Tgtack

New 1276 owner, need help

Tgtack

I did a search but could not locate the answers. Totally new to Wheel Horse, so I have a few questions about the 1276 tractor I bought.

When running, does the parking brake lever placed up or down?

Are there instructions for main drive belt adjustment?

The throttle seems to creep back to a lower rpm, any adjustment?

When running, does the engine sense increased load and speed up, or is the rpm based solely on throttle position?

Any adjustment instructions/directions for the clutch, and does that pedal also act as a brake?

I know a lot of questions, but can't seem to find the answers.

gwest_ca

Have the operator manual?

Garry

• Like 1

Tgtack
33 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Have the operator manual?

Garry

Yep, but does not seem to have the info.

daveoman1966
1 hour ago, Tgtack said:

I did a search but could not locate the answers. Totally new to Wheel Horse, so I have a few questions about the 1276 tractor I bought.

When running, does the parking brake lever placed up or down? PARK BRAKE IS UP...  NEVER...NEVER pull that lever up with tractor moving...that severely damages the hydro gear..

Are there instructions for main drive belt adjustment?  The main belt is on an idler pulley under spring tension and should not need adjustment...The pulley and spring can be easily replaced.   

The throttle seems to creep back to a lower rpm, any adjustment?  You could swap out the push-pull control levers and substitute the lever action type which are much more positive.

When running, does the engine sense increased load and speed up, or is the rpm based solely on throttle position?If working properly, the engine governor should open the throttle some when under load.

Any adjustment instructions/directions for the clutch, and does that pedal also act as a brake? it is a clutch/brake and can be adjusted via the rod linkage 

I know a lot of questions, but can't seem to find the answers.

• Like 3

Tgtack
39 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

Thanks Dave.

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 1

Achto
4 hours ago, Tgtack said:

Any adjustment instructions/directions for the clutch, and does that pedal also act as a brake?

@daveoman1966 covered every thing. The only thing that the brake petal does is return the transmission to the neutral position. There are no friction brakes on the tractor, the transmission drag brings you to a stop.

The parking brake lever applies tension to the main drive belt when up. Releases belt tension & sets the parking pin (if the pin is still good) when pushed down.

• Like 1

Tgtack
4 minutes ago, Achto said:

@daveoman1966 covered every thing. The only thing that the brake petal does is return the transmission to the neutral position. There are no friction brakes on the tractor, the transmission drag brings you to a stop.

The parking brake lever applies tension to the main drive belt when up. Releases belt tension & sets the parking pin (if the pin is still good) when pushed down.

Thanks Achto

• Like 1

WHX??

Go to Pats Small Engine Plus .com and get a new throttle assembly for the creep fix. Direct replace and good product. I can't do a link right now on this stupid tablet but maybe @Achto can. 

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor
5 hours ago, Achto said:

Unless the changed something from 1966 to 1967, you're backwards. On my 1277, the lever puts tension on the belt when pushed down. You pull up on it to release the tensioner and set the park pin. 

Achto

You are correct @Professor1990 they did make a change in '67. They also moved the parking brake lever from under the right rear fender, to up on the center counsel.

• Like 3

Tgtack
5 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

Unless the changed something from 1966 to 1967, you're backwards. On my 1277, the lever puts tension on the belt when pushed down. You pull up on it to release the tensioner and set the park pin. 

According to the 1966 manual, down releases tension and sets the lock, up applies tension and releases the lock. That is how mine functions.

• Like 2

evanloock
1 hour ago, Tgtack said:

According to the 1966 manual, down releases tension and sets the lock, up applies tension and releases the lock. That is how mine functions.

This is correct.  The parking brake lever on the 65 and 66 tractors is down low on the right side of the tractor and operates the opposite way of the 67 and later hydros that have the parking break up on the center tunnel cover.

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor
2 hours ago, Achto said:

You are correct @Professor1990 they did make a change in '67. They also moved the parking brake lever from under the right rear fender, to up on the center counsel.

Learn something new every day, thanks for pointing out the change between model years...I wasn't aware of that 

• Like 2