rdeanrj58

6 speed transmission

rdeanrj58

Is the transmission in a 312-8 basically the same as an 867 ?   It's been a while since I was inside the 867 but now the differential is not working.   The axles are shiny where they come out of case . Can't remember what holds them in 

stevasaurus

Yes, except for the hi/low range selection stuff in the 312-8.  What holds in your axles is the axle gear has a "C" clip behind it to keep the axle from pulling out.  We have a lot of threads with videos about "how to" in the reference section on the main page.  When you open it, be sure to pull off the brake shaft side...not the input shaft side.  You can then just lift out the differential with out taking the rest of the trans apart.  If by saying your differential is not working means your axles will not turn in opposite directions, you would have teeth missing from the axle gear/s and or pinion/s or both.  BTW, you have an 8 speed transmission...if it is original...(#110995) 8 pinion differential with 1 1/8" axles.  The 6 speeds are all 10 pinion limited slip differentials.  :)

rdeanrj58

Thanks for the info . I guess I should have explained better.  I have an 867 with a differential problem and a 312-8 that I thought I could use parts or whole trans.   Would the c- clips coming out cause diff to lock up ? 

• Like 1

pfrederi

I am not familiar with an 867. 

What do you mean not working completely locked up or tractor rolls but won't move under power??

Can you pull the axle out?

Looking at parts picture of your 867 it appears you have the one piece pinion gear.  That would require replacement to use the differential from the 312.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

rdeanrj58

The tractor moves but wants to push when you try to steer it .   Haven't tried to pull axle yet 

stevasaurus

Now I understand...thanks.  You have the 10 pinion limited slip differential in the 867.  It would be better if you told us exactly what the differential is or is not doing before we guess.  You will not be able to use any parts from your 812-8 trans...except that you just may be able to change out the complete differentials...ie...take out the whole 312-8 differential and replace the one in your #5060 trans.  You have the #5060 differential in the 867...the axles are different lengths, where as the 8 pinion differential has axles of equal length.  @pfrederi just did this in reverse in a thread right below your thread, here in the transmission section.

The whole transmission from your 312-8 will bolt on to your 867, but you will have a few modifications...linkage, tin plates.  :)  Here is the link to Paul's thread.

Here is a link to a thread that rebuilds your #5060 transmission...Once you open it and we find out what is wrong...parts may be available from @racinfool40 (Mike).

rdeanrj58

Ok thanks

pfrederi

If you have a 1 piece pinion gear (as i think you do) you will not be able to do the direct differential swap. 

The first pic shows the 8 pinion differential note how close it rides to the pinion gear.  The second picture is a 10 pinion diff see it rides way out near the end of the pinion gear shaft.  problem  is your pinion gear is not machines all the way down.  i think the 8 diff pinion would run up against end of your machined splines on the pinion gear.

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Right Paul...there is a Service Bulletin in the "Manual" section that discusses this and what to do.  :)

It looks like you do have the 2 piece mushroom gear in your 312-8 transmission.

rdeanrj58

Thanks guys.   You're a wealth of information