GregD

Wheel Horse Newb needs buying advice

GregD

Hi Gang!

My 15 year old JD LT155 is on its last legs.  I've always found the classic Wheel Horse series of tractors interesting.  There is a nice looking 314 Hydro available locally.  It's a '97 with 575 hours and a 48" deck.  The only other attachment that it comes with is wheel weights.

My questions are:

Are parts still available for this model?  (My friends and family will think I'm nuts buying a 20 year old tractor!)

Any issues to look for?

She's asking $1,300 (we're in N.E. Ohio,) what do you think a fair offer would be?

I very much appreciate your help.  

Greg

horse1.jpg

horse2.jpg

horse3.jpg

horse4.jpg

• Like 6

WHX??

:text-welcomewave::text-welcomewave:

Yes parts are available yet & fairly easy to get. Main thing to check is to see if the hydro is strong yet.

1300 seems abit high to me anyway unless it's in really good shape and well taken care of.

• Like 1

Tankman

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

Excellent Horse! Nice deck too! Most parts are available.

Wheel Horses are more than interesting, the Stallions are forever.

Price? Ouch! Others will chime in, "Great Horse."  I think most might think, "Priced high."

Good luck. Price is still OK if you consider the junque sold at the big box stores.

• Like 4

varosd

priced too high but looks real nice.

here in PA (the ultimate destination for all Wheel Horses)...we see solid 414's, 312's with decks around $400-500. maybe not as nice but good to "start" out with. 

save your money,    for a snow blade a thrower etc etc

the 48" deck is a plus.

keep looking

• Like 2

clueless

If it wasn't a 2000 mile round trip for me, I would giver her $1100.00 all day long, and if she said no I'd give her the $1300.00. Been wanting one just like that for a while now.

• Like 1

Jerry77
9 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Price is still OK if you consider the junque sold at the big box stores

:text-yeahthat:      575 hrs?...it is just getting broke in..it isn't just a "lawn mower".....:)

• Like 3

rmaynard

I mostly agree with things said above. But when it comes to price, I use the old philosophy "Value is solely dependent upon the moods of the buyer and seller at the time of the transaction". However, in this case, I think the seller is a bit overly optimistic. Offer less, but prepare to pay her price.

• Like 3

ericj

while that's more then I would pay personally, although I did pay over $ 3500.00  for a brand new one back in 99. I also have close to 30 tractors, so unless it is a must have I wouldn't pay that much for myself. 

Now on the other hand if you want a good mower and it checks out ok, no smoke or noise in motor and or deck it is well worth it. like said above what would you have to pay from a box store or a dealer of another color and still not get the quality of tractor that you would get from that 314-H. You must expect that you will have some issues with it from time to time. that is where we on here come in, from advice to parts vendors. If I needed it and could afford it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. good luck

P.S. most of us guy's are cheap scates and that's why we say we wouldn't pay big money for a tractor like that.:hide: I have a friend that is a dealer and he gets GOOD money for the used 520's and hdyro's that he sells becuase people know that he has gone over them and will stand behind them when they have problems. Us collectors can't pay big money when we buy a tractor becuase we know sooner or later we might have to sell it to make room for another must have tractor and can't be in too deep to at least get our money out of it.

eric j

• Like 5

varosd

a bit of a drive to Medina but a 520-H for $750....

Achto

:WRS:

jellyghost

I am kind of a newb around here too, but here are my three newbish opinions:

1300 seems too high, but it seems affordable compared to looking at HDs offerings.  At about 700, you can have your pick of quite a few wheel horse tractors.

Instead of buying a 20 yo tractor, I would buy a 40 yo tractor.  It seems like 1970s wheel horse tractors go for 300-400 (good runner without hydro), and you could replace it a few times for under 1300.

The real value is buying a package deal of attachments.  Maybe you should hold out for a package deal.  Ohio seems to be a hotbed for wheel horse BST.

• Like 3

roadapples

You said your old JD hasn`t given up yet. In one month, 22 days you could come to the big show in Pa. and have plenty of great deals to choose from and meet a lot of good people.. and    :WRS:

• Like 5

EricF

The 314H is capable of work that your old LT155 couldn't dream of. Far better than anything from a big-box store.

If the price is acceptable to you, that's fine. But I would recommend bargaining it down a little, if possible. You never know -- some sellers will add some bargaining room into their price, others won't.

It's perfectly fine to keep looking a little longer, too -- great values do pop up from time to time. Bottom line is, you be sorry going for a good Wheel Horse!

• Like 3

W9JAB

Sellers, look around at what the big box store has, and like myself thinks,

Heck my old Horse is twice as good as what their selling.

And they would be right, problem is the used tractor market is

very "soft".

1- The population has lost interest/education when it comes to

mechanical arts.

2- Buyers with limited mechanical knowledge will fear getting

in to a money pit or in passed there ability's.

3-Repair facilities are high priced, and often not equipped, 

or interested in repairing old stuff, but would rather sell you a new tractor.

4-it's difficult to dispose of an old junk tractor.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:    575 hours is nothing for a :wh: as long as it has been well maintained. The hydro can be tested with a tree and a chain, hook it to an immovable object and see if it will dig in to the ground. As said by others, open up negotiations by offering less based on comparable offerings on Craig's List or the local paper. Telling someone it is over priced will just make them dig their heals in;  showing them will open them up for negotiation. As nice as that :wh: looks it is probably worth more than most, but anything over $ 800 would be hard to justify where I live.

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

Take a look at the Red Square Classifieds. It may give you some ideas on pricing. Remember that some of Tractors are fully restored by the guys that collect them ( some are better looking then from the factory ) and some are the workers.Pricing depends on the location and condition. Take a trip to the Big Show in Pa. in June you may find the :wh: that you want and meet a great bunch of folks.:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 3

Cee245

Pretty much agree with everyone, priced a bit high for me personally. 

Also, I don't think its a 1997.  I believe the floor boards and mats are more flush with the rear fender starting in 96. At least its that way with the 416's.  Any one else see that?

~C

image:30

• Like 1

Jerry77

Well, all the nit-picking aside ( lol ), if it were closer, I would buy it in a heartbeat - bullet proof kohler 14 and eaton 1100 and low hours - a lifetime machine - offer less, but be prepared to pay the cost - it would cost 1200 easily in my neck of the woods..can't believe you are hesitating and :text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

clueless
1 hour ago, Jerry77 said:

Well, all the nit-picking aside ( lol ), if it were closer, I would buy it in a heartbeat - bullet proof kohler 14 and eaton 1100 and low hours - a lifetime machine - offer less, but be prepared to pay the cost - it would cost 1200 easily in my neck of the woods..can't believe you are hesitating and :text-welcomeconfetti:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

ericj
2 hours ago, Cee245 said:

Pretty much agree with everyone, priced a bit high for me personally. 

Also, I don't think its a 1997.  I believe the floor boards and mats are more flush with the rear fender starting in 96. At least its that way with the 416's.  Any one else see that?

~C

image:30

yes if it is an original 97 it should have the thicker rubber floor mats that go up the back of the foot rest. although somebody might have changed it. I think they went to that style decal in 94 so it could be a 94 or 95. good pick up there

eric j 

• Like 4