T-Mo

Grease Fitting Size

T-Mo

Quick question (I know, they're not quick to answer sometimes), but what is the thread size of the grease fittings of the front rims of a 702?  1/8 NPT, 1/4 NPT, etc?  I painted the rear rims and decided the front rims needs to be painted also, and noticed one of the grease fittings is missing. :wacko:  I can pick one of today on the way home if I knew the size.  I know it's part number 1030, but the size isn't listed.

Jerry77

I don't know for sure, but it must be 1/8 npt  -- 1/4 npt would be a whopper...........:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

T-Mo

I agree, 1/4 NPT is around 1/2 inch, so I am also thinking 1/8.

gwest_ca

1/8"  NPT has an OD of .405". That is almost 7/16".

I think any I have seen are 1/4-28 in the hubs.

Garry

• Like 3

obone

• Like 1

WHX??

1/4-28 ones for sure...get some extras for the shelf Terry. Most places will have them in a variety pack straights, 90's & 45's.

• Like 3

Achto

:text-yeahthat:   1/4 - 28 and 1/8npt are the most common sizes. :wh: seemed to like the 1/4 - 28 ones.

• Like 2

T-Mo

Thanks, guys.  I'll pick some up today or tomorrow.  Thanks, again, it's much appreciated.

Texas Todd

Pick up some Drive Type fittings as well. I have found some on Wheel Horses that had failed and replaced them. There are no threads, and the zerk doesn't have a hex collar for a wrench. They just press in and friction holds them. I am trying to recall where I used them but I am drawing a blank.

WHX??

Never heard or saw of those Todd. .. :wwp: the few I have had I drilled out and tapped to Dan's 1/8 npt. That might not work on wheels tho.

Texas Todd

I hadn't either until I ran across them. Just yanked good with some vice grips and out they came. I do like the idea of tapping the hole. Manufacturers put them in to save time on the assembly line.

http://www.mbfittings.com/drive.htm

• Like 2

Achto

The drive in style is also common. See them on farm equipment quite often. My McLean uses drive in  style on the front spindles. I prefer threaded though.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

WHX??

Learn somethin new every day here! :lol:

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Mmm!, wonder if they conform to Fig 1 H-200-C of this list?. -LINK- ......but I have been wrong before:confusion-shrug:

• Like 2

WHX??

Wow that's quite the site, any type of fitting any grease monkey would ever need.!