Sign in to follow this  
harryt

A question for the D series guys

harryt

Hi everyone, I am in the middle of my D200 restoration. It was a basket case when I got it and most of the hydraulic system was taken apart. Now I have reassembled most of the hydraulic system, but for some reason the rear wheels will not budge. Has anyone got any ideas, I have fiddled with the screw on the hydraulic motor but no luck. Any ideas?

thanks

pfrederi

Can you roll the tractor a distance? Did you have the transaxle apart and check it?  Could be a broken differential bolt jamming the bull gear.

Does the midmount (or 3 pt ) lift work? 

What screw on the hydro motor are you talking about??  The Tow valve is on the hydro pump.

harryt

The tractor rolls about 5cm. I did not have the axle apart but it did roll before I got it. I have not yet connected any of the rams yet for the hydraulic lifts. 

pfrederi

Did you open the tow valve? 

Do you have the later model with a band parking brake on the hydro motor or the older model with internal parking pawl?

Also Where is your parking brake handle  is it like this one  (2-4 pic)

IMG_3358 (1024x768).jpg

Brake Handle Off.jpg

Brake Off.jpg.jpg

Brake on.jpg.jpg

Edited by pfrederi

harryt

Not sure on the parking brake handle as it was not assembled when I got it and I haven't got that far yet, but I am pretty sure it is like that one

pacer

By "wont roll" clarify this a bit - is this when you try to push/move the tractor? or with wheels raised wont move?

As mentioned if tow valve isnt turned the tractor will only move maybe 6-10 inches.

But since tractor was apart I wonder if it just might be what pfred mentioned about the diff bolts, if one of them comes loose (which was common on some of the earlier D;s) then that will lock up everything.

pfrederi

What model number is the unit.  That would clarify  about the Parking brakes type and linkages as they changed over time.

harryt

IMG_2985.thumb.PNG.24e4df6a2687d6402d888e7a4ece16b7.PNG

This was it when it was altogether when the previous owner had it but he took it apart. Looks like it has the same parking break you are talking about? What bolt could be broken?

ericj

those hydro's won't push unless you turn the push tow valve on the side like mentioned above. will it not move with the motor running or off ?

eric j

pfrederi

The tow valve is in the black hole about in the middle of the picture.  it must be loosened about a turn to allow you to push the tractor. Your parking brake control is like the one in the pictures I posted.  The possible broken bolt is in the transaxle differential. 

With both rear wheels up i the air try turning one of them   what happens?  does the other wheel turn the opposite direction???

Look at this parts manual

Check the lever 4-34 does it move when you move the parking brake handle??

The broken bolt would be one of 4 like I circled.

tranny.JPG

• Like 1

harryt

When I jack it up, one wheels turns one way and the other wheel in the opposite direction. It is not fully assembled but I would of thought it would still turn?

IMG_7011.thumb.JPG.25ca2d8d87b03e17d0e4b91de978285c.JPGIMG_7012.thumb.JPG.76e61ec3d1183b901e231f3c66b5fb03.JPGIMG_7013.thumb.JPG.4ac2317a9dc305d18b3ee5593d03637c.JPG

pfrederi

From the pictures I assume you have no fluid in the system.  That eliminates the tow valve as an issue.

Can you move the parking pawl lever?  (Blue Circle)  Then try turning the wheels again

InkedIMG_7011.JPG.47b5f8d5b24a19a5f24680f741f0413c_LI.jpg

harryt

I have put fluid in the transmission but obviously it is not primed. Yes I can move that lever

pfrederi

try spinning both wheels same direction with the lever moved all the way forward....then try with it all the way back

harryt

I have tried that but still no luck

pfrederi

Can you move both rear wheels backward at the same time??

Do you think the parking pawl is moving with the lever??  If you try spinning the wheels while you move the lever is there and grating/gear clash noise?

ericj

these tractor have an OPEN rear not a posi, so one wheel will turn the opposite direction of the other

eric j

pfrederi

If it isn't the parking brake the it is either a gear issue in the transaxle (jammed by a broken bolt etc.) or something amiss with the hydro motor itself.  I hate to say but you may have to pull the hydro motor and see if the wheel spinning issue resolves.  You will also be able to see the parking pawl with the hydro motor off.  If it still will not roll with the hydro motor off I am afraid you will have to split the transaxle case to locate the problem  sorry

2 minutes ago, ericj said:

these tractor have an OPEN rear not a posi, so one wheel will turn the opposite direction of the other

eric j

He can't spin them in the same direction at the same time and it won't roll with both wheels on the ground

harryt

In my opinion it can't be anything serious due to it was fine before and I have not done anything to it other than painting it. Do you think oil in the system will make any difference?

pfrederi

Your first post mentioned reassembling the hydro system...Did you have the hydro motor out?  Did its gear shaft rotate OK before you put it back in?? Oil in the system will not make any difference

D's are hard to push but if you can't rotate both wheels in the same direction at the same time up in the air something is wrong. 

harryt

By the hydro motor do you mean the bit on the side on the transmission?

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, harryt said:

By the hydro motor do you mean the bit on the side on the transmission?

Yes

In the first post you also mentioned a set screw on the hydro motor...which one??

motor.JPG

harryt

I mean the one on the engine, I have not had that one apart

pfrederi

To be sure, the hydro pump has the tow valve and it is the part connected to the engine, that valve need to be loosened at least a turn

.  The hydro motor goes in the side of the transaxle.  Did the gear shaft on that turn fairly easily  before you put it back in the transaxle?

To prevent the rear wheels from turning in the same direction at the same time either the hydro motor is building up pressure (which since the system isn't filled and the manifold lines to the pump are not filled building pressure would seem to be impossible) or something in the hydro motor is broken and or jammed.  The other possibility is something in the transaxle itself   like a broken bolt or the parking pawl is stuck.

Edited by pfrederi

harryt

Ok, I will investigate it further, many thanks for your help