Straight From the Horse's Mouth - The final chapter

Jump to content
buffaloman

carburetor replacement????

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, My father in law got one of those replacement carburetor off of ebay for the c-160 . I tried to replace it today but the choke cable didn't want to fit into the choke hole. like the holes should've been towards the front of the carb away from the motor instead of to the back towards the motor. I still got it to work ,but the choke works opposite of what its really supposed to , what happened and how can I correct this? thanks .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one I bought had two choke shafts with it. Removed two screws, slid the wrong shaft out and replaced it, bolted the plate back in and all is good.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

The one I bought had two choke shafts with it. Removed two screws, slid the wrong shaft out and replaced it, bolted the plate back in and all is good.

yeh unfortunately I didn't get the benefit of a second choke shaft

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have stated in recent inquiries about these aftermarket carburetors, that you should look for a seller who states in his description that he has the correct choke, and that all the screws used in the carburetor are SAE (US). My go-to seller on eBay is "cfamily10". Never been unhappy with his carburetors, and they need no modifications.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I replaced a carb on a WH a few weeks ago that had to have the cable relocated from a top pull to a bottom pull. Had to get a longer choke cable to do the relocate...I will know better next time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have at least 3 units that have the choke working backwards   Put a label on the dashboard and live with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are cracking me up Paul.  :)  
Reminds me of one of my favorite books..."The Moon is Down".  :occasion-xmas:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The one I bought had two choke shafts with it. Removed two screws, slid the wrong shaft out and replaced it, bolted the plate back in and all is good.

The Ebay seller I used was eprdistribution and they have you covered for either choke hook up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I have at least 3 units that have the choke working backwards   Put a label on the dashboard and live with it.

I can live with it on my father in laws wheel horses ,just not mine;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was wondering if I need a carburetor replacement.  I

 

t starts up ok but then it will back fire when I engage the mower belt or shift into second to go forward.

It sputters and back fires and usually stops.  I then wait a min or less and try to restart it and eventually it will start (5 min) maybe some more back firing and repeat the restart and slowly increase the RPM and then it might work for 30 min or more.  

Sometimes it backfires under load of tall grass and then I try to restart it.

 

I  have dumped the old fuel, replaced the fuel filter, spark plug, cleaned the air filter and put fresh gas into it.

I use 100LL Aviation Fuel (no alcohol).

 

I took it to Bechtold Tractor Service in Lodi cleaned  and Doug cleaned out the fuel line and removed a couple black pieces of dirt in the carburetor.  He charged me 2 hrs labor.   I have changed the fuel filter, spark plug and cleaned the air filter.  

 

Do I need a new carburetor?

 

The fuel filter is never more than 1/4 full.  Could it be the fuel pump?    It is a 1998 model 773348.  It has 275 hrs on the engine.

 

I would like to get it fixed so that the mower works reliably like it did last year.  

 

Thanks for your advise.

 

Rodger

 

 

Edited by Mower Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mower Man said:

I was wondering if I need a carburetor replacement.  I

 

t starts up ok but then it will back fire when I engage the mower belt or shift into second to go forward.

It sputters and back fires and usually stops.  I then wait a min or less and try to restart it and eventually it will start (5 min) maybe some more back firing and repeat the restart and slowly increase the RPM and then it might work for 30 min or more.  

Sometimes it backfires under load of tall grass and then I try to restart it.

 

I  have dumped the old fuel, replaced the fuel filter, spark plug, cleaned the air filter and put fresh gas into it.

I use 100LL Aviation Fuel (no alcohol).

 

I took it to Bechtold Tractor Service in Lodi cleaned  and Doug cleaned out the fuel line and removed a couple black pieces of dirt in the carburetor.  He charged me 2 hrs labor.   I have changed the fuel filter, spark plug and cleaned the air filter.  

 

Do I need a new carburetor?

 

The fuel filter is never more than 1/4 full.  Could it be the fuel pump?    It is a 1998 model 773348.  It has 275 hrs on the engine.

 

I would like to get it fixed so that the mower works reliably like it did last year.  

 

Thanks for your advise.

 

Rodger

 

 

 

 

There is no need for aviation gas period. Find some standard regular without alcohol if you can.  Your mixture is lean. Try just a little choke then engage the mower and see if it still stalls out. My guess is it won't. What I would do is look and see if there is an adjustable high speed jet on the carb and if so turn it counter clockwise 1/4 turn and engage the load again and see if it stalls out. If it stalls out turn another 1/4 turn and try it. Note*  Most carbs have a low speed idle adjustment mixture control/jet and a high speed one. Its an easy process to find out what you have simply by posting the engine model number, serial and the carb manufacturer. All of this can be looked up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×