Tgtack

Of these two, which one would you buy for $400?

Tgtack

Like it says, need opinion in next hour! Model 857 with deck, or 1960 Suburban? I know the 857 has totally wrong seat!

00W0W_5SlC5zzdBFZ_1200x900-1.jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 3

Tim

That's not a 1960 suburban hood

it reallly comes down with what are you going to do with it. 

If you are going to do any work I would get the 857. 

If it is to play the small ones are cooler

• Like 2

Tgtack

We have been discussing the hood, it is an oddball. Does not appear to match up with any model unless the opening was filled in for some reason.

I have a 1276 am working on with a newer 42" deck, kinda like the smaller deck on the 857, but also interested in a 1960 model as that was year I was born. Decisions!

Edited by Tgtack

DennisThornton

If you are going to work one then the 857.  

Otherwise buy them both!  Tough choice.  No obvious choice here with so many unanswered questions.

Oh heck!  Buy the Suburban!  I'm no authority but I would suppose it's the better value.

• Like 1

Tgtack

Well, passed on the Suburban, went higher than willing to pay for it! So, still looking.

• Like 1

953 nut
15 minutes ago, Tgtack said:

still looking

Hang in there, you will get one.

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Them short frame, square hoods...

are quickly becoming the new round hoods.

• Like 3

Tgtack
2 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: Them short frame, square hoods...

are quickly becoming the new round hoods.

Yeah, I like that 857, only thing out of place is the seat, but don't really mind that, would look good with one of those red and white padded covers on it.

AMC RULES

The correct seat for that model isn't that hard to find.  :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

WHX??

Don't  let the seat be a deal breaker, that can easily be changed....Rules is right 857 are the new round hoods..... I could be prejudiced tho! :lol:

20170506_164445.jpg

• Like 6

rjg854

Owning 2 Commando 8's, makes me partial to the square hoods. They're good looking tractors. 

Tgtack
10 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

The correct seat for that model isn't that hard to find.  :confusion-shrug:

Yep, actually the owner has an original seat pan, but no cushion, but am not a big fan of the look of the flat seat, but then again, have not set on one either. My 1276 has an aftermarket seat, and it is soooo comfy, I doubt I will change it.

10 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Owning 2 Commando 8's, makes me partial to the square hoods. They're good looking tractors. 

I really like the look of the mid to late 60's tractors the best. Actually I know where there is a really good deal on a clean 69/70 Raider 10 with a Tecumseh engine that has a bad starter. I might wind up picking it up if can get him down a little more.

Owner is asking $300, but I can probably get it for $250. Looks clean except the starter and leaking axle seal.

00808_kfo6koaCrA_1200x900.jpg

00I0I_3vFUnjZPJXH_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 3

Racinbob

I'd say the 857. Especially since it has a mower deck. It looks pretty solid and the seat is an easy fix....if you wanted to. The Suburban looks to be decent too. The mystery hood and the seat is wrong (I'm not talking holes/no holes here) and you'd need the guards but it would be a fun little tractor. :)

• Like 2

slim67

I love my little 857. I'm still trying to solve my S/G problem but for now it's not an issue. I'm going to throw the deck on it and help the wife with the lawn for the fun of it ! Check the Cleveland CL for wheel horse and a suburban was on there for 600 and I think another for 400. Try Akron and Mansfield listings to.

Tgtack

S/G problem? I have been watching CL all over OH, MI, IN, seen some suburbans, but seemed way too high to me, but to each their own. I actually like the mid 60's tractors better myself, so may stick with them. There are about three tractors that I would like to buy right now, but hard to explain why I need so many!

slim67
1 hour ago, Tgtack said:

S/G problem? I have been watching CL all over OH, MI, IN, seen some suburbans, but seemed way too high to me, but to each their own. I actually like the mid 60's tractors better myself, so may stick with them. There are about three tractors that I would like to buy right now, but hard to explain why I need so many!

Sorry about that S/G means starter-generator . Just a terminology thing. If you are going to use it as a daily driver then the 857 is the way to go. I used my RJ to plow our garden but that's the hardest thing it will ever do aside from some snow plowing. And that will be just for fun. I know it sounds crazy to call it fun but it is.

• Like 1

Tgtack

Curious what the problem is.

slim67
2 hours ago, Tgtack said:

Curious what the problem is.

I really don't know. I need to find someone who has a tractor,any tractor with a S/G so I can measure voltages. I could take it in but I am stubborn and like a challenge. I put new field coils in it and it has what looks to be a newer armature. I am still researching it . 

Tgtack

Slim67, these are from another wiring post that is active right now, they show you how to adjust the voltage regulator. This might be what you need if getting low output.

5911dec43aef2_Capture3.JPG.4010374ff84a4bfc94324aec580f0c2b.JPG

5911ded75f76d_Capture4.JPG.7be5fd111b6ee9feee51e47f317830f0.JPG

• Like 1

thehorse

BUY THEM BOTH!

slim67
12 hours ago, Tgtack said:

Slim67, these are from another wiring post that is active right now, they show you how to adjust the voltage regulator. This might be what you need if getting low output.

5911dec43aef2_Capture3.JPG.4010374ff84a4bfc94324aec580f0c2b.JPG

5911ded75f76d_Capture4.JPG.7be5fd111b6ee9feee51e47f317830f0.JPG

11 hours ago, WHX11 said:

The whole adjustment procedure is in this manual Slim in case you don't have it.

Kohler_K91_K141_K161_K181_K241_K301_K321_Serv_Man_0472.pdf

Thanks guys, I will check it out this evening. Im starting to think thats where the problem lies.

• Like 1