lercher

no spark

lercher

Hello . new to this but bare with me . we got a radier 10 6speed believe it's a 10hp.  It ran great when we picked it up but the ignition switch was going . we put two tsc ones on n the both burnd out . so I got the right switch and it cranks just fine but now no spark could I have messed something up with the other two switches .got juice to the voltage regulator . but when it cranks it goes out . could the regulator be bad . thanks

Ed Kennell

This may help.

• Like 1

pfrederi

It is possible your switch fried the magneto or if you have a breakerless system fried it.  What is teh spec number for your engine? 

Edit;

Depending on the year you may have a Kohler or a Techumseh   Need more info.  Model # of tractor ans Spec Number of engine if Kohler.  if it was a Techumseh and you used a battery ignition switch there is a good chance it killed it. sorry

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

lercher

Okay I'll find out tonight when I'm home

pfrederi

Good news if it is an original Kohler it should be a battery ignition system.  That would not be harmed by the wrong switch.

lercher

I'm like 95 % sure it is but I'll find out for sure

953 nut

:WRS:      We will get it up and running, just need a bit more info.

lercher

Model # mm100-115145b

Serial 9162. 08048

Can't tell if it's mm or nn but that's what I got off engine cover . fly wheel side

oldredrider

Probably "HH". Techumseh 10hp.

lercher

So good chance the i messed the magneto up and that's not fixable ?

oldredrider

If the mag is fried, it's expensive to replace... $200.

lercher

Okay want else could be the problem I got one wire that goes to the regulator n two that come out to the engine . I'm not getting juice from that when cranking

953 nut

Take a look at this manual. I don't own any Tecumseh engines, but know that some had points and condenser under the flywheel. If you have points it can be converted to a "Battery Ignition" system using a coil with an internal ballast resistor. Take a look at the manual and compare it to your engine so we can narrow down the possibilities.

lercher

Okay I will when I get a chance . it has a spark plug wire and ignition control all in one piece. The ignition mounts right above the fly wheel. On the cover it says soild state ignition system if that helps

pfrederi

The wires from the engine to the regulator are not involved in the ignition system.  They are  for charging the battery. The regulator itself has nothing to do with spark.

Do you have a $4 spark plug tester as from harbor freight??  if not pull the plug lay it on the block and crank the engine...any sign of spark?? 

If not i am afraid you used a battery ignition switch (did it have an "I" terminal on it??  or an "M" terminal)  if you did the Solid State ignition is most likely toasted. Searching on line there are some ways to replace the ignition system...for a price.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Should be an early 1970 tractor model 1-6051.

Garry

wildman

TSC switch won't work in your horse

lercher

Okay guys so the problem is the magneto thing behind the fly wheel . So my question now is . Is there any Kohler I can easily replace with

pfrederi

Just about any K series 8-16HP.  But make sure it is a Spec number used for Wheel Horses as You need a fairly long Crankshaft on the PTO side of the motor.  If not a WH spec measure your current crankshaft and make sure the replacement engine crank is at least as long.

Used replacements for your SS Mag are available, also if you search there are plans for replacing it with a battery coil system.

Where in PA are you?  If you decide to replace it I might be interested in buying it.

• Like 1

lercher

Okay I would like to fix what's there but I'm not have much luck finding parts . And I'm still kicking the idea around in my head about going battery coil system . But around Lebanon county 

pfrederi
2 hours ago, lercher said:

Okay I would like to fix what's there but I'm not have much luck finding parts . And I'm still kicking the idea around in my head about going battery coil system . But around Lebanon county 

Here is an alternative

http://overnight-solutions.com/index_files/Page682.htm

6bg6ga

There is another way to skin a cat if your game. You can easily use a trigger (Hall Effect Switch) to run your ignition.  There are even inexpensive kits out there or one can make up something to work. Ignition on any of these tiny engines is very primitive.

I put together a rough idea on how one can make their own electronic ignition  in my B43E engine post.  If you want help or would like to develop a DIY ignition system why not start another thread and maybe we can have some kind of sticky if you guys have that sort of thing on this forum.

• Like 1

lercher

If i.knew where to start I would be game. But I think I'm gonna look into that over night solution

953 nut
10 hours ago, pfrederi said:

That is a great product, and it will probably work with the TS switch that he already bought.

6bg6ga
37 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

That is a great product, and it will probably work with the TS switch that he already bought.

I'm sure its a great product. I would have thought some of the brains on this forum would have come up with something as good for a fraction of the price.