jeff lary

Some Advice or Suggestions

jeff lary

Hi all

So the long and the short of it is this, I own a 1995 3-12-8 mower ,blower, tiller.I have a nice hard top soft side? cab on it for the winter months. The issue is I would really like to have a dedicated mower so I do not have to switch between the  the cab and blower for the mower every season. I have been switching out the blower since new back in 95 but now with the cab , well each summer I dread it more and more ha ha.

I have had the cab on it for about 7 years now and last fall I got to thinking that it would be nice to have one tractor set up for snow and one for mowing. I have been to the classified ads here a few time most recently last evening. I would like another 3-12-8 maybe or a little bigger even. Mine has been very good to me and I will own her forever were in love.

I have looked in the local swap magazine and craigslist Maine, but so far nothing to speak of. I don't own a pick up truck so traveling to Mass or Conn to buy one is really out of the question for me.  I was reading a "locked thread yesterday" where a guy was asking what his tractor was worth. A lot of replies mentioned that they had bought many their tractors for very little money. I have an old dealer not too far away that I am quite sure I could get maybe a good one from? but I honestly have no idea what would be an acceptably reasonable price. He is a dealer and is quite high on most things so if he has anything I assume it would be no different.

I kicked myself last summer for not buying one not too far from me,.. a good looking one about like mine for $600.00 I went home thought about it, then I went back the next day and it was gone.

My brother has a larger one maybe 20 hp hydro WH maybe a 95-99? I could get it for free but it came to him from a commercial mower / neighborhood guy who showed her very little mercy I think. It does not run and has electrical issues I guess? I am lost when it comes to electrical so I have stayed away. I kind of want one to mow with not work on right from the get go. But maybe that is the way to go ?

Anyway I think I want a mower I would really like it to be another WH but I guess another brand would not be totally out of the question. I have no idea though what that might be? My brother in law has had 3-4 JD's and at any one time 2 are broken down so they would not be high on my list I guess. If anyone has any opinions let me have it I asked for it ! Thanks Jeff

• Like 3

jeff lary

I just found one of these in Maine, ( 2009 toro wheel horse 15-44 HXL hydrostatic ). I did not know enough about it to remember the model so I pasted it here.

I thought that I had been told at one time that these were not half the tractor as the WH garden tractor I own ?but is that just because it is a newer model Than my 1995 3-12-8? I do see these from time to time for sale but because they don't " look " like mine I have always just shied away & assumed that they are a lesser tractor. Please don't take offence if you own one of these as I know zero about most WH's but at one time "someone"? told me that this style was just a light weight tractor not really a true WH. If these are good maybe I could find one of these models for sale. Thanks for any input. Jeff

doc724

Be patient.  This is spring and soon there will be lots of machines on CL.  Don't own a truck?   This is what U-Haul is for...that is how I get mine.  Find one within 100-150 miles one way and you are golden.  With long miles you can get rates down to 29 cents/mile.  Renting a truck is is far cheaper than owning one for the 1-2 times per year when you may need it.  Rent a panel van-the tractor stays out of the rain.  And if you are really bold, rent an automotive van, one where you can remove the seats.  You get 100 free miles per day....but you better bring it back without any damage. 

Get another WH for your dedicated mower.  You will not have to learn how another machine works (or does not work).  Set your price range a bit higher.  $800-900 will get you a good well cared for machine.  There are occasional steals out there and you have be be shopping CL daily to find them. I picked up a 1998 314-8 with 395 hrs for $550.  The sellers uncle moved to FL and left the machine.  The seller claimed the machine would not go up hill fast...I confirmed it.  But I also knew the fix was just the drive belt.  Sure enough, when I got it home, I found that the drive pulley had fallen off and someone put it on backwards.  As a result the pulley was not aligned and the belt wore into the shape of a "T".  $25 and 30 minutes later, it was running like a top.  A couple of years ago, I picked up a 416H.  It had more hours that I wanted-795, but was in perfect condition except for the seat.  Seller was asking $800 and it was in way better condition than the 416H I had just bought for $700.  I paid him the $800, he delivered it and i ultimately sold the not as good 416H for what i paid for it....after i fixed all the electrical problems!

• Like 3

jeff lary

I am thinking in the $ 700- $1,200.00 range actually but if I pay that much I would like a pretty nice one ya know? What if anything do you know about the newer Toro / Wheel Horse models like the HXL series? I would like to stay with WH because of my personal experience with mine and the knowledge here on this forum.

