Jeff_B

Mower, spindles & bearings

Jeff_B

A couple questions for the 'seasoned' WH enthusiasts. This is regarding the mower deck on my C-101 8-speed. The 36-inch deck works fine right now, but I wouldn't mind having an extra set of spindles on hand 'just in case' (it uses 103119). What's the best source for these spindles? Also pulleys with bearings. Obviously, I want parts that'll last, not fail quickly. Especially important for parts that have sealed bearings, and I suspect there are a lot of 'bargain' junk parts out there. Second, someone is selling a 48-inch deck, locally on Craigslist. "Never hurts to have a spare," my father used to say. Even though it would fit the machine, is this mower WAY too taxing for my 10-hp tractor? (I suspect so.) Could I get away with using a 42-inch deck? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Your C-101 (10hp) could handle the 48" deck, but would be much happier with the 42".  Unless you've overhauled it, the Kohler engine is pushing 40 years old.....  do you really want to risk over-taxing it.

As for the 36" spindles...  I you are merely looking for 'stand by' spindles, I can provide them.  They are not new and they have good bearings without any drag or wobble.  Of course, they are cast iron...as original.  I ahve 4 or 5 of them in good useable condition.

By the sounds of it though, you'd onluy be happy with NEW so I suggest Ebay.  You can get a set of 3 bearings # 103119 for around $75.  I can provide good used cast iron HOUSINGS for these new bearings.  

Contact me ouside of Red Square......my email is:  

daveoman@windstream.net 

953 nut

:WRS:    As Dave said, I have a 48" deck that came with my 953 (9.6 HP) and it works great as long as the grass isn't allowed to get too tall. A 42" or smaller deck is pretty much the standard for a 10 HP :wh:. The spindles are very interchangeable on decks from the same era, you could buy the 48" and harvest the spindles and pulleys for future needs if the price is right. I have a couple of them in my barn for that purpose, they aren't making new ones any more so a goo used one is worth hanging onto.

gwest_ca

You may want to investigate the availability of blades with the 5/8" x 3/4" double-D holes. They are no longer available from many suppliers. Since about 1979-80 they use blades with a 3/4" center hole.

Garry