Fordiesel69

B-100 snaps your neck / spine during clutch release.

Fordiesel69

Had this issue since bought in late 1990's.

Last summer I replaced belt with genuine toro belt correct for tractor, I deglazed the pulleys with some emery cloth, I installed a new return spring thinking it was not stiff enough.  When letting off the clutch pedal, it launches the tractor very aggressivly.  None of my other 8 speeds do this.   

WHX??

My 857 does that and now with a new TSC belt the 1257 can really rear up. I get her up hill I can do some nice wheelies! :auto-dirtbike: It went from slipping city to grab & go. I just learned to clutch  out easy.

• Like 2

EricF

A belt cross-section that seats really well and deep in the pulleys, combined with the new, grippy belt compound will grab like no tomorrow. Add in some great :wh: engine torque, and it's pretty easy to get a "surprise" launch. Definitely have to let the clutch out slow and gentle; you'll want to intentionally slip the belt a little to ease into the "bite" from the pulleys.

Seat position has some to do with it, too. Harder to control the take-up with the pedal if your leg is fairly straight at the engagement point. Shift forward slightly to have more bend at the knee to control it. I'm short, and learned that lesson from driving various tractors and manual transmission vehicles over the years. (The harshest teacher was an old Ford pickup with a three-speed column shift and heavy-duty, fully manual clutch -- no hydraulic actuator, just straight manual linkage. If you didn't control the clutch take-up firmly and carefully, it could kick the pedal back and slam your knee into the steering wheel rim faster than you could say "Ouch!")

I still love manual transmissions, but my 520 hydro has me spoiled now... :D

• Like 3

Fordiesel69

I will make a video.  Its not user error.  You can let it out as slow as you want.  It hits a spot in its clutch travel where it will violently enaguage.

I am bringing tractor home for service and possible replacement, so I will make a video.  This problem has me completely baffeled.  

JimmyJam

A video would be helpful. New belts grip tight until they are "broken-in". Was the return spring you replaced original Toro Part as well? Or just a stiffer spring?

Fordiesel69

It snapped harder with the old worn out belt.  So much that it would pop a wheelie.  

Spring is genuine toro looked up for a b-100.  It is stiffer than the worn out one which I thought would help the precision of the clutch action.