signman501

Onan rebuild

signman501

Onan motor needs rebuilt. I want to keep an Onan in my 520-H. I am in the Martinsburg WV area so I don't want to travel to far.

Duramax7man7

Do you not have the time for this? What exactly is the issue? Knocking? Low compression, something else? 

signman501

Has a knocking noise in the front of the engine. Seems to be around a valve. Haven't had a chance to check for leak down or cyl pressure. I am short on tools these days and I really don't have a place to do much of that kind of work. It uses quite a bit of oil and I'm pretty sure it needs a look at internally. I'm gonna look at it tonite an see if I can find the problem. I am really looking to find somebody who can rebuilt the engine.

• Like 1

WHX??

How close might you be to @WVHillbilly520H maybe he knows a good small engine mech in your area?

WVHillbilly520H

Yep, have a guy in Harrisonburg VA that does excellent work with Onans, just gonna be right at $2500 (parts and labor) as I have asked him before ,Jeff.

• Like 1

WHX??

Glad you had the cahonies to let him know about the price Jeff cause I didn't.

BTW :WRS:  Sign Man

• Like 1

signman501

How do I get with the guy in Harrisonburg. I will get with him and go from there. I'm not surprised at the price either from what I can tell. I may look around and see is I can find another engine or a used tractor.

I plan on going to the Big Show next month. Hope to do a little shopping while there.

Edited by signman501
  • Like 1

Duramax7man7

There's a 2003 Linamar 24hp Onan for about $900 seller- easterntriangleenterprises

And 16hp Onan on the Bay site with 120psi on both cylinders complete for $800 obo located in Indiana and FREE Shipping. Seller is outdoorpartsplus

signman501

Found an engine but its in Minnesota. Only for local pickup and I am not ready for a trip up there right now.

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, signman501 said:

How do I get with the guy in Harrisonburg. I will get with him and go from there. I'm not surprised at the price either from what I can tell. I may look around and see is I can find another engine or a used tractor.

Here's the phone #, ask to speak to John Vandevader, head "wrench" ,they sell/sold Steiner and he worked at a Toro dealer too, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170504-144832.png

• Like 1

signman501

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

signman501

I'm going to wait till after the Big Show. Give me a chance to see what's put there as I got my 145 going. Been sitting for 3 or 4 years. Knocked off the spider webs and the squirrel nests and it runs great. I am wanting for the show as I have never heard of it. Sounds like its gonna be something.

• Like 2

WHX??

If you don't like horses Sign Dude you might as well stay home ....if you do you will love it!

• Like 1

Cable

I have an Onan P220G-I/10956C from a 1990 520H now for sale.  It is running and presently still on it's tractor.  Working hour meter shows 455 +/-. The tractor has other parts that will be used with the rest of my 520H herd.  Location is Churchville, Maryland.

Had an inquiry to my Craigs List ad from a man who wanted to use the engine on a Steiner to replace an Onan B48GGA020.  Neither of us know how compatible the two engines are.  Would appreciate comments from anyone who has made such a change.

John Sullivan

Hi Cable,

Is this still

for sale? If so will you ship? Price?

Thank you

John

Edited by John Sullivan

WHX??

Since this is an old post John you might be better PM'ing @Cable

John Sullivan

whx12

Thank you

signman501

Got the inquiry. Got another engine, just haven't had the time to change them out. If you are interested in the old engine it can be yours but not sure when I will get it out.

John Sullivan

Thank you. I am in no hurry. Please notify me when it is good for you.

Regards

John