Tgtack

Lessons for the new Wheel Horse buyer

Racinbob

That's a lot of excellent information. Well done :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5

Lane Ranger

This is a very helpful and caution light giving rundown of what a buyer or a New/Old  Wheel Horse should be considering.     As yours was 50 plus years old  (and many more of them are still out there like it)  -the list covers most of what to look for and consider when buying and or bought and repairing for continued use!

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

On the older models with the tilting seat pan.there is not much metal at the rear mounting points causing the holes to have cracks in them. I used light gauge angle iron to form a U-shape that then bolts to the top of the seat pan tower/tool box.  On the modern 3,4,500 series, the same can be said of the tower area. Even though the seat pan does not ilt in that area, the seat itself has cantilevered mount areas and mine was so cracked it nearly dumped me off he tractor because it was hanging by a thread. Mowing side ditches puts a lot of stress on this type of seat and my 520 has a lot of hours. All the blame does not belong on tractor design

Some of us old guys put high backed seats on the early models of tractor for comfort When dismounting the tractor, we tend to lean on the seat back. On the tilting seat pan models, it is possible to lean back with enough force to have the seat pan latch to let go and dump you off the tractor. Either add a second latch or drill and bolt the fenders and add bolts through the top of the footrest assembly. 

i landed right on my tailbone. on a gravel driveway. I was half way up a ramp loading the Raider10 and probably dropped 4 feet. I was off work for two days.  Again another example of operator error because i moved the seat higher and to the rear.

On the newer tractors, be aware that the transmission belt vibrates the idler pulley and it puts side load on the bushing. It is out of sight behind the belt guard. The transmission tunnel is made of thin metal and the bushing can cut through and rapidly create an egg shaped hole and even cut into the pulley swing arm.

Change the bushing and keep oil on it.

How long has it been since you removed and cleaned the top hat bearing on the PTO engage clutch? It is a wonderful piece of engineering, but a bit of cleaning and fresh oil on the needle bearings will not hurt a thing.

• Like 3

Tgtack

Ohiofarmer, Thanks for sharing and adding to the list!

• Like 1

wfrpalm

Pics?

Freetown Fred

Ditto--thanx for that O.

Retired Wrencher

Tgtack  Sounds like you have it covered. You off to a good start. I have always thought that these tractors are like a book. They have a story to tell. I know it is corny.  You just don`t what you are getting till you use them. Enjoy the project.

• Like 2

Tgtack
1 hour ago, wfrpalm said:

Pics?

I will get some pics later today and add them in to the post.

W9JAB

:wwp:

• Like 1

Tgtack
9 hours ago, W9JAB said:

:wwp:

Pictures added to the original post above 

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher
11 hours ago, Tgtack said:

Pictures added to the original post above 

Tgtack that looks like a lot of crack metal.  It`s good you caught it now.

JPWH

That :wh: has been worked very hard. Nice job on the repairs. You may want to consider beefing up the transmission mounting plate.

• Like 1