Sign in to follow this  
ole496

Onan 20 HP

ole496

I'm at a crossroads...I need some pics of the throttle and carb linkage for a 520-H with the 20 HP Onan. I think there is a spring in there that should not be in there. The throttle will not stay open on its own as the spring pulls it closed. I tried disconnecting everything but it needs the spring to operate? Anyone have any ideas? Check out that long rusty spring that starts at the throttle and ends up connecting to the front engine shroud. All this does is pull the throttle closed. After disconnecting it, the throttle still closes on its own and I'm at a mechanical loss on this one. there is no way to tighten the throttle on this as far as I can see?? Maybe if I sleep on it, the obvious conclusion will dawn on me. What do you think? This engine is not original to the tractor and I don't know what set up this engine came from, it's the OL20 model. The guy I bought this from put this on. E-mail pics or comment on this thread if you know what I'm missing. ole496@yahoo.com Thanks, Mike

WheelHorse2009006.jpg

WheelHorse2009007.jpg

TT

See if this helps you at all:

onangov.jpg

Something on yours does look fishy and that extra spring certainly does not belong.

Have you been able to tell if the governor is working correctly?

TT

By the way - if you bought this one, good luck! :thumbs:

WH312-2.jpg

ole496

Ha ha, yes, that's the one I bought...it was purchased sight unseen and I'm paying for it now. It needs a few other minor things but I'm almost done fixing the stuff that needs fixing. I don't like it when someone rigs up something to work but never actually fixes the problem...it always becomes someone elses problem! Thanks for the diagram of the governor linkage. The governor does tend to hunt around a bit. Maybe I'll take of the spring and run it for awhile and see how it reacts under load. I was hoping to get a pic or two of someone with a 520 so I could see the differences in the setup. Thanks everyone! Mike

TT

How 'bout these? :thumbs:

onan008.jpg

onan007.jpg

onan009.jpg

ole496

Excellent pics, thank you very much for the help. The springs gotta go for sure! Mike