Kavint76

1277 starter/gen questions

Kavint76

I got a 1277 with the starter generator on it n when i turn it off it keeps turning engine over till i pull the battery wire off the voltage regulator. Did anyone ever have this prob b4 n how to fix it? I think something in the regulator may b sticking please help. Other than this problem i just got the deck all fixed n running awesome it mows better then any mower i ever owned. Thanks for any help.

gwest_ca

Can't help with your problem but there is a good section in this old Kohler service manual on this system. Section 7.1 to 7.6

Make sure your ignition switch has not failed. Start energized when turned off. The high amperage this system uses is hard on the switches.

Garry

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:   Check the ignition switch.

953 nut

Take a look at the two BIG wires on the switch; "B" and "S", they may be touching.

Kavint76

I went out today n it started up fine and shut off fine. the switch is fine no crossed wires. It did it about a month or so ago to.

RubyCon1

@Save Old Iron helped me threw the same issue several years ago. Turns out the cutout relay in the regulator had burned points and was randomly fusing together. Apparently the cutoff relay is meant to open its contacts when the SG produces less then battery voltage so not to allow the connection that charges the battery act to continue to power the SG and jump to the starter mode. File the relay points or replace the regulator. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Kavint76

Thnx i thought it was in the regulator. Ill check it out n let everyone know what I find out. I wonder if someone on here has a cheap spair they can part with if i cant fix mine.

JPWH

You can get one from flea bay for about 30.00. 

Kavint76

It was the regulator i took it apart n it was sticking on the one side so i filed both sides n it hasnt done it since. My battery was dead not sure why it may be from the regulator. Thnx everyone 

• Like 1