3Horses

417-A Ignition Switch

3Horses

Can anybody help please. I ordered a new ignition assembly switch Toro part # 103991.??? Is this the correct switch for my 1986 417-A machine. Desperately looking for some guidance. I forgot to say that it is a 5 prong with ground switch. But one of the prongs is stamped with the letter M on it.???? The new switch has these markings on the prongs.?? A,M,R,B,S, and a Ground

Edited by 3Horses
addendum

gwest_ca

103991 is the wrong switch. A quick look at the wiring diagram shows the (+) and (-) terminals on the battery ignition coil and there is no isolation relay.

Here is a very poor parts list because it shows two ignition switches but fails to show which models use which switch.

The correct switch is

Compare this file to the old switch to verify. I do make mistakes.

Garry

• Like 2

3Horses

Thank you very much. I was wondering if I had the wrong one. You guys have been great. Thank you, thank you.

• Like 2

WildHorses

I have a 417-A I picked up a few months back that had been "redneck engineered", they said it wouldn't run but it would turn over and they couldn't figure it out plus had health problems. I verified their claim when I got it home and they were right. They had spliced the wiring harness and bypassed every safety switch on the tractor. To get to the bottom of the problem I pulled out all of their handy work and started patching the original harness. Long story short they had the wrong ignition switch so I got on parts tree for a generic 417-A model since my sticker is no longer visible (they showed 103991 as correct) and I ordered that part from ebay.  It didn't work, tractor won't even turn over. I just happened across this post and verified the wiring matches the wiring diagram on these pictures and SOB if I don't have the wrong switch. I'm ordering the correct one now so fingers crossed everything else is ok. I already found a defective clutch pedal safety switch, thankfully I had one on a parts tractor. 

Edited by WildHorses

6bg6ga

Its either "Redneck" or the backyard mechanic that is responsible for your trouble. Unfortunately some cannot grasp the use of a volt ohm meter. Some that actually own a meter don't have a clue as to how to use it.

One of the first rules one should learn for troubleshooting. Never depend on the boxed part one has purchased before testing it with your meter. 

• Like 1

WildHorses
17 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

Its either "Redneck" or the backyard mechanic that is responsible for your trouble. Unfortunately some cannot grasp the use of a volt ohm meter. Some that actually own a meter don't have a clue as to how to use it.

One of the first rules one should learn for troubleshooting. Never depend on the boxed part one has purchased before testing it with your meter. 

I had checked everything prior to putting it in so an incorrect or defective switch was my first guess. I pulled up the wiring diagram and checked the switch, no continuity from the battery to start terminals. 😩 I was just annoyed that it was the wrong switch.

Edited by WildHorses
  • Like 1

6bg6ga
7 hours ago, WildHorses said:

I had checked everything prior to putting it in so an incorrect or defective switch was my first guess. I pulled up the wiring diagram and checked the switch, no continuity from the battery to start terminals. 😩 I was just annoyed that it was the wrong switch.

Good to hear that you checked it prior to trying to install it. The mark of an experienced troubleshooter that didn't assume but instead tested. Good catch.