Roadhouse

New to forum

Roadhouse

Hey everyone me and my wife just bought our house in January and her father gave us his old too. It's a 93 312-8. He bought it brand new but it hasn't been used much the last few years.

I had it running all winter, using the snowblower Wich worked awesome until the chain broke. Now i took the blower off and was getting it read for the mower deck and it won't start. It just cranks and cranks.

From what I've read online it sounds like the carb needs to be rebuilt. The last time it ran I was constantly adjusting the choke. Just want to make sure that's what I need before I start throwing money at it.

I would love to get it back into good shape and running right. It has the 12 horse Kohler, any help would be grateful. Thanks!

IMG_20170429_173111.jpg

• Like 6

Gracie's Dad

I am sure there will be other more qualified people that will chime in on the subject, but both of the 312-8s that I have did the same thing. A $15 rebuild kit fixed them both, the magnum and the k series. Good luck, and welcome.

• Like 3

Digger 66

Welcome to the forum . 

A carb cleaning and fuel tank flush is first on my list with any piece of used equipment .

• Like 2

Roadhouse

Thanks for the quick replies. I figured a fuel tank flush wouldn't be a bad thing. I will order that kit and start cranking away. Thanks for the help.

• Like 2

Gracie's Dad

Digger 66 is right.  A few feet of new fuel line and a filter don't hurt either.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Image result for welcome wagon gifhdr-logo-100b.png.da5a555117fc9efc6b2e3cf498427672.png

Edited by AMC RULES

woodchuckfarmer

Don't skimp on the fuel system ,  do the hole 9 yards.

Roadhouse

I've never worked on any small engines before but I can turn a wrench, do I just get an inline filter? And should the fuel pump be replaced or no?

953 nut

:WRS:          Have you been using gas with ethanol?  That stuff will eat the rubber fuel lines and foul up a carburetor. Go to puregas.org or buyrealgas.com  to find a station near you that has ethanol free gas, cost a bit more but cheaper than replacing fuel system components every year.

Before you spend money on a carb kit check the throttle shaft for excessive side to side play, if it is too loose it suck in excess air and will cause operational problems and you would be better off buying a new one on :techie-ebay: for about $ 30. If it is good you can get a kit for about $ 10. You would be well advised to replace the fuel hose and filter as well as rebuilding/replacing the carb. If you rebuild be sure to soak the carb well because there are some very small passages to be cleaned.

• Like 2

Roadhouse

I had the carb off after it wouldn't start to clean it, but I didn't let it soak or anything. I just went out and took the carb off and there is no fuel in the bowl and there was no fuel that spilled out when I disconnected the fuel line from the carb. Im thinking the carb rebuild won't hurt regardless but will that I'm wondering if that pump is bad as well. 

Yes I have been using ethanol fuel. And I pulled the hose off so I'll be replacing the hose as well, just wondering if I should order a pump while I'm there

Also where do you guys get your parts, do you order them offline or right through the toro dealer?

doc724

If it was running all winter and now not, I would first suspect something simple like no gas or not enough in the tank. or a vacuum in the tank.  Make sure the tank is at least half full.  A 1993 machine is now 24 years old and fuel pumps get tired and do not pull too well.  If that gets is started, great.  If it does not start, pull the spark plug and squirt about 1 cc of gas into the cylinder.  Put the plug back in and crank.  There will be enough gas to ignite and run for 5 seconds.  If it does not at least fire, you know you have a fuel or electrical problem.  If it fires, the problem is a fuel delivery problem.  However, what everyone else here has said is great preventative maintenance advice.

drain the tank and clean it

get a new fuel shutoff valve and grommet

make sure the tank fill cover is venting properly

get a new fuel filter

get all new gas line (don't be cheap about the fuel line-you do not need fuel injection gas line, but buy good quality line)

Always put high quality fuel stabilizer into the gas (like Seafoam) if you cannot get ethanol free gas

953 Nut gave some good advice on a carb rebuild WRT throttle shaft wear.  If you want to know if you have too much wear, after the machine is running, squirt a LITTLE oil around where the throttle shaft enters the carb.  The oil will seal up any air leak and if there is a big enough leak, after the oil squirt, the engine will run smoother without the occasional cough.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Yes, good chance the fuel pump is gummed up with who knows what. One test that I always do is to remove the hose from the pump to the carburetor, then have someone crank the engine (with the plug wire grounded) while observing if there is fuel pumping out of the hose. If none, work back to the tank. Make sure that fuel is coming out of the tank, through the hose, through the filter and to the pump. If so, and it's not pumping out of the pump, there's your problem.

