, therefore allowing  the tractor to drive. Lever is probably just gone. I may have an extra if you need one. Nice tractor for the price. :thumbs:

A replacememnt  lever would be nice...let me know what you would want for it

19richie66

Let me get home and check my parts tractor. 

• Like 1

19richie66

Here is the lever. Send me your address and Ill try and get it off and send it to you. Just pay shipping. :thumbs:

IMG_4900.JPG

• Like 2

wh500special

Best 400-series ever made.  Congrats on that purchase. Selling my 418-C is probably the only tractor that ever gave me seller's remorse. 

The faster gearing is great for snow plowing.  The snow will roll off the blade easier and the faster reverse makes returning to the beginning of a run faster. 

Check your rear wheels.  There have been several 418-c's found that have chrome 420-lse wheels that were painted over. Apparently they had an oversupply of chrome rims and a shortage of painted ones.   The two tractors had wider rear wheels than other 400's.  

No kidding. 

Maybe you'll get lucky and find hidden treasure.  

Steve

• Like 2

GreenMntRanger
On 5/17/2017 at 6:26 PM, 19richie66 said:

Here is the lever. Send me your address and Ill try and get it off and send it to you. Just pay shipping. :thumbs:

IMG_4900.JPG

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, been out of town for work. I would love the lever. Let me know the cost of postage and your adress and I'll get the money out to you

19richie66

Went to pull the lever and it is almost worn in two from it being loose. I am starting to see why I got this thing so cheap. Sorry but I have no other good ones.

c-series don

The same thing happened to my 1984 GT- 1800 work horse with the seat/ fender mount. However I mounted an electric cyclone spreader to the rear hitch and the last two bolts on the fender mounting pan and then loaded 200 lbs of lime in it. Then when it broke I realized that it was a stupid move on my part. At the time I was 16 and my work horse was 2! I bought it brand new and was very sad, when it broke. After removing the gas tank and doing some welding I was back in business. She's currently undergoing a complete restoration. Over the years we have talked about this area on these tractors and found that it was a bit of a weak link between the frame and the seat/fender mount. That is a nice 418 and worth fixing. I have a 416 and a 417 so of course I would love to have a 418 !!!

GreenMntRanger
On 5/29/2017 at 6:09 PM, 19richie66 said:

Went to pull the lever and it is almost worn in two from it being loose. I am starting to see why I got this thing so cheap. Sorry but I have no other good ones.

No worries