tallen4392

417-8

tallen4392

Hey guys can anyone tell  me what they think of the engines on these machines don't hear much about them I believe it is a kohler twin good bad or stay away  thanks it has about 800 hours on it   Thanks again 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Depends on the model year. Earlier C175 used Series 1 KT17s  The oiling system was weak and if run low on oil or run on hill they had a tendency tp throw a rod.  The Series 2 used on later models had much improved oil pressure systems and are excellent engines.  Just finished mowing a neighbors yard (Hadn't been mowed yer 8-10 inches tall) the C175  with a Series 2 did a great job.  no power issues.

That said I also have a Series 1 with well over 2000 hours it still runs well smokes a bit on start up.  Keep a series 1 full up (or a little over) avoid runnng long periods on hills they will probably work just fine.

Spec #24300 and up are Series 2

• Like 4

Aldon

:text-yeahthat:

slammer302

Search seires 2 Kohler and there is lots of info to read.

Ken B

The 417's are my favorite work tractor. Any 417 I've ever seen has had the Series 2 engine in it. They are a great engine and one of the best sounding engines Kohler ever made in my opinion. If the one one you are looking at has only 800 hours on it and if it was at all taken care of then in most cases it has a long life ahead of it. I had one that had 2200 hours on it, it ran so nice that I treated it to an 8 hr. refurb.. If the price is right I'd grab it.

001_zpsa0461af5.jpg

008_zpsfe305a00.jpg

005_zps169cdfab.jpg

• Like 5

T-Mo

Unless it's not the original engine, all 417s will have a Series II engine.  The Series I was phased out around 1981, 1982 or 1983, long before the first 417 was produced, which would have been around 1985.  Let's look at the production run of the John Deere 317 which used the KT17.  The first ones, 1979, 1980 and 1981 used the Series I engine, and by the second year, the engine failures began to occur and Deere dropped in, free of charge to the customer, an Onan replacement.  Meanwhile Kohler began to realize their design mistake, and started to produce the Series II engine which Deere then started to used in the 317 in late 1981 and was used until the last 317 was made in 1983.  By 1983 there were absolutely no more Series I engine being made by Kohler.  Due to the reputation the JD 317 got because of the Series I engine, Deere stopped using Kohler engines in their new designs and started to use Onans and Kawasaki engines.  This lasted for a decade or more until Kohler came out with the Command series engines.

So, in summary, all 417 Wheel Horses would have to have the Series II engines since Kohler stopped making the Series I engines long before the first 417 was made. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

My bad i didn't note the subject line specified 417  I only read the text about KT 17 motors.  Obviously all 417s had Series 2.  Interesting info about the John Deere factor.  My over 2000 hour Series 1 came out of my brothers JD 317.  He put in a replacement Series 2 after long  long use on the Series 1 as he didn't like the smoking on start up plus she had several seal leaks.   Couple new seals and some parts swapping and it re-powered a C175 I picked up for 50 bucks at an auction that had a blown Series 1.  She still soldiers on running my sweepster.

boovuc

The 417 8 is one of my favorites and my top twin Wheelhorse. You have to love the electric lift! I will say that finding good points for them is difficult!

417-8 Done3.JPG

• Like 4

tims tractors

Probably want to restore that I think I may have seen some dust on a tire or not, anyway I,m Jealous!!!   Tim