sqrlgtr

C-160 discharging

sqrlgtr

Hello all,

I purchased a c-160 the other day over all good machine but drove it around the barn this morning and noticed yhe amp meter is showing a discharge.the tractor starts and runs great but this is a new battery.just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to where to start on this problem.

Thanks 

pfrederi

Check voltage with engine off. a good battery should be about 12.6v.  With engine running voltage should be 13.6 to 14,5   if not

Make sure that the regulator terminals are clean and tight.  also clean the bolts holding the regulator to the tractor.  The case must be well grounded.

Still not joy the refer to the electrical section of the manual to test the charging stator and regulator

• Like 1

rmaynard

I am assuming that the ammeter reads zero (in the middle) when the tractor is not running. Do what Paul suggested first. Then, if the ammeter is still reading in the negative zone constantly when running, try removing the wires from the back of the ammeter, clean the connections, and try again. All of the tractor's 12 volts, with the exception of the starter, run through the meter.  Without having the headlights turned on, the only thing that draws current is the ignition coil. A new ammeter is inexpensive, and might solve your problem.

B-80_100_C-120_160_Wiring_Correct.thumb.JPG.e49ecbed6fc7f045c4d0abc592d577b3.JPG

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 4

squonk

I have seen those ammeter leads get crappy and melt causing all sorts of issues. 

sqrlgtr

Appreciate the response's fellers probably be monday before i get back to it.gauge reads 0 when not running then shows negative on gauge when running.turn lights on and it shows even more to the negative side.maybe i can run it down without to much trouble just trying to get everything working before i tare it down for restoration.you know how it is.

953 nut

If you have an electric PTO be sure it is turned off, they draw about ten amps.

Rob R

I had a similar issue with a C-81 here's what solved the problem.....

when the PO painted the tractor he painted the area behind he regulator.... what I find amazing is that basically this tractor has NOT be charging for at least 5 years simply because the regulator - rectifier was NOT ground properly . To test the unit I didn't even bolt back together just held the unit to the cleaned surface with the tractor running  and the AMP gauge jumped immediately.   So my new little C-81 is 100% starting, running and charging like a champ...... 

• Like 1

sqrlgtr

When through all checks in manual and stator is showing good.cleaned and checked all connections even took rectifier off and cleaned behond it to make sure it is grounded good.so ive narrowed it down to rectifier being bad.so one more ??? where could i get rectifier, prefer it would be from site sponsor if at all possible...

sqrlgtr

Yhanks RM for the link.checked with toro dealer today and he gave me a part # of 101450 not in stock but could get it now for the best part $155..have you used the part in the link you sent me and if so was it just plug and play(mount in same location and plugged right up)...

Thanks 

sqrlgtr

Sorry guys about late follow up on this post but try not to leave a thread hanging without letting everyone know what happened.got charging problem fixed.turned out to be bad amp meter.i had never had one go bad that would read a charge or discharge in this case  that wasnt good.oh well alls well that ends well.thanks for everyones help.

• Like 5