welderman85

k301 points help

welderman85

hi all I just picked up a new to me project horse. it hasa 14hp kohler on it. I was told it ran goo but ha carb issues. I put a new carb on it but while I was at work my fatherinlaw thought he would help. He pulled the points off wich isn't a big deal I was going to replace them anyway but I have no clue on how to set the new ones up and set the motor timing. please help. thank you 

• Like 1

953 nut

Install the points and turn the engine over bu hand. Observe the points and the plunger that opens them, when the plunger reaches the furthest open position you will be able to set them at .020 to.018". This static timing will set them for proper timing.

Kohler static_timing.pdf

590935ed075f5_Kohlerstatictiming.JPG.d178ca270310c6d48006c0ce4f39ee03.JPG

• Like 4

rick

Very good explanation, 953 nut! I have been preaching this for a long time, I cringe when some one posts-"Just set 'em at .020 and you will be good." I learned this when I set the points at .020 on the K161 on my Troy- Bilt Horse tiller. It wouldn't run well at all.

The pdf you referenced is good material for .020 crowd to read, and the method is explained in the Kohler manual.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

It does seem that the older horses really like the .018 setting.  :occasion-xmas:  You just have to try the different settings and see what works best.  If it starts when you just touch the key, you have it and the timing right on.  :)

• Like 1