jsPond

Tiller hookup help

jsPond

I need a little help here.  I've never owned a tiller for my tractor until now.  I'm pretty clear on everything except for where to route the lift cable.  I have a 315-8 and it does not have the tube that you would normally run the cable through.  I'm going to look at it a little more in depth tonight but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to run that cable which makes no sense to me.  The tiller should be able to hook up.  From what I could see so far, there seems to be a metal bracket beside the shifter which has some electrical connections attached to it.  Near as I can tell, that's where the cable should go.  Looks like I could drill a hole in that bracket without harm to pass the cable through but it also looks like I would hit another dead end.  Anyone have any pictures or diagrams that could help me?

clueless

I'm pretty sure your 315-8 didn't come with the cable tube nor the lift lever (rock shaft) under the seat, you will need these. Go to the manual section here you will find what you need for your tractor, and your tiller. Then go to the vendor section, Wheelhorseman 1000's has every thing you need. The problem with buying used tillers is you rarely get every thing you need:(

wheelhorseman

Here are some pictures 

WP_20150210_016.jpg

WP_20150314_002.jpg

WP_20150314_003.jpg

WP_20150314_004.jpg

WP_20150314_006.jpg

• Like 1

jsPond

Thank you.  Very helpful.  Now, would you happen to have a shot of where the lift cable goes by the shifter?  The area ahead of what the first shot in your post shows?  That area is my problem area.  I do not have the rocker shaft but I have two parts machines that I need to check out before I order anything.

gwest_ca

This operator manual should explain how it is done

This illustrated parts list will show what it takes to do it

Garry

jsPond
1 minute ago, gwest_ca said:

This operator manual should explain how it is done

This illustrated parts list will show what it takes to do it

Garry

Thanks.  I did download a manual but I thought a real world picture would be helpful.  Diagrams are always perfect world situations while pictures show what really goes on.  I need to get this hooked up and functional in the next week or so, so I guess I'm cutting corners and trying to make this as easy as I can on myself.

WVHillbilly520H

I don't have pictures of a manual trans all mine are hydro but where the frame (4) bolts to the trans there's a small hole (maybe 5/16" diameter) about dead center at the top where the cable goes through (its kinda a PITA but not all that bad approximately where the orange wire with silver clip is hanging in my pic) then the cable is attached via a clevis to the mower/mid rockshaft (where the snow blower lift link is in my pic) and the guide tube really is a necessity as the cable will wear through the trans case without it as well as the rear under seat rock shaft and the snow plow axle quick hitch to fit the tiller up, Jeff.  

post-11822-0-95045200-1416158570_thumb.jpg

IMAG2022.jpg

IMAG2553.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi

Pictures of the tube  in an 8 speed.  Look to me like the tube is sort of necessary or the cable will be rubbing on the shifter

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3346.JPG

• Like 2

clueless

If you don't have the rear rock shaft your going to need a larger cable to try and I mean try to lift the tiller. The rock shaft is the back bone of the tiller, depth, lifting, and lowering. You can probably cut some corners, but it's just not going to work well. 

jsPond
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Pictures of the tube  in an 8 speed.  Look to me like the tube is sort of necessary or the cable will be rubbing on the shifter

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3346.JPG

Yes, that's what I was looking for.  I did manage to find where everything goes this evening.  I actually got a piece of small PVC to run a tube, just to try it.  I realize it won't last long but it may give me enough time to get the daughters garden tilled.

29 minutes ago, clueless said:

If you don't have the rear rock shaft your going to need a larger cable to try and I mean try to lift the tiller. The rock shaft is the back bone of the tiller, depth, lifting, and lowering. You can probably cut some corners, but it's just not going to work well. 

Boy, you're not kidding.  The guy I bought the tiller from didn't have the rock shaft either.  He was running it straight cable.  Armstrong hydraulics for sure!  I'm going to try a little something that may help and get me going until I can get the proper parts.  I want to eventually get another horse that is a dedicated tiller tractor and forget all this nonsense.  I threw my back out trying to lift the stupid thing to see how high it can go so worked stopped for tonight.  Will try all this tomorrow.  Thanks for the help guys!

tgranthamfd

I bought a clevis hitch set up, when I got my tiller, and I think it came with a cable tube, in case there wasn't one. It's been a while, I may be wrong.

jsPond
7 minutes ago, tgranthamfd said:

I bought a clevis hitch set up, when I got my tiller, and I think it came with a cable tube, in case there wasn't one. It's been a while, I may be wrong.

Appreciate the input.  I have procured the necessary parts to hook this thing up from a forum member (wheelhorseman1000).  The only other thing that was missing (as I later found out) was the lift point on the hood of the tiller.  I ended up fabricating one and bolting it on.  Not pretty but functional.  I think I'm finally ready to try this thing out!  With the lift point set up already on the tiller, it's obvious that it's not the one that should be on the tractor.  It should, however, work all the same.

tgranthamfd

They are a handy item to have, even if you don't use them a lot. Functionality is what counts!

I didn't realize this was an old post, guess I should get on here more often!! LOL