6bg6ga

Motor or Engine?

6bg6ga

To be blunt it bothers me to hear someone ask and refer to an engine as a motor. What is a motor? My opinion here a motor is electrical and runs on either AC or DC. An engine is mechanical and runs on fuel.  Electric motor. Gas, propane, or diesel engine.

Electric motor

An electric motor is an electrical machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. The reverse of this would be the conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy and is done by an electric generator.

Engine | Definition of Engine by Merriam-Webster

Define engine: a machine that changes energy (such as heat from burning fuel) into mechanical motion

• Like 6

SylvanLakeWH

Me thinks you are right!...but I bet a lot of folks are going to say:

Tomato-Tomato.jpg

Note Regal Red color...

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 6

953 nut

If that bothers you so much then hang in there, lots of people don't care and we tend to know that a Kohler is a Kohler even if they call it a motor!

• Like 6

6bg6ga

Its a simple thread designed to promote conversation and exchange of ideas.:auto-car:

11 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

If that bothers you so much then hang in there, lots of people don't care and we tend to know that a Kohler is a Kohler even if they call it a motor!

Well, a Kohler is almost an engine.:ychain:

• Like 2

rmaynard

@6bg6ga Not to be argumentative, but I think we all know that an electric motor is not the same as an engine. However the word "motor" as defined by Merriam-Webster is a bit different than electric motor.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motor

• Like 2

6bg6ga
4 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

@6bg6ga Not to be argumentative, but I think we all know that an electric motor is not the same as an engine. However the word "motor" as defined by Merriam-Webster is a bit different than electric motor.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motor

That is the purpose of any forum. To discuss, to learn, to obtain information, to share information and experiences. I welcome the discussion on this topic I started. It doesn't really bother me that much I just started the thread to see where it would go and to be able to share others opinions and views. I would be the last person to expect a majority of people to have the same views I have. I like to stir the pot so to speak sometimes to get others to come out of the woods and finally take a breath and communicate their views instead of just reading what someone else thinks.

• Like 5

Jerry77
1 hour ago, 6bg6ga said:

finally take a breath and communicate their views instead of just reading what someone else thinks

Well, I think that everyone here has been very good at communicating, and don't need advice on how to do so.  So, if you are "trying to stir the pot", I don't believe that is a good topic for this forum.....just my :twocents-02cents:   on second thought, that probably belongs on facebook......Jerry

Edited by Jerry77
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

@6bg6ga I totally agree.......I work at JASPER ENGINES & TRANSMISSIONS...We rebuild internal combustion ENGINES.

We also own a subsidiary called JASPER ELECTRIC MOTORS, and they rebuild ELECTRIC MOTORS!

• Like 4

6bg6ga
22 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

Well, I think that everyone here has been very good at communicating, and don't need advice on how to do so.  So, if you are "trying to stir the pot", I don't believe that is a good topic for this forum.....just my :twocents-02cents:   on second thought, that probably belongs on facebook......Jerry

For the record... I don't believe in Facebook and think it should be banned. Secondly, like any other member I will post what I wish as long as it doesn't violate forum rules. .  But in the future I'l be sure to run everything thru you first for your approval. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

SPINJIM

Calm down everyone.  They're only words.

• Like 2

roadapples

After basic training at Ft. Dix, NJ. I went to Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School. If you called an engine a motor, you were doing pushups....:bitch:

• Like 3

953 nut
51 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

Calm down everyone.  They're only words.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Terry M

Engine or Motor ?  ...I think it's a fair question.    But Please, lets keep comments and answers on track and positive.     :)

Thanks,  

Terry

• Like 4

JimD

My opinion is that engines run on fossil fuels and motors on electricity. That being said I 'm satisfied that I'm intelligent enough to make the distinction myself. I'm not concerned with what we call them. :)

• Like 6

953 nut
14 minutes ago, JimD said:

engines run on fossil fuels and motors on electricity.

Since about 65% of our electricity in the USA is generated with fossil fuel I guess an electric motor is sort of an engine then.   :confusion-confused:

• Like 3

JPWH

Engine or motor you have to wire either one to make them run unless it's steam.  

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

How about a totally new acronym for our engines / motors to settle this once and for all?

I propose "WHOPPER" - Wheel Horse Origin of Propelling Power Energy and Resources.

As an example, a post on RS could read:

Hey, my C-105 10 HP WHOPPER is blowing a thick blue haze at start-up, but then stops after a while - Is that normal?

While on the Electric WH threads it could read:

Hey, my E-141 WHOPPER is making a funny noise, kinda like a file on a metal edge. Should I be concerned?

Now - After 15 - 20 Supporters chime in and pester the poor dude for not posting pictures, I think they would eventually get around to answering his question - regardless of which fossil fuel (coal, natural gas or Gasoline) fueled his WHOPPER at the time of the event noted...

Now can't we all just get along and stare at the red eye candy elsewhere on this forum (including their WHOPPERS)? :ychain:

• Like 4

shallowwatersailor

There is the old military adage: "This is my rifle, this is my gun..."

A motor runs on electricity or hydraulics. An engine burns fuel to run. And yes, there were pushups done (by others!) at USCG EN "Class A" School. 

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 2

953 nut

What about a steam engine that is powered by an electric boiler?     :confusion-confused:

Image result for stir the pot

• Like 6

SylvanLakeWH
21 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

What about a steam engine that is powered by an electric boiler?     :confusion-confused:

Image result for stir the pot

Still a WHOPPER...

• Like 4

wallfish

Doesn't matter to me what you call them since most people understand the difference and constantly use both terms. I've never heard anyone ever call an electric motor an engine so usually I understand what they're talking about. For now anyway.

• Like 4

953 nut
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

I've never heard anyone ever call an electric motor an engine

Obviously you don't know my brother-in-law! He is a brainiac, but can't screw in a light bulb. 

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse
9 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Obviously you don't know my brother-in-law! He is a brainiac, but can't screw in a light bulb. 

@953 nut I did not know my brother married into your family.

• Like 4

Dakota8338

The comparisons are actually quite germane, to the technical or purist, but to the layman and average person it is a mute point, because they know about that which they are actually speaking and technicalities does not enter into the equation. 

• Like 3