War_horse86

1st wheel horse

War_horse86

New to the red square site and the proud owner of a Raider 10. I have read some conflicting information on the internet but I thinks it's a 1969 or 70. Can anyone verify for me? The model# is 1 -6041 and serial # 571354. Engine is a Tecumseh hh100. Look forward to the new hobby and using this site. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!!

20170504_164106.jpg

20170504_161649.jpg

20170504_164151.jpg

20170504_162235.jpg

• Like 5

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Toro has the 1-6041 listed as a 1970 model but it is a 1969

Garry

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:    Looks like you got a good one!     :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-yeahthat:

rjg854

:WRS:  looks as though the previous owner(s) kept in fine shape :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

Sparky

:WRS:

Mike....

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@War_horse86 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

You found a nice looking machine!

• Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to the :rs: War horse...We're glad your here.  That is a nice looking :wh: Raider you got there.  If you have any questions, all you have to do is ask and someone will be here to give you help and advise. 

Jim

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat::WRS:

• Like 1

Tgtack

Welcome! Your the one! I was looking at that one as well, and called owner back right after he agreed to sell to you! That is a great buy you got, glad that it went to a good home. I am in Ohio also, up near Lake Erie. PM me if you need anything. If you have not found a starter yet, I saved a link for a new one, believe was right around $48.

Great Score!

• Like 1

War_horse86

This is my first tractor and to be quiet honest I don't know a lot. Such a small world. I haven't spent much time on it yet but something is definitely up with the starter.  I put 12v to it and it seems to run fine but when I put it back on the tractor it binds up when trying to engage flywheel.  Send the link over if you don't mind. 

How much experience do you have with wheel horses? 

Thanks!

gwest_ca

If you have a voltmeter connect it to the stud on the starter motor where your cable bolts on and ground the other lead to the battery negative post. See what the voltage is when you are trying to start it. It may be that the voltage required is not getting to the starter or battery is not capable of supplying the required voltage.

If it is less than 12 volts work your way back to the battery (+) to see where it is losing the voltage. Check the voltage at both ends of every cable as you try starting. The high current draw of the starter will magnify a point of high resistance to current flow. It can happen at the terminal to stud connection (corrosion) or the cable to terminal on the cable (bad internal connection). You may get all the way back to the battery to find the voltage is low which is either lack of charge or defective because it won't take or hold a good charge.

Also make sure the engine block has a good clean connection to the battery (-) cable.

Let us know what you find.

Garry

• Like 1

Tgtack

I pm'd you some information.

• Like 1

Tgtack

I was looking at this tractor also, and talked with the owner at length. This was his parents tractor and the starter went out years ago. The repair shop gave them a quote in the $$$'s for a new starter, and it simply was parked in the garage for years until the son decided he was tired of pushing it around and sold it. I am a little concerned when you state that it binds up. Rotate the engine and check condition of teeth on the flywheel through the starter opening to make sure no damage there. Most likely, the bearings and/or the casting bore for the shaft in the starter housing are worn out, and when torque is produced when trying to turn the motor, the starter internals are shifting and rubbing internally.

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 2

Terry M

:WRS:    I enjoy seeing the Tecumseh powered Horses still in service...B).

• Like 1