Buzz

520-H questions

Buzz

As I posted earlier, I got a great deal on 1992 520-H and it is a little bit more complicated than my 854, 856, and 68 Lawn Ranger. The first thing I'm going to need is a manual or two for it. It's a model # 41-200E03 but according to Toro that model doesn't exist for their manuals but it does exist for their parts breakdown???? I've checked the manuals here on Red Square but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions? 

Now for the first problem. It ran decent when I got it but needs a general tune up, you know new plugs, air breather, fuel lines and filter, etc. Today when I tried to start it, nothing. I was sitting on the seat and had the parking brake on. Turned the key on and all of the idiot lights flashed on. The battery (new) showed around 12.5 volts but when I tried to start it the voltage dropped to 0 and nothing. No clicks grunts or groans. What should I look at first?

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 3

nylyon

For the starting, wiggle the motion control lever, sometimes it's not exactly positioned.

• Like 4

Buzz

Thank you Gary and Carl. I'll read the manual tonight and play with it again tomorrow.

MalMac

Very good chance it's a bad Seat Safety switch, but being a 520 could be a whole host of simple things. A bad seat switch will keep it from doing anything.

• Like 2

bo dawg

My $100 520 I just recently got did something similar. Although when it ran it was ok but idled rough and was hard to keep running when moving. Then I noticed seat switch dash light would come on forward or reverse and found that the switch was barely making contact. Once I fixed that it ran better both idle and rolling. Then I had charging issue running less than 10 volts on the dash gauge. I checked the wiring and corrected some connections but it was replacing the regulator to get back to proper charging.

I would for sure check and clean switch connections and make sure they are making connected when in gauged.

• Like 3

953 nut
9 hours ago, Buzz said:

What should I look at first?

Was the PTO on? Is the oil level low? Take a small jumper wire from the battery "+" to the small terminal on the solenoid that is tied to the ignition switch; this bypasses the safety switches and if it cranks will tell you the starter and solenoid are not the problem.

• Like 3

ericj

I'll help you solve the problem Buzz just bring it to the show and i'll take it off your hands.:ROTF: seriously just check the the safety switches, sometimes it only takes a bump to get it to start. the cheater way to start is to check for voltage to the coil, if present pull the blue wire off the starter and jump to from that terminal on the starter to the battery cable on the starter and she should crank over. did the flashing light stop after a few seconds and then were any left lit. the one that stays on is the problem switch except for the oil light it will stay flashing till it sees oil pressure. good luck and hope to see you at the show this year

eric j

12 hours ago, Buzz said:

As I posted earlier, I got a great deal on 1992 520-H and it is a little bit more complicated than my 854, 856, and 68 Lawn Ranger. The first thing I'm going to need is a manual or two for it. It's a model # 41-200E03 but according to Toro that model doesn't exist for their manuals but it does exist for their parts breakdown???? I've checked the manuals here on Red Square but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions? 

Now for the first problem. It ran decent when I got it but needs a general tune up, you know new plugs, air breather, fuel lines and filter, etc. Today when I tried to start it, nothing. I was sitting on the seat and had the parking brake on. Turned the key on and all of the idiot lights flashed on. The battery (new) showed around 12.5 volts but when I tried to start it the voltage dropped to 0 and nothing. No clicks grunts or groans. What should I look at first?

• Like 2

Buzz

Wiggling the shifter did the trick Thanks for the help. Where do you guys buy your air and oil filters, we don't have a local Toro dealer anymore.

nylyon

The engine is used on many brands, so if you have a good dealer they can likely help.  If not, I know that the oil filter will cross reference to an automotive filter (I think I am running a Fram now), or of course there's on-line.  For plugs, I found that what my 416 came with and what the manual recommends were different.  Using want the manual recommended I ended up throwing them out after a short amount of time and going back to what was in there when new.

WHX??

Same place we buy our beer & summer sauage Buzz.... nawwwww just kidding:ychain: I get my filters from NAPA/WIX 1410 for the hydro filter. 1269 for the oil filter. Fram CA140PL or WIX 46094 are the air filter numbers I have but I think I got my last air filter off :techie-ebay:do a search there using 140-2628/140-1228/140-2522 part nos.

oh by the way champion RS14-YC for the plugs

Edited by WHX11
Typo
  • Like 1

nylyon

Those are the plugs which didn't work well in my Onan 16.  From the factory it came with RS17YX and runs better with those, not sure if the same is true for the 20 or not?

WHX??

If I am not mistaken they should be the same as the sweet 16. I also run the the 17's Karl which I was told was a  suitable substitute for the 14's. There is a difference in the size of the center electrode tho. The 17 is thinner. I'm certain my 20 hp came with the 14's and runs fine with either. Also certain the books calls out a 14 for any of the Onans. I don't have a pic of the 17 as they're in the 520 now. Got me curious as to what's in the 416 now will have to check. OEM P/N is 167-0272 Also noteworthy as some manuals  call out a RS14YC while some call out an RH14YC...typo?? 

Lots of posts on the correct plug so will have to do some research. My bad on the previous post should be a RS14 not an RC...thats what I get for relying on memory.

Two things tho fellas...please don't ask me why I have an empty spark plug box on the shelf and please don't tell my wife I am taking pics of plugs on her kitchen table! :lol:

20170503_211829.jpg

• Like 3