cafoose

New coil installed on my 520-HC

cafoose
7 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

Some people would try to tell you that you need to take it to an engine shop and have them do it and pay them. I will tell you to go to Harbor Freight and buy a puller set and do it yourself

I have a Craftsman harmonic balancer puller set I believe that should work I pulled Kohler flywheels with it.

5 hours ago, boomers_influence said:

cafoose

you ARE NOT doing the module test correctly.

please e/mail me and i will send you pages 8-1 and 8-2 from the P service manual.

:text-thankyouyellow: I have the manual I will look at those pages and follow the recommended steps.

ericj

cafoose, if you are coming to the little guys show in Windsor this weekend, I'll be there and I can bring my good meters with me and test what ever you need to test, working the night shift this week but I'll be there on Fri, sat and sun if you need help. I do HVAC so I have a Fluke, and a UEI that I use at work

eric j  

• Like 1

6bg6ga

To be safe and I believe I described this procedure before take pos coil module wire off put 12 v to it take neg module wire off the coil attach one probe lead to the neg lead and the other to ground and turn over by hand to get your 12 signal and then low voltage signal. This procedure tests the module without ANY safety switches in the circuit. No proper signal 12vdc to 1-1.5 vdc means to module is bad. The module staying at 12vdc means the module is bad. The module voltages not going to 12VDC means the module is bad.

The module voltage MUST fall between the specifications or it is flawed. Having said this....one MUST first test the battery voltage that your supplying TO the module. Less than 12 volts to the module will mean less than 12 volts out of the module. I do believe there may be a diode in the module so expect a diode drop of say .6 volts so I would expect 12.6 in will yield 12 out.

• Like 1

6bg6ga

Puller needed to pull Onan flywheel

Harbor Freight under $25

Provides everything you need  except a helper to hold the flywheel.  Note... do not stick anything thru the flywheel vanes because you could destroy them or several of them.

puller.JPG

Sensor ring that works in conjunction with the ignition module.

Have marked it to show where the magnets are. There is a "N"  and a "S" magnet and if my conception of the circuit is correct one magnet turns on the Hall effect switch and the other magnet turns off the Hall effect switch.

Gently pull it off the crank and check with a magnet by holding a magnet close to it while revolving the ring. If its good it will pull and it will push roughly where I have marked this one.

ring.JPG

• Like 1

cafoose

I just found this thread very informative:

• Like 1

cafoose
5 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

Puller needed to pull Onan flywheel

Harbor Freight under $25

Provides everything you need  except a helper to hold the flywheel.  Note... do not stick anything thru the flywheel vanes because you could destroy them or several of them.

puller.JPG

That looks like my craftsman set.

Craftsman-Harmonic-Balancer-Steering-Wheel-Puller.jpg

Edited by cafoose

cafoose
12 hours ago, ericj said:

cafoose, if you are coming to the little guys show in Windsor this weekend, I'll be there and I can bring my good meters with me and test what ever you need to test, working the night shift this week but I'll be there on Fri, sat and sun if you need help. I do HVAC so I have a Fluke, and a UEI that I use at work

eric j  

I'm not sure if I can make it very busy this weekend. I ordered a new module from ebay and it will be here estimated delivery on Saturday. I already replaced the coil and I'm sure the module is bad based on the tests I did and I don't see any other thing it can be other than maybe wiring. I have a question since you do HVAC. My central air is not cooling like it should. I had several different technicians look at it and the first one said the txv valve is bad. I have a service contract with One Hour HVAC and they said I need a compressor. Are you able to help me with it sometime? It has the R410A system and it's a Bryant installed in 2005.

6bg6ga

I'll bet your craftsman costs more.  I have to save my money for more guns.

cafoose
3 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

I'll bet your craftsman costs more.  I have to save my money for more guns.

It did but I use it a lot and it's better quality I've seen cheap ones bend and strip threads.

6bg6ga

A smart buyer.... You invest and purchase the best tools that you use in your particular field. Cafoose bought a really nice puller because he uses it a lot. I bought a cheaper puller and use better bolts with it because I don't use it that much. I use my meters everyday at work and to check the toys I play with hence a lot of different meters for different tests.

18 hours ago, cafoose said:

I just found this thread very informative:

They should actually be merged so the next person has a better shot at good information. 

ericj
19 hours ago, cafoose said:

I'm not sure if I can make it very busy this weekend. I ordered a new module from ebay and it will be here estimated delivery on Saturday. I already replaced the coil and I'm sure the module is bad based on the tests I did and I don't see any other thing it can be other than maybe wiring. I have a question since you do HVAC. My central air is not cooling like it should. I had several different technicians look at it and the first one said the txv valve is bad. I have a service contract with One Hour HVAC and they said I need a compressor. Are you able to help me with it sometime? It has the R410A system and it's a Bryant installed in 2005.

call my home phone 717-244-2317 and if I'm not there leave a mesg with wife or machine and I'll call you back. a big difference between a txv and a compressor, but a bad txv could make a compressor look bad. give me a call sometime going to try and get enclosed trailer down to windsor to day and have to leave for work before 1 pm. didn't get home till almost 2 am this morning, will be gad when this job is done and back to more normal hours

eric j