Fordiesel69

8 Speed Unidrive - water in oil.

Fordiesel69

Early 90's 416-8 w/ unidrive 8 speed.

Pulled the dipstick and it is rusted pitted, and the fluid is very milky.

I am aware on how to flush with kerosene, refill and replace shift boot, but without taking it apart, would this thing last?  My thought is the bearings are prob already rusted.

stevasaurus

I think you already know what I have to say about that? :think:  Suppose you decide to flush it numerous times and you do have some bad bearings.  Flushing is not going to fix those, and you could easily do more damage and make it more costly if you go that way and drive it.  There is only one good reason to flush a transmission...it makes it a much cleaner job to open up.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5

Genuine1979

Hey Fordiesel69,

Hello. I am working watery fluid real time. How far up on the stick is the pitting? If it is in the normal above the "case line" then try flushing only. Spin the tires slowly in gear from input shaft. If you feel any resistance, I would flush once more and split the trans. Sludge alone is enough to mess up shifting Hi/Lo and R/4 in my case along with worn input gears(not exactly sure of the actual name of the gear, not using a book).  My issue here was wouldn't go into gear, any gear. Used a small file to straighten out gears and about to put it back together once I replace the lil' ball bearing I just lost if I can not find it with the magnet. What I found insde this one is surface rust inside the case at the very top of the case. I purposely placed a piece of gasket in the input gears and everything stopped could not spin anything by hand and I have all gears out except the first input gear and the next one. I can try to put pics on here if that will help...

My apologies on the vagueness but once again, I am currently working on this trans.

thegenuinenewguy

Edited by Genuine1979
New thought.

Cee245

@Fordiesel69,

I have rebuilt a 1991 416-8 Unidrive transmission. I had to replace shift forks and 2nd or 3rd gear. 

I really didn't think it was too hard especially with a manual or a drawing from toro.com as I used. 

Good luck 

Cory 

oliver2-44

O....there aut-ta-be a song ......water in my transmissin

O....water in my oil

O....what a rusty sludgee mess it is

O..... that’s all I got

• Like 1
  • Haha 1