Edited by jeff lary

WVHillbilly520H

Your brother's 20hp hydro does it look like your 312-8? If so it's a 520H and usually the electrical "issues" really aren't as bad as some like to hype and as long as someone who isn't an electric guru hasn't been tinkering with it I'm sure "WE" as in RS can get you through it (and I hate electronic demons myself but I got the last 2 520s straight with a multi-meter and wiring diagram and RS help) BTW the 520H is the "cadillac" of the classics strong hydrostatic transaxle and hydraulic lift swept front axle with gear reduction steering, ok now on to your question of the 15-38xl it's really the cheapest of the ToroWH line if you want a dedicated mower look for a 265/6/7/9 (260 series) as these will usually show up for less than the garden tractors just my humble opinion, Jeff.

jeff lary

The brothers tractor if he still has it does look just like mine only bigger. Has a freaking monster deck too if I remember right.

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, jeff lary said:

The brothers tractor if he still has it does look just like mine only bigger. Has a freaking monster deck too if I remember right.

Yep that's a 520H(C?) C for commercial) then and possibly 60" deck here's mine with 48" deck, steers like it has power steering doesn't run out of power in tall grass or blowing deep snow, pushes good,  plows and pulls like a horse...BTW if it is an HC it's faster than a standard H if that matters to you

100_0463.JPG

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2

jeff lary

I guess I will have to ask if he still has it. He tried to give it to me a couple years ago but I turned him down. He made it sound like a few people had tried to figure out why it would not run a all gave up? He may have given it away by now. I know her tried to put the deck on his 3-10-8 ......yea 60" maybe deck on a 3-10-8 that's brother ha ha. Suffice it to say that was a no go. That is a really nice looking tractor above I like it !

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Those 520s go $400-$2000 depends on the shape hours and attachments (average $750) some on here will likely scold me for my pricing but the rough one I bought last spring (from my old dealer) with 236 hours $1200 then last summer with 560 hours and a bagger $800 and just sold it with a single stage thrower for $1500, now the 260 series is a vertical shaft lawn tractor but may very well fit your needs as a dedicated mower with up to a 52" recycler deck and tight turning radius with foot pedal motion control hydro pics, Jeff.

Screenshot_2017-01-09-17-57-51.png

Screenshot_2017-01-05-20-53-06.png

Screenshot_2017-01-05-20-53-26.png

• Like 1

jeff lary

yea the one I just saw is $700 As far as hours go on the 520 I would expect well over a thousand? I don't know but the guy mowed lawns for a living for a couple years. I just e-mailed the sister in law to see if he still has it. 

• Like 2

can whlvr

as replied already you have a few options,get the 520 and repair,hopefully it doesn't have a bad valve seat like many do,but if its a decent runner,it could be your winter machine,these tractors like the cold and its heat that the onan doesn't like,and with 20 ponies to power the blower you would never have too much snow for it,but I would keep in the garden tractor range of wheelhorses,then any other attachments(and what you already own work together,and as stated they will be similar so repair and maintance are easy,and I geuss as you already stated when a deal comes up you have to move fast

• Like 1

jeff lary

I stopped by brothers tonight the 520 has had better days I guess. He said it has almost no compression in one cylinder and very little in the other. He had already began parting it out the rear wheels were gone and he said the previous owner parked it because the hydro was not working correctly as far as moving the machine forwards and backwards I guess. He said the dealer at the time quoted a big price to get her up and running again , and that was ten years ago. He said the wheels had been spun on the axels and they were all buggered up. Said the neighbor had someone else trying to fix some electrical issues too but they had made it worse towards the end .

So I am on the hunt again , really I don't have the time to rebuild one I have way too much else to do. I really need a turn key mow lawn one . I maintain all my equipment very well but really don't want one that no one has ever maintained ya know?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Understand completely, I wouldn't jump into it unless I just had to have a restoration project and from your description it would be a front to back and everything in between, they are out there just have to keep an eye out, and IMHO the 260 series for a mow only machine would be a wise investment, but if you want interchangeability then any 3/4/500 series classic would fit the bill best of luck, Jeff.

jeff lary

Thanks this is really the kind of advice I need. Yep the 520 is in rough shape for sure I need to look for something else.  When you say 3-4-500 series you mean like my 3-12-8 is that a "3" series?

My son came over this morning while I was in the middle of jacking up the front of my garage and offered to help me remove the cab and blower. So we finished up the jacking and started in on the blower. We pulled the cab and the blower stored them away and installed the mower deck.

Well that's not true really,.. I discovered a crack in the mower deck, so I grooved the crack out and welded it in. Then sharpened the blades. gonna need new blades that's another 40-50 bucks. Wish there was a place I could get blades other than the WH dealer he is pricey. Then we put the deck on,.. when he went back home I took the winter tire chains off and discovered my walk behind rototiller had a flat. I got that off re-inflated it without too much hassle and put it back on. Then remembered I had bought some new motor oil for the WH and was in the final stages of changing that when it started to pour out (rain). I guess central Maine must be the new rain forest it rains here every day. I rained all last week  rained a couple hours yesterday and about an hour today. Does everyone else work like a Demon all the time or is it just me?

