Tgtack

Is this a good buy?

Tgtack

I am looking for an early 60's Wheel Horse, this one popped up about 90 mins from me. What do you think about it. Owner says it was powder coated, has new tires all around, good running 4 hp Kohler. Wants $400. What I see is missing, is the rubber grip on the attachment elevation handle, heat shields and belt cover. Also looks like the "dash" area of the hood was cut down at one point. I have asked for a picture of this area, and if the recoil starter is broke as the rope is hanging out in one picture. O[inions a[appreciated, am also looking at another one closer by me that I will have to decide on by this evening.

wh1.jpg

wh2.jpg

wh3.jpg

wh4.jpg

The other one I am looking at is pictured in this post below.

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 3

Molon_Labe

The tires alone cost over $200 and good running Kohler K91 engines are getting harder and harder to find. It's a 1961 model 551 and appears to be a good project candidate. Just from what I can see, the hood has been cut at the hood stand, the clutch/brake bellcrank is broken, something is amiss with the brake band and linkage and the pull starter probably needs work. Yep, a nice project for sure!

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

The 551 was electric start also, so it looks to have a different engine in it as well. I think the other one looked more complete, but I do like the 2 piece cast iron transmission over the 3 piece, much easier to work on, (but many here have no problem with the 3 piece)

• Like 2

WHX??

I am on the Major's side of the fence, the tires, motor if even halfway decent & lots of other parts might make it worth that.

• Like 2

Tgtack

Talked to the owner, the recoil starter is fixed, although there were two bolt tabs with broken bolts, the clutch/brake bell crank was fixed also. Don't know about the brake band. The big thing is the cut down hood, and sort of looks rough around the gas fill in the other pics.

wh5.jpg

wh6.jpg

• Like 2

Tgtack

Any thoughts on this cut hood? How much for a good hood?

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:      I think I would go for the other none. In spite of the value of the new tires on the first none the nice looking original tires on the second one are good looking and have a bit of charm to them. Finding a good hood for a Suburban and having it powder coated (hope the color matches) would be over $ 150 and probably closer to $ 300. If you wanted to make the 551 "correct" and find the correct engine you would be out a few hundred more. Don't know what the price on the second one is, but if they are about the same and they both run and drive well that is where my money would go. But, it is your money and your decision. 

coolhandblack

In true Redsquare fashion, I say get both!

• Like 1

Tgtack

Yeah the hood being cut really kills it, I may throw a bid on the other one, but I can also get a nice 857 with a clean mower deck for $400, although it does have the wrong seat!

00W0W_5SlC5zzdBFZ_1200x900-1.jpg

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 2