Kyle Rogness

Raider 12 overheating

Kyle Rogness

Hello Wheel Horse people, I have a raidar 10 with a 12 horsepower Kohler engine in it and it will run fine for 10-15 minutes then we'll overheat and drives sluggish with not much power any ideas as to what I should look for or possible causes?  

Thanks in advance

scotty

Have you checked the air filter? That would be the first thing i would check if you havent replaced it.

elcamino/wheelhorse

Make sure there no trash or dirt under tins. That will cause it to overheat.

• Like 2

WHX??

First off :WRS: Kyle...always use another Wisconsinite here!

Clean & check the carb & clean, check & set the points if it's a earlier k series. Running too lean may cause it to overheat but unlikely... Jimbo4 :text-yeahthat: has got you covered on the fins. Sounds like you have a Raider 10 that has been given a enginectomy if you got a 12 hp in it.

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:   The first thing you want to do is to be sure the cooling air flow is not being blocked, Pull the tins off and check for mouse/insect nests or built up grass/leaves that could obstruct air flow. Be sure all of the tins are in place too.

• Like 4

Kyle Rogness

Thanks for the ideas! @WHX11  we are not too far apart I am just north of Poynette.  The mower is pretty clean (or good enough right now) filter is fine.  What should the points gap be set at and how much oil goes into these motors?  Yeah its a 10 and then the guy we got it from put a 12 in it.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, WHX11 said:

First off :WRS: Kyle...always use another Wisconsinite here!

Clean & check the carb & clean, check & set the points if it's a earlier k series. Running too lean may cause it to overheat but unlikely... Jimbo4 :text-yeahthat: has got you covered on the fins. Sounds like you have a Raider 10 that has been given a enginectomy if you got a 12 hp in it.

Achto

:WRS:  From just a little further North.

WHX??

Yes Poynette not too far at all. Might want to check out the tractor show in Portage ...always a good turnout for us horse heads. 

Points gap is .020, and i believe oil is a quart and some change ...QT & 1/4 to 1/2. If you have the older threaded style dipstick do not thread in to check. Might want to download the Kohler service manuals available in files section as well as the manuals for the tractor if you don't already have them. . Lots of good pointers in them.

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

is it a hydro per chance?

953 nut

According to the Kohler manual your engine will need two Quarts of oil.

Kohler K-Series SM TP-2379 LR.pdf

• Like 1

pfrederi

Are any fins broken off the flywheel???

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:I stand corrected after reading my book Kyle...I have yet to change the oil in my 301...:hide:

• Like 1

Kyle Rogness

8Fellas thanks for the thoughts,  I changed the oil new battery, new inline fuel filter and ran it for a while and it did the same thing where it overheated, checked the plug and it was grey, so it must be lean...adjust the carb?

Edited by Kyle Rogness
Spelling

incabman

Don't forget that these Kohler engines need to be de-carboned every 500 hours. A piece of carbon can stay glowing red in the head and cause pre-ignition causing overheating. Not saying that is your case but is a possibility.

richmondred01

Like 953 nut said pull the tins and clean fins and any potential mouse nest. Blow the fins out with compressed air.

Additionally, your engine may be running to lean with the carburetor not adjusted properly or it's sucking in air some where other than the carburetor. 

Check the gasket between the carburetor and the block, check that the bolts are tight and adjust the carburetor.

Easy first few steps to take. 

Edited by richmondred01
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dirtdog524

It could have a valve sticking on it causing this issue as the engine gets to full operating temperature. I would run Marvel Mystery oil mixed in the gas and it should help with that.