6bg6ga

Tachometer?

6bg6ga

I'm sure there are members that have purchased a special tachometer for their small engine/engines. Has anyone modified a tachometer that runs off stator pulses to work with your engine? I seem to recall years back an outboard I had that had a switch you could change for the number of cylinders and I believe it ran off of stator output. If my memory is correct one could make a change in the circuit that

allows one to select the cylinders to make the unit work with a small engine with less money out the door. An Onan P216V for example has 18 poles on the stator if my memory is correct. One should be able to adapt that via a circuit change to run a tach to provide an accurate RPM indication. Naturally one would want to check it with an aftermarket RPM counter that works via a piece of sensing tape on the flywheel.

Any comments?

Edited by 6bg6ga

Achto
2 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

I'm sure there are members that have purchased a special tachometer for their small engine/engines. Has anyone modified a tachometer that runs off stator pulses to work with your engine?

Give this post a read, a lot of good info on tachs in here.

6bg6ga

Awesome!!    I did a search but didn't pull anything up before I posted this thread. 

• Like 1