porschpow

Washing underside of mower deck

porschpow

So I am new to having a tractor, so I know that over time clippings and such get jammed under the mower deck.  What is the best way to routinely clean under the deck.

Garden hose squirted in the deck via the grass chute?

Thisguyisnew

I might be disagreed with for saying this but no water should ever be squirted under any deck. Trust me just remove the deck, a good scraper and stiff brushes will work just as well. Sometimes a mild cleaning solution can be used but it doesn't need to be hosed down.

• Like 1

WHX??

Whats your theory behind that new guy? I wash mine after every cutting. I have deck wash fittings on my decks with quick connects. I have never had a problem with doing this other than normal bearing replacements. I have a 16-38HLX that came factory  with said deck wash fittings and I thought it was a good idea so ordered the fittings and installed it on most of my working decks. It does need to be done after every cutting or it builds up and then doesn't work. I also wash down the tops makes it easier to work on when needed. If I am not mistaken several of my owners manuals suggest doing this.

• Like 1

Jerry77
47 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

I have deck wash fittings on my deck

I use mine after every cutting --when I sharpen the blades the deck has NO buildup...washing down the top and parking it in the sun to dry will prevent most of the rusting that occurs under the clippings that build up on top of the deck.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

My dad bought a new tractor and deck in 1985. After he cuts each time the deck comes off and he made a stand that will support the deck if the front is lifted and rolled over so the bottom is exposed. It hangs there at about a 15 degree angle with the bottom facing up. It is bushed or scraped to remove all cuttings and left in that position until the next cut. There is not a spec of paint left on the bottom but there is no rust either. Simply because when flipped over it can dry. It gets a coat of oil in the fall after the last cut and that is it.

Garry

• Like 3

slammer302

When I buy a used deck I always power wash the under side. If it's already rusted I coat with oil and will repeat coating with oil frequently till the metal gets seasoned. If the deck has no rust I will repaint or use graphite coating or por15.

WHX??

Running the deck after washing helps dry it and can further contribute to enhanced seat time.

• Like 1

Thisguyisnew

I thought there might be disagreement. I would like to say it is just a matter of preference but also from experience used both and dry method works better with no wet grass sludge. Also maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had a deck rust, crack or blow out with gravel

Edited by Thisguyisnew

WHX??

Yes matter of personal :twocents-02cents: My personal preference is to not have my 60 yo back give out dragging heavy @$$ decks out from under tractors!

• Like 4

Thisguyisnew

I don't like it either but my C-160 has been good to me and I just would like to return the favor as long as I still can...

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

How would you like to drag and flip the 480 lb 60" cut fabricated deck on my new Mahindra? Anyway on my 520s with 48" decks I use a set of metal (in my case) 8" car ramps drive up on them till nearly in the tire "pockets" then crawl under scrape the worst and "wash" with garden hose sometimes deck running (yes a safety NO NO) but then either let it set a dry or use compressed air to dry, then some "cooking spray" or "MoDeck" to help with grass not sticking as bad till I sling mole hills then that clay builds up worse than the grass, till removing whole deck for blade swap and thorough clean, repeat, repeat ect till fall,  no rust through yet on my bought new 520 in 19 years can't say the same on the last 2 I brought home last year, Jeff.

IMAG2686.jpg

IMAG2127.jpg

• Like 3

Lee1977

The only time I wash my mower deck is when I am forced to mow wet grass. I mow when the grass is dry in the afternoon some times the weather don't let that happen. When your way over a week behind and it's still wet you just have to mow.

• Like 1

RJR49

Ditto's Lee1977. I try not to EVER mow wet grass

pfrederi
12 minutes ago, RJR49 said:

Ditto's Lee1977. I try not to EVER mow wet grass

That is also my plan....but this year it has not been possible:(

• Like 1

608KEB

I use car ramps. I also run a fan at the deck. I oil it in the fall when done. I remove deck maybe twice a year and pressure washer it.

• Like 3

Tankman

:text-yeahthat: I drive up on ramps, hose, dry with compressed air. Once a year off, through cleaning, paint, more grease, new belt if needed.

Always TSC Huskee Kevlar belts, never had one fail, inexpensive too! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

slim67

At work we scrape everything off with putty knives and wire brushes. Blades get sharpened and spindles get greased. We do lift the fronts up with a forklift and pressure wash when we have time during the nice weather and finally when they get put away for winter. I scrape , pressure wash and lube the deck on my John Deere along with a blade sharpening after spring is over and before its put away for winter.

• Like 1