JUSS10

eaton transmissions and what determines forward/backward speed

JUSS10

So long time since I've posted on here. I have a question regarding eaton hydros and the wheel horse transmissions they are bolted to. What exactly determines forward and backward speed on these? Is it the cam plate on the top that limits the speed in each direction? Is there any reason the transmission couldn't run the same speed, forward and reverse? Would it hurt the transmission to run in reverse more than forward (the way they are currently installed in the tractor) Long story short I have an idea for a project that I want to build but the transmission needs to be on the front and I would prefer to just run it "backwards" to go forwards so I can use the existing frame mounts and what not vs having to build a custom frame to turn the whole transmission around 180 degrees. 

Thanks!

Justin

953 nut

Haven't been inside an Eaton but on Sundstrand the size of the ports in the acceleration valves is the thing that keeps reverse speed lower than forward.

Adams94

I would not think it would hurt anything at all.:twocents-02cents:

Jerry77
2 hours ago, JUSS10 said:

transmission to run in reverse more than forward

Short answer- yes, you can - by adjusting the cam plate - I had mine running scary  fast in reverse at one point while setting up an Eaton 1100 in my 516H...can't see where it would hurt anything to do that ...your project sounds interesting...pix?  :)

• Like 1

JUSS10

essentially thinking about making a mini toro groundsmaster for yard duty. I have 13 maple trees and lots of variation of height in yard. I would like a zero turn but always loved the looks of the rear steer industrial mowers. If I could get my hands on a toro groundsmaster 52 I would, but they are hard to find and expensive. I have most of the parts laying around and a new barn and welder waiting to get some use this summer so I might give this a try. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Good to see you back again.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

JUSS10
3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Good to see you back again.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks! Good to see some familiar "faces" again!

• Like 1