DBarker80

310-8 blowing fuse

DBarker80

Hi all, new to the wheel horse world. My grandfather gave me his. Not sure of the year. I have had the tractor for 2 weeks. All of sudden today is started blowing the 15 amp fuse every time i turn the key. I replaced it twice, Second time it fired. After I cut the grass and turned it off, when I tried to refire it started blowing fuses again. Any ideas?

pfrederi

310-8s were made for several years with different engines and electrical systems.  Do you know the model # of the tractor (sticker under the seat)

What is the model # and Spec number of your engine. (sticker on the engine itself)

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Sounds like you have a short to ground .  Possibly a pinched or bare wire from the ignition or starter  side of the ignition switch.

• Like 2

DBarker80

Kohler 10 m10s from the engine... plate under the seat isn't ledgable. 

SylvanLakeWH
18 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Sounds like you have a short to ground .  Possibly a pinched or bare wire from the ignition or starter  side of the ignition switch.

:text-yeahthat: Check all your grounds...

DBarker80

I took the plate off that holds the ignition and the is a ground disconnected but I can tell where it goes.... anyone have a wiring diagram?

1494192214514347197641.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi

• Like 2

gwest_ca

See the red wire wrapped around the steering shaft? It appears to have left rub marks on the shaft. Pull the wire back and look for a flat spot worn in the insulation. It will get thin enough to expose a strip of wire and that is all it takes.

Garry

• Like 1

DBarker80

Thanks everyone I gave up on it go tonight. I will check the red wire I also couldn't figure out where that unhooked ground went

Ed Kennell

There should be a ground terminal on the ignition switch.

Dakota8338

In the old days, a short normally burned out a fuse, and a loose connection would typically damage a component of the system.  With the newer wiring systems and the incorporation of all the safety switches which has greatly increased the difficulty in locating  electrical problems, I am not absolutely certain the old saying still holds true, but I still use it as a guide when I am looking for an electrical problem.  

I have no connection with the company in any fashion, other than occasionally purchasing some of their products, but many years ago, I purchased a K-D # 2524 Short Circuit Detector, which is a very simple and small unit, but it sure made a believer out of me with it locating a problem I had been searching for weeks trying to locate by the seek & find method, by determining the source of my problem in about 15 minutes.  It seems like the thing was in the 10-15 dollar range, which if still available probable will place it in the 35-50 dollar price range today considering inflation, which our wonderful government tells us does not exist.  Other companies may produce similar products, K-D just happened to be what the store had where I was shopping.  But investment in the K-D unit or a similar one, could be a very worthwhile investment for anyone trouble shooting electrical issue where a short is suspect.