BigRed84

Carlisle Tru Power Tires

BigRed84

I assumed I could find tons of info searching the typical best and biggest and all that, but I was surprised there wasn't too much info specifically relating to my tractor.  Is there anyone that has first hand experience with the 314-H (or -8...I assume trans doesn't change tire sizes).  Currently the tires on my tractor are 23 x 9.50 -12.  Since I don't use it to cut the grass anymore, i'll be using it strictly to work in the garden, haul the cart around the yard, and snow blow in the winter, I think the Carlisle tru-power bar lug design should do well.  They only seem to be 10.50 width.  Does anyone know, or have first hand experience for fitment on a 314?   (without modifying axle hub or fenders)

pfrederi

I have them on my 310-8 which should have the same fender clearances as your 314.  Note how much wider they are than the deestones of the same size

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

• Like 2

Jerry77

If you use the 10.50 and then put chains on them, the chains will likely hit the posts that hold the brake lining on.. I had that problem and had to alter the brake posts for clearance..the chains will come very close to the cooling fan for the tranny too....just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

farmer

I don't have experience of the Carlisle tru power tyre, but I would say that if you intend to use a plough in your garden, (say a 10" Brinley) go for 23x 8.50 -12 rears. 

Brand really doesn't make much difference, but width does. :twocents-twocents:

• Like 3

BigRed84

WOW!! Thanks for the pic...that almost looks too wide for what I was expecting.  Both of those tires in the comparison photo are labeled as 10.5?? 

That does bring me to another question then....My main use for the tractor will be garden work, hauling a semi-heavy cart around, eventually I would love to have a plough set up, and snow blowing the paved driveway and path down to my wood shed which is on grass and hills.  Maybe a narrower tire would be better?  I'm confused, all my knowledge of tires comes from the mud tires I get for my jeep and truck, and the concept was always wider being better for off road use, narrow being better for snow.  True for tractors as well?  I don't think the 314 has a locking diff right?  (one tire-fire if I started spinning?)

roadapples

Narrow tires and chains for snow...:handgestures-thumbupright:

Achto

You could drop to a 23-8.50x12 Carlisle, you will only loose an inch of width and if you wish to use a mold board plow it will fit a little better in the furrow. Just my opinion. Or the Deestone 10.50's are actually closer to 9.50 in width if you wish to stay close to original.

• Like 1

BigRed84

So if the Carlisle 10.50 is that much wider than the Deestone....would it be safe to say the Carlisle 8.50 runs slightly wider than advertised as well?  I measured the turf tires I have on there now.  Advertised as 9.50....the tread themselves only measures 9"....i can see 9.50 if I measure straight out from sidewall to sidewall but i didn't think that was the accurate measurement.  I definitely didn't want to lose any height either so if the Deestone runs small on height as well as width I might stick with the 23 x 8.50 from Carlisle.  Thanks for the advice fellas.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

For most tires the width equals section width which is overall. Side wall to side wall. I would go with the 23x8.50 as well. 

Randy

WVHillbilly520H

These Nanco 23x10.50-12 Ags I bought run right at 9.50 wide mounted and inflated, might be exactly what you want I'm very satisfied with them, Jeff.

IMAG3113.jpg

IMAG3100.jpg

IMAG3094.jpg

IMAG3041.jpg

IMAG3040.jpg

BigRed84

I might just go with the Carlisle 23x8.50 and figure out if its too narrow once I have them.  Has quality of Carlisle gone down since they are made in china now?  Not sure how accurate that info is but that's what several searches turn up when I look. 

Does WH forum have a preferred tire vendor so I can order a set? 

pfrederi

Yes both tires in my picture are 23 10.50 x12  Deestones run small.

Also you have an open differential it will spin one wheel.  (That is why I converted the 310-8 in my pictures to a 10 pinion limited slip)

As to China and quality...try to find a small tire NOT made in China anymore.

Edited by pfrederi

BigRed84
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

As to China and quality...try to find a small tire NOT made in China anymore.

Yea I was afraid that was going to be the answer.  It's a shame how much the U.S.A. has unloaded for cheap labor overseas...but that's a whole different topic.  haha

Thanks again for all the info, i'll post up pics if I decide to go with the 23x8.50 Carlisle.

aHorseofCourse

My tru powers were made in USA.  Some of their smaller tires are made in china

classicdmax

I just order me a set of 23-10.50-12 off amazing, they had the best price 

10 hours ago, pfrederi said:

(That is why I converted the 310-8 in my pictures to a 10 pinion limited slip)

Sorry to get off topic, I'd love to do this to my tractor. J imagine it greatly increases traction. How does it affect turning?

Edited by classicdmax

pfrederi
12 hours ago, classicdmax said:

I just order me a set of 23-10.50-12 off amazing, they had the best price 

Sorry to get off topic, I'd love to do this to my tractor. J imagine it greatly increases traction. How does it affect turning?

It is not a locking differential merely a ltd slip.  I see no impact on steering.   Mine was an 8 speed.  Ihave to think a bit about doing the swap in a later model hydro (the older Sundstrand hydos Chargers/Electros used the 10 pinion so it may be possible.