T-Mo

May Trade for a Farmall Cub

pfrederi

I have worked an a couple of Cubs (for neighbors) and they are nice little machines.  However you hit on a few points.  The PTO runs backwards and faster than standard  Virtually all implements are unique to the cub. If you want a mold board plow they are  not hard to find but what is hard is the depth controller. (Looks like a huge parking brake lever sticks way up)  they are very hard to find and pricey.

If he is willing to trade for  JD Garden tractor it is either a really new/large JD or he is seriously under pricing his cub.  The go for significant money.

I do not know about the originality of the blade but but the later 50s the tractors were painted IH White (what I use for Wheel Horse rims) and Yellow., the blade may just be a later vintage. 

The  Depth controller is the long lever to the right of the operator seat 

193_plow001004.jpg

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

T-Mo

He's wanting $2600 which seems to be inline with what I'm seeing, though I found them for less.  My JD is worth around that price, so it would be an even trade.  He was asking for either a John Deere 2 cylinder or a John Deere lawn tractor of equal value.  John Deere GX345s in good shape like mine, can go up to $3000 give or take, so I think mine is worth what's he asking for the Cub.  Distance though is over 2 hours, so neither one of us can just run over and inspect the respective tractors.

• Like 1

pfrederi

They go for at least that at auctions around here..location location location.

The rubber looks good.  a pair of rears runs near $600.

I edited first post t show what a mold board set up looks like.

What were you wanting to use it for???

Edit:  Looked at some other Cub pics I have accumulated...Plow looks to be correct just a later vintage.

lgb.jpg

lgb1.jpg

DSC00481.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

T-Mo

i will definitely use the front blade, and it would be nice to set it up for a plow day event.  I've seen an ad on CL for a plow similar to the one you pictured in the bottom image, for $250, which doesn't sound bad, since a good Brinly Cat 0 3 point plow can fetch over $300 to $350.

Question (and at the expense of showing my ignorance on Cub stuff):  Will that moldboard plow hook to the drawbar that's on the Cub I'm looking at?  Here is the one on the CL ad I mentioned:

farmall cub plow.jpg

pfrederi

Yes it will.  You have to turn the drawbar around so the U shape faces front.  BUT!!! with out the depth control (the Long Handle and sector plate in my picture) you will not have much luck trying to use it.  That depth control is the part that is scarce.

http://farmallcub.info/pubs/implement/Cub-193 Moldboard Plow/

Edited by pfrederi

Achto

@pfrederi is correct on the depth adjuster, definitely need that to make the plow work. If you end up making the trade, I may know where you could get the adjustment set up. There is a guy near me that buys & parts out IH tractors, he may have one.

I have a Cub that I plow with, they are a great little tractors with one of the smoothest running engines you'll ever hear.

Good luck with the trade.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

The front wheels are 12" and the wheel weights I have pictured were actually made for the Cub before IH made the Cub Cadet which uses the exact same trans and differential ,just the wheel housings/axles are different, Jeff.

IMAG2124.jpg

Screenshot_20170514-162543.png

Screenshot_20170514-162431.png

• Like 1

Johndeereelfman

Too bad you aren't closer to Pennsylvania Terry, as we have a guy in Hershey that sells all years of these cubs. All red, red with the white grilles, all yellow, and yellow with the white grille. If you're planning on attending the big show, Hershey isn't that far from the show grounds and might be worth your trip to stop in and see him. He's located just off Route 743 just outside of Hershey. I believe you could find some of the tractors and implements listed under a Harrisburg Craigslist search. He usually has some pretty good attachments for sale. 

Edited by Johndeereelfman
  • Like 2

T-Mo
13 hours ago, Johndeereelfman said:

Too bad you aren't closer to Pennsylvania Terry, as we have a guy in Hershey that sells all years of these cubs. All red, red with the white grilles, all yellow, and yellow with the white grille. If you're planning on attending the big show, Hershey isn't that far from the show grounds and might be worth your trip to stop in and see him. He's located just off Route 743 just outside of Hershey. I believe you could find some of the tractors and implements listed under a Harrisburg Craigslist search. He usually has some pretty good attachments for sale. 