• Like 1

farmer

I would suggest you stick with what you know, with your budget and patience you should be able to source a 312 / 314 / 315, familiar tractors to you and interchangeable with your 312. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Yes 300= 308-8,310-8, 312-8/H,314-8/H,315-8 400=414-8/H 416-8/H (420LSE but that's a limited edition 1 of 200 all chromed out)500=516,518,&520-8/H, Now for mower blades what size deck? I get the 1s for my 48" off :techie-ebay: both OE ToroWH and aftermarket (STENS/Rotary/XHT) which do a fine job and hold up well, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170429-210306.png

Screenshot_20170429-210414.png

Screenshot_20170429-210556.png

Screenshot_20170429-210609.png

jeff lary

I would have to go look it came with the tractor in 95. It is a 37" I think. Thanks for the blade info, the issue I have is the far end on the back side the tip of the blade wears away eventually you end up with a blade about an inch wide at each of the ends of each of the two blades.

Edited by jeff lary

jeff lary

I just went out to look for the model number on the deck it is 78315 .The serial number on the deck is 6900113 the blade I sharpened yesterday will last till July maybe but I will need a new set this summer. I went to e-bay and found the Stens page man there are many pages of them. I did not see a way to search for brand or cut size or model of mower? I am sure they have some but I just did not see a way to search for them. I read every description on the first page but did not see them but I could have missed them too? The 30 something dollar ones looked about right but I was  not sure. Since I don't need them immediately I thought I would wait till I got some more advice here ha ha.

WVHillbilly520H

There should be a TORO WH part # stamped on the blade somewhere (like 10xxxx) then in the eBay search box type "Toro Wheel Horse 109918" and it should come up that way or Toro Wheel Horse 37" deck, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170430-210437.png

jeff lary

ok great ! thanks you a bunch. The next time I have them off I will clean them up and see if I can find a number. Fact is I think I might have some old blades someplace if I see them I will look. Jeff

Ps are you maybe saying that the ones above would fit my mower? or did you just happen to know a part number that would show up as a 2 blade 37" set? as an example.

Edited by jeff lary
added a question

WVHillbilly520H

By using your deck model # , I go to partstree.com get the Toro blade part# and yes those should be your 2 blade set for a 37" deck, you are welcome, Jeff.

• Like 2

jeff lary

ok I went to parts tree and put in the deck number and choose ( spindle and blade) that gave me the exploded view and I went to the list to see the blade part number 109918 ? I think I did it right. Pretty cool I had been there in the past to get some chainsaw parts, I remembered after I got there. I just ordered a set $35 free shipping that's a far cry for $50 plus at the local dealer. Thanks a bunch again ha ha

Edited by jeff lary
up-date
  • Like 2

jeff lary

I received my blades today they look and feel very nice. They came from a company called Copperhead, I googled Copperhead mower blades that led me to a company called "Rotary" the original supplier/ maker I suppose. They do not show prices on the site but they make a butt load of different things. I sent them an e-mail to see if they would give me a price to buy direct from them? I doubt it though there I a place in the beginning of their site for " Dealer sign in".... or........" To become a dealer". I just thought if I cut out the middle man on e-bay maybe I could save 10 bucks next time? worth a shot I guess.

This is the question I sent to them

what is the price for a set of 109918 Toro replacement blades? I would like to buy my blades from you in the future but I see no prices. Thanks Jeff

This is the response I got back

Thank you for your interest in Rotary Corporation!  We are unable to give pricing out without having an account.

To become a Rotary Dealer, you would first have to fill out a New Dealer Application and submit it along with the correct state sales tax exemption form.  Once those are submitted, your information is forwarded to the Sales Rep for your area for approval.

You can find our application online at www.rotarycorp.com under the big red "Become a Dealer" section.

If we can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to email or call!
Thank you in advance!

Customer Service 1-800-841-3989 | FAX: 1-800-424-3945

Amy Smith

Customer Service | Customer Service MAIN: 1-800-841-3989 | EXT: 7360 | FAX: 1-800-424-3945

Edited by jeff lary
  • Like 1

dlaw90

There's a guy in Leeds that fixes 520's and sells them on craigslist. This ad for a 60" mower deck is from him (https://maine.craigslist.org/grd/6087506621.html). He told me he doesn't fix wheel horses as a business, but he might be interested in buying your 520. You could try asking him to fix up your 520 or sell it to him and use the cash to buy something different.

jeff lary

Thanks for doing the leg work but it really isn't mine it's my brothers. I will keep him in mind though, Thanks again! Jeff