Rob.A.700

1056 rewire

Rob.A.700

I am rewireing my 1056 and I have a few questions. Will it be alright to leave the tab on the regulator for the cigar lighter unused? Witch would be better volt meter or ammeter? Thanks 

Aldon

I did not wire cigarette lighter on most of my GT14's.

Volt Meter is in my opinion much better choice.

• Like 1

Tgtack

Ammeter will show you the charging/discharging rate of your generator or alternator. To me, that is more important than knowing the overall system voltage. If you have the generator warning light, that tells you what it is doing, although not the rate.

Aldon

I should clarify my choice above.

ammeters of the era of the tractors have been the source of many electrical troubles as seen in the plethora of electrical threads.

in addition they almost always seem to be bouncy and not all that valuable but as has been mentioned, likely a bit more valuable that a volt meter. Although if current generatation is not present the voltage would be indicative as well with less than routine level.

If your using modern gage, then I would say use whichever type you want that best fits your needs. 

If your going with period correct I'd go with voltage. 

If it was me, I might choose hour meter to set up routine maintenance. I have a multimeter should I ever find need to investigate issue.

• Like 1

6bg6ga

Both the volt meter and ammeter have their place. The ammeter will tell you the capability to charge vers the current draw. The volt meter will tell you the battery voltage but will not tell you IF the system is necessarily working 100%. It is possible to output for example 14.6 volts and still not charge up to the capacity of the system. Rare but it still can happen.

pfrederi

I like volt meters and ammeters together...but if I only have one then volt meters.  Besides as Aldon pointed out Ammeter failure can affect the whole system.

• Like 1