ebinmaine

'75 B80 Drive Belt guide help

ebinmaine

First I want post a huge THANKS to everyone on this site. I acquired a 1975 B80 for yard use. You all have been VERY helpful during the last few months.

Here's my actual issue: I have a stock 8 hp Kohler and 4 spd trans. I put some Carlisle super lug 23 x 10.50 tires on the rear. To compensate for the increased diameter I wanted to decrease the size of the engine drive pulley. I went from a 4 inch down to a 2.5 inch. I have a 80 inch belt on now.  I got what I wanted in the speed of the tractor but now the clutch won't disengage. I poked around here and discovered that I need to modify/ make some belt guides because the front pulley is so much smaller....

Any thoughts or ideas of how I can do this? What have you done to yours?

Thanks again !!!

Eric 

Achto
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Any thoughts or ideas of how I can do this? What have you done to yours?

Here is a belt brake that I made for a recent project that I'm working on. It's made from a piece of flat steel and round stock. A cut off bolt will work in place of the round stock also.

IMG_20170512_182638768-min.thumb.jpg.5c6f1faddd9e73376c5d899f98bec7d7.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

Here's my solution to the problem: I poked around looking at several other threads and the pics in them... and then went for a stare at my own tractor. The stock belt shield has a tab sticking out the engine end, top and bottom. I bent them towards the belt to take up the extra air space created by the much smaller pulley. It worked !!