Tgtack

Pics of my new 1276

Achto
5 minutes ago, Tgtack said:

Here are some pics of the 1276 I picked up this weekend. Seems to run good, starts right up, blows just a little smoke right when it starts. Has a few minor issues, but overall seems pretty solid. Paid $400 for it and the deck

Definitely looks like a nice 1276. :handgestures-thumbupright: Not sure why it has the C-120 decals, but they're only stickers. Good price too.

Tgtack
Just now, Achto said:

Definitely looks like a nice 1276. :handgestures-thumbupright: Not sure why it has the C-120 decals, but they're only stickers. Good price too.

Yeah I was shocked when I checked the tag, owner thought it was an early 70's model.

• Like 1

WHX??

Nice tractor but what's with the c-120 on it? Looks like a 1276 tho and to have been gone thru with the muley and all so we get it. Glad to see you got it. :handgestures-thumbupright: Don't worry if it smokes a little bit but be worried if it dosn't! :lol: I'm thinkin yer 1076 needs a big brother Dan!:ychain: 

• Like 2

Achto
1 minute ago, WHX11 said:

I'm thinkin yer 1076 needs a big brother Dan!:ychain: 

May be some day. If the timing & $ is right.;)

• Like 1

Racinbob

Odd about the C-120 decals. The mid mount hitch is pre C-series as it the hood, starter/generator, foot rests............You do have a front tach-a-matic which is a plus. I agree, it looks like a fine example of a 1276. Check your axle seals. :)

Tankman

Looks very nice! The price was right too. :handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:   Great buy, nice condition with a rear discharge deck and if the transaxle is the correct one you have a limited slip rear end too.  :text-bravo:

Tgtack
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Odd about the C-120 decals. The mid mount hitch is pre C-series as it the hood, starter/generator, foot rests............You do have a front tach-a-matic which is a plus. I agree, it looks like a fine example of a 1276. Check your axle seals. :)

Yep, wrong decals for a 1276, PO added the tach-a-match to use later deck style, but causes issues with lift rod, am working on that. This fall when I go through it and refinish it, will get the correct 1276 decal set for it.

• Like 1

ericj

wheel horse made a lift rod just for using the new style deck on older tractors, it is long with a curve in it and fairly thick. 3/8 or maybe 1/2 and probably 8 to 12" long

eric j

Tgtack
8 hours ago, ericj said:

wheel horse made a lift rod just for using the new style deck on older tractors, it is long with a curve in it and fairly thick. 3/8 or maybe 1/2 and probably 8 to 12" long

eric j

Ericj, I assume you are talking about the long rod in the picture. I was also told that there was a lift assembly in the other picture for same function. Both options presented to me, just need to figure out which one should go with?

image027.jpg

image024.jpg

Edited by Tgtack

ericj
On 5/2/2017 at 8:57 AM, Tgtack said:

Ericj, I assume you are talking about the long rod in the picture. I was also told that there was a lift assembly in the other picture for same function. Both options presented to me, just need to figure out which one should go with?

image027.jpg

image024.jpg

the long rod in the first picture or the one on the bottom of the first picture to clear. the bottom picture does the same thing on newer tractors but I don't think there is a hole in the frame for it to go through like it would on the newer C series and up tractors.I tried to put one on an older tractor once and that's what I came up with you may have better luck then I did though. 

eric j 

• Like 2

Sarge

Nice 1276 - Terry Dennis on here has the correct woodgrain decals for it , along with the rest of the correct vinyl . Very elegant model , my favorite is the 1276/77 series more than any of them . That model , btw , uses the open bevel differential - like an automobile axle and isn't a limited slip but will hold traction quite well . Check the rear mounting plate on the frame for the transmission - those have a habit of cracking when pushed hard .

Sarge

• Like 1

Tgtack

I have already found the bugger welds from PO, gonna grind it out, reweld, and add a gusset for strength. Have bare frame laying on the floor. Old girl has definately been a hard worker!

This is what she looks like right now. We'll close, frame and wheels are off now as well.

20170508_182705.jpg

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 3

WHX??

You didn't waste any time tearing into then  here did ya.... good for you. still looks pretty clean for it's age.

Where were those welds? Check the left side hood stand right above the two bolts that hold it to the frame rail. All my tractors have cracked there.

You probably noticed the oil weeping around the right rear axle, might want to replace that seal and check the outboard bearings there as long as you have it this far down.

20170501_114137_thumb_jpg_5b85f4b1871081c7100668d521c7bf1a.jpg

• Like 2

Tgtack
2 hours ago, WHX11 said:

You didn't waste any time tearing into then  here did ya.... good for you. still looks pretty clean for it's age.

Where were those welds? Check the left side hood stand right above the two bolts that hold it to the frame rail. All my tractors have cracked there.

You probably noticed the oil weeping around the right rear axle, might want to replace that seal and check the outboard bearings there as long as you have it this far down.

20170501_114137_thumb_jpg_5b85f4b1871081c7100668d521c7bf1a.jpg

Plan on pulling that hub to see what's up, mine was cracked behind the right side bracket for the clutch lever. Cracked all the way around the two bolt fasteners. My belt shield tabs on the motor were cracked, and found cracks in the bottom of the tool box. Also found some nasty welding on the frame to tranny mount. I am sure her back was broke at one point. She has seen some hard use, but still going!

• Like 3