Sign in to follow this  
iicap

Maintenence tachometer

iicap

Hey Folks, I'm gonna buy a tachometer for maintenence use on small engines like we all have in our horses and small engine powered equipment. There are types you hold near the plug wire when engine is running (I'm not to hot on this type), photo type with a reflective strip you'd put on a pully or flywheel fan screen ( I like ), or automotive type with inductive pickup on the plug wire, but not sure if this style available for small engines (my preferred type).

Like to know what type most of you have/use and maybe why it's your preference?

I'd really like to know that my horse with it's single stage snowblower is turning it's max operating RPM at wide open throttle, and be able to set idle speeds and so on.

:thumbs:

iicap

Thanks Nick, just checked it out, but not what I'm looking for. Want a tach to keep in with my tools as if I were a tech in a small engine repair shop.

WheelHorse_of_course

Here is a fairly complete discussion.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...64&hl=sirometer

It does not cover the reflective type. I have one of those but it takes some really hard to find batteries. The sirometer is a pretty darn good solution and not too expensive.

:whistle: :thumbs:

Nick

Ok I misunderstood what you wanted. The briggs vibra tach should work. Looks like less than $30. Here is a picture Picture link-

Nick

Thats interesting Buzz. I assume they all come from the same place to.. Ive got dads old shaft end tach they used on combines so never bought one myself.

iicap

Rolf, Nick, Buzz, thank you all, going to local power equip dealer this AM for a new belt tension spring for the snowblower and will check out tach availability.

Richard

iicap

Hi all. I bought one of these tachs that Briggs and Techumsa offered. have not tried it yet. Just to let you know it is strictly a mechanical device. There is a brass wire with loop on the end and it is attached to a gauge. You hold the body of the tach on the engine and rotate the wire out via rotational control. Looks like the wire is going to vibrate and be a blur to look at. As you rotate it out more, the wire should become smooth and steady as it matches the RPMS the engine is turning. I'll let you know how it works out.

My cost was 24.80 for the unit, 1.50 S&H, tax 1.58, total 27.88, bought the Techumsa version.

As I write this I wish I had put the money into an Inductive pickup timing light that also gives RPM readings.

Richard