Duramax7man7

Onan P220G Head bolts

Duramax7man7

Can I just simply use a grade 8 bolt for this? I want about .25"- .5' longer as I re-tapped the hole and want to ensure proper long term torque on the bolt.

onanparts.com
15 hours ago, Mastiffman said:

Can I just simply use a grade 8 bolt for this? I want about .25"- .5' longer as I re-tapped the hole and want to ensure proper long term torque on the bolt.

Original bolts were/are grade 8. Put a light coating of anti seize on the threads before installing. 

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Yeah that's what I figured being the top of the head bolts all have 6 lines on them and you're supposed to add two to the count of lines and that's your bolt grade.

Okay thanks. Wasn't sure if they were hardened a special way over being G8. Thanks!

6bg6ga
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:57 AM, onanparts.com said:

Original bolts were/are grade 8. Put a light coating of anti seize on the threads before installing. 

I'll second the anti-seize on the threads. Just a very lite application of it is all you need.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Im guessing it wasnt used last time. Ha ha. 

6bg6ga
12 minutes ago, Mastiffman said:

Im guessing it wasnt used last time. Ha ha. 

Unfortunately there are some around that swear off any type of anti-seize mention. I use it on any bolt now.

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Yeah, I use oil or some type of lube on most bolts after cleaning them and reinstalling them. Why not if you got it out. Ya know?

Dennys502

If you use lubricant on bolts that are torqued you need to decrease the torque value by 25%.

I like to use anti seize on anything that could rust and be a problem when trying to remove.

Duramax7man7

What is the reason for that? I was under the impression that the Manufacturer recommends oil on threads at standard torque specs...?

Edited by Mastiffman
  • Like 1

6bg6ga

Ask yourself what the block is made of. Then research the benefits of anti sieze with an aluminum block and make up your own mind.

• Like 1

6bg6ga

When assembling lets say a short block chevy engine I always lightly oil the threads and I also use air pressure to blow them off and a light coat remains. I've always torqued in steps to the recommended maximum torque ratings let them set and re-torqued later. If its steel I generally use plain oil if its aluminum and steel I use anti-sieze, and sometimes I use anti -sieze and all bolts except head bolts going into a water jacket and they get permatex.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Took your advice and used anti seize on all headbolts and manifold bolts. Thanks for the encouragement. 

Number 6 Bolt is the shiny new one. :)

20170502_160941.jpg

Edited by Mastiffman
  • Like 1

Tankman
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:23 AM, 6bg6ga said:

Unfortunately there are some around that swear off any type of anti-seize mention. I use it on any bolt now.

Small can on Never-Seez and an acid brush last years. Every bolt gets a dab!

Never-Seez.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

6bg6ga
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:09 AM, Mastiffman said:

Took your advice and used anti seize on all headbolts and manifold bolts. Thanks for the encouragement. 

Number 6 Bolt is the shiny new one. :)

20170502_160941.jpg

Do you happen to remember the length of the bolts needed?  I got a B43E for nothing that I put a new piston and rod in. Unfortunately it was short head bolts and I don't really want to pull off the other side to get a length. Grade 8 right?

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Congrats!

Yes they are 5/16" Grade 8 @ 2" I believe with a maximum of a 1/2" unthreaded collar on them just below the head. But you can run all threads if you can't find the right collar.

OR Contact Lincoln @ A-ZTractor. One of our sponsors. He has some Onan head bolts. He was going to send me one for free with an order that I placed but I couldn't wait and found one locally. ha ha. I will get my odds and ends order from him for my two newest acquired WH's this week... Parts for a 94' 314h and 91' 520h.

Edited by Mastiffman