jeff lary

Some Advice or Suggestions

jeff lary

------UP-DATE----------

I just bought my dedicated mower.

I don't have it home yet but it is a 2000 3-14-8 with side discharge deck. It has very low hours 169? I think. The fella that I bought It from has owned it since new ,he had a hip replacement and it is hard for him to lift his leg to get on to it. So he bought a step through John Deer and Is very happy with that.

The mower was stored inside every night since new the paint looks very good. The original deck was traded away years ago because he broke a few windows so he traded it for a rear discharge. He has a 3-14- H that he will use it on as a spare I guess? The deck that comes with my mower is a side discharge that had at one time some rust around the spindles and has had some reinforcement welding done. It is not super high end pretty work but it appears very solid now and is painted well.

The blades are new and the tractor is very clean the seat does not have a mark on it showroom condition. I have one question though ,he wanted me to drive it around some before I bought it. He had a tiller on it that he wanted to sell too but I already have one and mine is in nicer condition.

So I started her up and drove it around some runs fine all gears work and so on. But even at wot it does not seem to rev up like my 3-12-8 does? Lets say mine runs 5000 rpms at wot his /now mine 3-14-8 runs at maybe 3500 very tame sounding? this is the Kohler Command mine is the Kohler Magnum. I am wondering if this is normal? or maybe the "throttle cable housing clamp screw" may be loose and the whole cable may be moving instead of just the rod/ wire inside the cable? What would be your opinion?

I don't have it yet he is tilling his garden one more time and then he will put on the deck . Then he wants me to come up and mow with it before I take it home so I will do that tomorrow I guess. Oh yea I paid $1100.00 tractor and mower deck along with delivery by him about a 15 mile drive one way.

jeff lary

lets try some pictures of the horse. I just joined for 2 years so maybe now I can post some photos? I tried earlier today but could not. Hey it worked !

DSCF0512.JPG

DSCF0514.JPG

DSCF0516.JPG

DSCF0518.JPG

DSCF0521.JPG

DSCF0523.JPG

Edited by jeff lary
  • Like 4

ohiofarmer

That is a very nice machine you have. The difference between the two engines is an aluminum block with cast iron sleeves and a solid cast iron block. i googled Kohler Command vs. Kohler Magnum to find that out. I am sure that all you have to do is ask your question [perhaps on the engine forum] and the experts will be able to help you sort out the throttle/RPM issue.

Might as well throw in a little maintenance tip. Those little ATC fuses underneath and just forward of the battery can get dust and crud in them and quit working. Remove the fuse and blow it out once a season. The bonnet clutch has very nice needle bearings inside. A few drops of synthetic oil is a good thing about once a year as well

• Like 1

jeff lary

Thanks for the tip's. I mowed with it last night for the first time I does a nice job. The 3 blades do a better job than my old 2 blade deck did.

• Like 1