Thanks, Troy.  I doubt if I will be able to go to this year's show.  I would love to, but.....

I'm learning a lot about the Cubs in my research the last few days. I need to learn more, of course.  The deal mentioned in this thread may not happen though.  I believe the guy's getting cold feet and has to think about it.  The ball is in his court now and I'm not going to pressure him any.  If he backs out, there will be others.

C-101plowerpower
On 2017-5-14 at 4:36 PM, pfrederi said:

but what is hard is the depth controller. (Looks like a huge parking brake lever sticks way up)  they are very hard to find and pricey.

not all that hard to find if you know where to look, recently got a tip to look on a french auction site. almost all french cubs have them

https://www.leboncoin.fr/annonces/offres/ile_de_france/occasions/?th=1&q=farmall cub&parrot=0

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

There's the fella where I go on my "Walk abouts" he always has Cub/Farmall , PowerKing/Economy, Ford 8/9N , Oliver ect parts or knows where to get them, I'm sure I could get it for you or get you in touch with him, Jeff.

T-Mo

Just south of me, about 35-40 miles, is JP Tractor Salvage, which used to host the annual Cub-Arama in Fredricktown, Missouri.  They have tons of parts for Cubs, plus other tractors as well.  They no longer host Cub-Arama, which was hosted the last couple of years by someone else.  Cub-Arama is held the last weekend of each September and I'm expecting to go this year.  There will be tons of parts, I'm sure.  I'm hoping of having a Cub by then, if not, then.....

http://www.jptractorsalvage.com/default.asp

http://www.cub-a-rama.com/

wh500special

We had a cub like that for years.  I think it was a '51.  That little 4 cylinder chunks out a whopping 9 hp or so when in good tune.  Not a lot of power and they only have three speeds.  Dad had a 42" woods deck under it for mowing, and it was a load on there.  First gear was too slow for mowing, second too fast.   

We had had that same blade.  It worked pretty well for grading the driveway when under the tractor, but we couldn't push snow with it on the hilly driveway with just weights on the wheels. It needed chains I guess. 

We we also had the plow.   It worked really well.  And the guys are right, the depth control handle is mandatory if you want to use it.  

That one has has hydraulics.  That's a big plus.  And they're "live" which is a great feature. 

I love Cubs as collectors items, but after having one as a worker I'm not sure I'd do it again.  

Kind of funny that the cub wasn't much more expensive in 1948 than Cecil and elmers contraption.    Definately not in the same class.

see you tomorrow!

steve

• Like 1

T-Mo

I found another one, but it's overpriced and the deal wouldn't be right even if he decides to trade, unless he throws money my way.  Serial number makes it a 1951.  I have yet to really talk to the owner, the lady there didn't know much about it.  So, I'm not sure if it starts, runs, drives, if the hydraulics work, etc.  If you noticed on the inside of the left fendr is "1800" which the lady thinks is the price, which if so, is too much for what it is, in my opinion.  Also, the left rear tire is flat, and there is a lot of surface rust on the steering box in front plus the tie rod areas.  But it does have hydraulics, if working, lights, tool box, fenders, etc.

As for power, this will be more for cruising around and occasionally doing small chores (which is what I use my Wheel Horses for since my JDs do the actual work..sorry).

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

pfrederi

The two rear tires are different brands...even if they have the same nominal size they my be different diameters.  That will make her list and may affect use of some implements.

• Like 1

Ken B

My brother has owned quite a few Cubs so I've been able to ride a few of them. For what you want to use one for it will be perfect. They are more than capable of pushing quite a bit of snow with weights and chains on them. The 4 cylinder runs real smooth and sounds real nice! I'd love to have one myself but decent ones are pricey. Parts seem to be readily available... If the one you are looking at has no weld repairs, doesn't smoke, no clutch chatter and the rear end is quiet its easily worth 2600.00

• Like 1