BigRed84

Keeping it forever

BigRed84

Hi all,

I remember back into the mid 80's when my Dad had his first wheel horse...I wish I knew the model.  That one eventually kept overheating so he purchased a brand new 314-H in 1998 and when he recently passed away, I took the tractor home and began using it around the yard for lugging heavy loads, and snow blowing.  Seeing how much it coasts to get a comparable tractor these days, and the condition this one is currently in, I'm going to try to keep it forever.  When I see the amount of guys on these forums with models as far back as the 60s ( I know things have changed since then) it just makes me want to hold on to this as long as I can.  See everyone on the boards! 

-Chris-

1003161832~2.jpg

• Like 6

WHX??

:WRS: Chris, That's a nice looking, well kept horse. Sounds like you already know about our love affair with theses little red tractors! :)

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:  Chris.

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS:   Nice looking tractor. With it's background, it's a keeper for sure! 

• Like 1

Jerry77

:text-welcomeconfetti:   to   :rs:Chris....that is pretty close to the perfect machine IMHO...

• Like 1

W9JAB

"Seeing how much it coasts to get a comparable tractor these days"

This got me thinking just what would be a "comparable tractor"

From WHAT i SEE UNLESS YOU GO WITH KUBOTA or Husqvarna.

and only top of the line have frames most have stamped pans.

• Like 3

BigRed84

Thanks everyone...especially for the compliments.  This tractor means a lot to me since it was also the last one my dad owned! 

As for comparable, the same dealer that this WH came from now sells the Husqvarna line....we looked into the GT52XLSi or something similar, still didn't seem as well built as the 20 year old WH, but was in deed a garden tractor as opposed to the garbage the big dept stores sell.  Coming in close to $4000, and almost $5000 for a JD that compared to the Husqvarna.  I have a mild ticking sound in the Kohler and I'd much rather look into rebuilding it than buying a brand new garden tractor that still doesn't seem to match up to the WH!   Not to mention there's just something about the look of the older tractors.  It's like comparing a muscle car from the 60's to a Honda civic or something.  haha

• Like 5

T-Mo
3 hours ago, W9JAB said:

"Seeing how much it coasts to get a comparable tractor these days"

This got me thinking just what would be a "comparable tractor"

From WHAT i SEE UNLESS YOU GO WITH KUBOTA or Husqvarna.

and only top of the line have frames most have stamped pans.

There are others, plus Husqevarna isn't in the same class as the top brands, like John Deere, Simpliticy, etc., which makes true garden tractors that will last for decades.

• Like 2

roadapples

Nice tractor, but I didn`t realize "98" was old. My truck is a "98" and is the newest vehicle I`ve ever owned. Hope it lasts as long as these old :wh:s....

• Like 2

BigRed84

Not old by any means when compared to most of the other WH's that are still going strong.  In my area where landscaping companies seem to dominate over the do-it-yourselfer I grew up seeing most families with those cheesy little Home Depot mowers, they would all need major work and ultimately get scrapped after as little as 10 years.  So seeing the two WH's that I've seen in my family last double that, in comparison to the 10 year Home Depot mowers, could be "old".  The way they hold up, I'd say 20 years is just broken in!  haha 

• Like 2

jay bee

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:  BigRed84.  Glad to have you here.

Jim

Edited by jay bee