HoosierDude

Broken Tensioner Pivot Arm for 5-1422 42" Deck

HoosierDude

Probably a long shot, but.... I'm looking for a replacement "ASS'Y PIVOT ARM" for a Wheel Horse Rotary Mower Model 5-1422. It's item # 77 on the drawings, part # 6725. Anyone have any idea where I can find one? Or should I go ahead and try to find a fabrication shop that will take it on? See pics. Thanks in advance!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

IMG_20170505_135332219.jpg

IMG_20170505_135439110.jpg

IMG_20170505_135503911.jpg

IMG_20170505_135548348.jpg

Ed Kennell

They are cast iron, but they can be welded.   I have welded several arms using a good arm as a jig to keep the pieces in alignment during welding.  I also have several good used arms.   There should be plenty of these available in your area.  Good Luck and :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:.

daveoman1966

This side-ways-mounted  belt adjustment system is not a very good design and is fraught with calamity...like you just experienced.  It is quite an easy one-hour operation to change over to the FRONT mounted MULE DRIVE whereby the belt is routed around the front axle and adjusted by a KNOB to set the belt tension.  Here are a few pics of the 'upgrade' I am suggestiong.  I ahve all the parts to do this...  

rapp 001.JPG

MULE-32.JPG

RAIDER 10 (1).jpg

MULE-45.jpg

raid 12.jpg

MULE-10A.jpg

MULE-18.jpg

ADAPT (14).JPG

• Like 1

ztnoo

I busted a 6725 about two weeks ago while working on another problem with my deck which was caused by mindless carelessness and inattention on my part.

I busted the small end.

I immediately posted here to RS and to three WH Facebook sites ISO the part.

To my amazement, within an hour a guy whom I never met, living within my country, replied and said he had one and was willing to sell for only $25!

I had it in my hands by 9:30 am the next morning. It turned out to be NOS. Unbelievable......

All I had to do was pop out the drive in grease zerks from my old part, and plastic mallet them into the holes in the new 6725.

I doesn't get any better that that!

I was very, very lucky!!!

AMEN..

IMG_1009.JPG.b450f906d216adc6dda8b1e31e7b3996.JPG

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1

HoosierDude
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

They are cast iron, but they can be welded.

Thanks for the tip! I don't know why I assumed the cast part couldn't be welded. I thought a custom fabrication bill might be in my future. Are you willing to sell me one of your spares? Thanks for the welcome to the site.

2 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

Here are a few pics of the 'upgrade' I am suggestiong.  I ahve all the parts to do this... 

Are you willing to sell your Mule Drive kit? I'm assuming I'll need a longer deck drive belt to accompany the mod? This tractor has been in my family since it was nearly new, and as much as I'd like to keep it "correct," one of my predecessors converted it to manual PTO at some point so... :) This tractor was used to mow several acres for decades. Now it's going to get a fraction of the run time it used to get as I'm using it on a tiny subdivision lot. But anything to make it more reliable is a definite plus.

1 hour ago, ztnoo said:

I busted a 6725 about two weeks ago while working on another problem with my deck which was caused by mindless carelessness and inattention on my part.

To my amazement, within an hour a guy whom I never met, living within my country, replied and said he had one and was willing to sell for only $25!

All I had to do was pop out the drive in grease zerks from my old part, and plastic mallet them into the holes in the new 6725.

Mine got busted about two weeks ago as well, but it wasn't by me. The Mrs. was trying to help out by mowing for me while I was at work (also I think she just wanted to joy ride on the ol' Horse but wouldn't admit it :rolleyes:). She ended up having a problem, that turned into a bigger problem, that resulted in the broken part. I was admittedly pretty upset with her, mainly because she has absolutely no "mechanical sympathy" and has a history of being hard on my old stuff. But also because I figured the part was "unobtanium."

I see you're in Gas City. My family used to use the Gas City exit off 69 as a half way meeting spot between Fort Wayne and Indy. I'm sure your neck of the woods is just crawling with old Horses. I'm originally from Fort Wayne and that's where my tractor came from. Would you mind sharing the names of the Facebook groups and any contacts you have up your way for parts?

My part doesn't have any grease zerks, only two small holes (one on each pivot point). I wonder if I have an older variant? The holes look way too small to accommodate a grease zerk, but I've never actually removed/installed one.

Edited by HoosierDude
Forgot to ask Ed if he'd sell one of his spares, fixed an emoji

ztnoo

My zerks are "drive in" zerks, not threaded like a typical zerk. I'm sure they are still available at auto part shops or online

The "drive in" zerks have a smaller diameter body, thus they can be lightly driven into the holes that are already machined in the part.

Actually there's a lot more parts and WH odds and ends in the northern third of the state than there are right around Grant Co., but there are lots of Hoosiers on this site and they are scattered all over.

Here are the Facebook WH groups:

Wheel Horse Junkies:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/263966625951/

Wheel Horse Garden Tractors and Parts:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/WHGTP/

wheel horse tractors show and sell !https://www.facebook.com/groups/www.wheelhorsetractors/

Wheel Horse Family Of Grown-Ups And Kidshttps://www.facebook.com/groups/511252872371112/

Don't know if you have any info about it, but there's a big swap meet at Mentone, IN on June 2 & 3.

Should be lots of parts and accessories there, as well as tractors. Might want to check it out.

Other meets and show can be found here:  http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/5-general-shows-and-events/

Regards,

Steve

ohiofarmer

If you want one for $40.00 Put your part number in here, as I did.for you.  i called in an order on the phone for a cast pulley I needed, and he had it at a great price and 6.00 shipping. He even corrected my mistake in giving him the wrong part number

happy camper, I am  Here is your part. I actually prefer this tensioner over  the mule drive. [I have both] It takes a shorter belt and the belts seem to last longer

http://a-ztractor.com/product/6725-01-u/

Edited by ohiofarmer

ztnoo

I would say "GO FOR IT"!

I've purchase from Lincoln before and he's an excellent communicator (at least from my experience), and very quick to ship.

I'm pretty sure what I paid locally was undervalued, so I think you are pretty fortunate to locate a part source that old, this quickly.

Make the call or place an online order. I would call if I were you.

He might be able to get it out the door yet today, Saturday via USPS.

3tens.gif.a919a5030d48cf0ff4f2974fd57680a3.gif

590dd4352220a_highfive.gif.2e98b180cd85e2231197340738c30436.gif

occasion14.gif.0f4bdc2014c7d711aea2061b8468d4e1.gif

wavetowel2.gif.c3930bdc78d485e01ec9a172e8fe0774.gif

thumbup.gif.b7ffb3bbebd90df92011ed6207b06028.gif

HoosierDude

Thanks for all of the info, gang. I just placed my order for a replacement 6725 and a belt with Lincoln at A-Z Tractor! Thanks @ohiofarmer for the lead on A-Z Tractor, glad I found a source with online presence and inventory for this old tractor.

moe1965

I had a friend make me one out of steel at his machine shop he made a few more he sells them for 80 bucks. That would include the shipping if your interested