jre302

New to me 520Lxi now needs repair

jre302

I bought a used Toro WH 520Lxi over the winter. The FEL came in very handy moving snow this winter.

Now the spring is here in WNY I started moving some dirt in my yard. I noticed oil was leaking from the rear axle. Jacked it up and have a lot of play on the same axle with the leak. Bearings and seals repair to start the spring.

Nayone have any advice before I start dismantling it??

Thanks

IMG_1745.JPG

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I made this seal puller for the shaft seals and it worked great

shallowwatersailor

The second time I have heard of this. Hopefully the shaft isn't scored. There was a thread on here about replacing the axle a few years ago. And I believe it was a 520Lxi as well.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I got lucky twice & just needed a seal and a few minutes because the hub came tight off and the shaft wasn't scored.  If your shaft is scored see if you can put two seals in and hopefully  the second rides on a smooth part of the shaft. Good luck! 

jre302

There is another 520Lxi for sale locally that I am going to try and buy it so I have spares.

• Like 1

Forest Road

Seals were replaced on mine when I purchased it. 522xi 1100 hours w loader. It's been fine for last few years 

jre302

I will take the wheels and seals off tonight and hopefully I do not need to take the whole assembly out.  

stevasaurus

If you have any side to side and/or up and down play in the axle, you will have to open the transmission to replace the bearing.  sorry.  :(

jre302

Left axle has a ton of play. Bearing must be shot. Right side is fine, but new bearings and seals anyways. 

Hubs are are stuck on pretty good as well. Heat and gear puller after it soaks with PB blaster for a couple of days. 

Tractor seems very very well built as I disassemble it. 

The FEL looks like it comes off pretty easy as well. Need to find a mowing deck for it now. 

• Like 1

Pierrepont

How is your axle repair coming along?

jre302

Its been good so far. The hubs came off with a gear puller. All levelers and connections are disconnected.

I am hopeful that this weekend I can drop the unit out and split the case.