• Like 4

doc724
10 minutes ago, Roadhouse said:

I had the carb off after it wouldn't start to clean it, but I didn't let it soak or anything. I just went out and took the carb off and there is no fuel in the bowl and there was no fuel that spilled out when I disconnected the fuel line from the carb. Im thinking the carb rebuild won't hurt regardless but will that I'm wondering if that pump is bad as well. 

Yes I have been using ethanol fuel. And I pulled the hose off so I'll be replacing the hose as well, just wondering if I should order a pump while I'm there

Also where do you guys get your parts, do you order them offline or right through the toro dealer?

There is another thread here on RS from a Maine resident who has fuel problems with his 312-8.  His name is Jeff Lary.  Suggest you look into that thread as well

• Like 3

Roadhouse

i cant thank you guys enough. the wife is going to pick up some parts for me tomorrow and then i will check in as soon as i get her all back together. I pulled that hose out of the bottom of the carb and cranked it over, i didnt get any fuel coming out of the line so i might just pick up a new pump, then its one less thing to worry about. the tractor wasn't maintained as well as it should have been. Ill get it back into shape. thanks again.

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

Nobody mentioned the gas shutoff valve at the tank which has a filter screen . I had a similar problem of not getting gas and I pulled the hose off the shutoff valve and no gas would come out. You know its not getting gas at the pump So I would start from the gas tank and work to the carb. Cut the old hose off you'll probably never get it off with out screwing up something , and if you do it will probably leak if you try to reuse it

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 1

Roadhouse

I did I closed that valve and then removed the hose and the cracked that back open to drain the tank and it did drain. Not that fast but I'm not sure how fast it's suppose to come out of their.

BOB ELLISON

Run a new line  to the fuel  pump and install a new in line gas filter. 

If you disconnect the hose at the fuel pump going up to the carb and crank the engine and  no gas comes out then it's the fuel pump. A lot of guys install a electric fuel pump if the old pump goes out. When I clean a gas tank I remove it and wash it out with water and check it with a light to see if it's clean BUT THAT'S ME.

• Like 3

Roadhouse

10-4 I will give that a try

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
33 minutes ago, Roadhouse said:

10-4 I will give that a try

These fuel pumps are rebuildable if you know where to order the kits. If you go to the main page and search for fuel pump rebuild it will list a lot of posts where guys did this. And you will read where to but a electric pumps and what type you need. I love to read post here to learn all the tips and tricks these pros do .

• Like 2

Roadhouse

I'm trying to be a sponge because I don't know anything about these old tractors, but I love the look and nostalgia that comes with them. I would love to restore this tractor and let my daughter pull it at the fairs.

BOB ELLISON
14 minutes ago, Roadhouse said:

I'm trying to be a sponge because I don't know anything about these old tractors, but I love the look and nostalgia that comes with them. I would love to restore this tractor and let my daughter pull it at the fairs.

I was the same as you.  I love to work on a good quality machine. I got my first wheelhorse and it was a mess but I saw it as a great machine that someone neglected so I joined this forum to get all the info I could get about this tractor.

All the guys here helped me and I got all the experts telling me what I must do to get it running and working. I now support this site and help others with the knowledge I have. It's a  Great place to get help.this is my before and after.

You can make that wheel horse look like new and we will help you all the way. read read read and you'll find it in the search on main page .

WELCOME TO THE BEST WHEEL HORSE SITE IN THE WORLD.

20150813_205307.jpg

20151030_164116.jpg

• Like 3

Roadhouse

That is one heck of a transformation! Nice work man. I will let you guys know as soon as I get some parts.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

A lot of guys install a electric fuel pump if the old pump goes out

I have done this on a couple of them and will continue to do so on workers and customs (not restorations). You can get a low pressure universal electric fuel pump on :techie-ebay: for $ 9.00 with free shipping, can't buy a pump kit for that. Mount it low on the frame, bypass the present pump, hook the white wire to ground (frame) and the red wire will hook up to the dark green wire from your 15 amp fuse going to the light switch. No special tools needed and they do work well.

• Like 1

Roadhouse
13 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I have done this on a couple of them and will continue to do so on workers and customs (not restorations). You can get a low pressure universal electric fuel pump on :techie-ebay: for $ 9.00 with free shipping, can't buy a pump kit for that. Mount it low on the frame, bypass the present pump, hook the white wire to ground (frame) and the red wire will hook up to the dark green wire from your 15 amp fuse going to the light switch. No special tools needed and they do work well.

This definitely sounds like the best way to go. I think I'll order one now.

Howie

Take hose from tank off and confirm fuel flow to the pump. If this has been mentioned sorry. Ethanol fuel can play havoc inside those hoses.

Have seen a lot of issues with this happening. If there is fuel to the pump then pump is suspect.:)