dlaw90

314-8 Consistently Starts on 2nd Try

dlaw90

I have a 1999 314-8. It never starts on the 1st try whether it is hot or cold outside. It always starts immediately on the 2nd try. Is there anything I should be checking/fixing or is this just typical of a 18 year old tractor. The hour meter reads about 350 hours.

If the tractor is stopped and restarted during mowing/plowing, it will start on the first try.

This is my first tractor, so no response is too obvious...

Edited by dlawrence529

chip61

My 96 does the same thing if it sets more than a couple days. These fuel pumps take a while to pick up fuel especially when there is not much fuel in the tank. Mine does better if I fill it up before I park it. I've seen where some people put primer bulbs (like an outboard has) in the fuel line.

• Like 1

Jerry77
1 hour ago, dlawrence529 said:

It never starts on the 1st try whether it is hot or cold outside

What do you mean by the first try?  Do you have to do something other than just turn the key off and then turn it on again and it starts?

• Like 1

rmaynard

If the bowl of the carburetor has gas in it, the engine should fire on the first try. However, it is a problem with the gas running back toward the tank via gravity, maybe a small check valve in the fuel line between the pump and the tank might help. The check valves in the pump itself are supposed to keep that from happening, but as you said, after 18 years they may be weak. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/#check-valves/=17kvrf9

• Like 2

dcrage

My 310-8 has done this (exactly as you described) for years. Mine might need 3 attempts to start on occasion. This is surely the fuel issue as described by Bob. One thing you might try immediately is to use the shut-off valve at the bottom of the fuel tank.  (Remember to open the valve the next time you want to use your tractor!!!!!)  I personally have not tried any of the 'corrective' fixes, I just run the starter until the fuel system is filled. The downside of this practice is the additional wear and tear on the starter. 

• Like 1

EricF

Maybe I'm just old, but engines that always start on the very first try seem like a modern thing to me -- the realm of computerized engine controls and electronic fuel injection systems -- something that started with cars in the 90s.

Most carburetor-equipped engines I've known need to either pump more fuel up into the carb, or at least get the fuel pressure up to spec before they'll start -- and that's if the right amount of choke is applied. The first crank usually gets the fuel ready, and gives you a hint as to needing choke and how much. (Or to get an automatic choke to open or close as it should.) The second crank usually gets it going for real.

I suppose cranking it longer will eventually result in it starting on the first (extended) crank, but I don't like to run the starter too long at one go unless I really have to -- like with a flooded or genuinely troublesome engine. Maybe it's just muscle memory in my hand, but I'll always let go of the key and wait a few seconds, then crank again if it doesn't start within my habitual few key-holding seconds. Cold or damp weather usually adds more chances of an almost-start-then-stall, to be followed by really starting on one more crank. That pretty much sums up the behavior of most of the carburetor-equipped engines I've known, large or small.

• Like 1

Tankman

Go with a check valve, very inexpensive.  https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/toro/995000

Then, always fuel the Horse before he settles down in the barn.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Air in the fuel tank, cooling, will condensate (moisture/water) in the fuel. Not good for any gas engine.

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

dlaw90
23 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

What do you mean by the first try?  Do you have to do something other than just turn the key off and then turn it on again and it starts?

I will just turn the key for a few seconds. The engine cranks/sputters but won't start. Turn the key to off. Wait few seconds. Turn the key again. The engine starts instantly.

Thanks for all the advice. I will make sure I fill it up after each use and look at adding/replacing the check valve.

Edited by dlawrence529

EricF

I wouldn't worry too much about it. When the engine hasn't run, the first crank "wakes it up" and gets fuel flowing. A quick start on the second crank is pretty typical. Once it's warmed up, it ought to start instantly. Engines that have trouble starting when hot tend to concern me more.