Sign in to follow this  
Buzz

Speed traps

Buzz

For those of you who are driving.........anywhere, check out this site. Might save you money on the way to the show.

http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/stetlist.asp

forewarned is forearmed.

refracman

Thanks Buzz, now do you really think us being the responsible citizens that we are would Really speed on the way to the BEST show of the Year :D:P:( :(

Buzz

Thanks Buzz, now do you really think us being the responsible citizens that we are would Really speed on the way to the BEST show of the Year :D:P:(:(

If you want to beat Jerry (oldandred) to see what bargains can be found, you HAVE to speed...........

baerpath

Shoot I ain't worried about the speed traps it's those darn scales. Especially the portables.

Buzz might have met as you were trying to get away with all those good deals ?? :D

BPjunk

Well along with speed traps I do know that in Pennsylvania the State Police are cracking down on people who use a flat deck trailer (with out a railing) and rachet straps. Apperently they like to see chains used on any flat deck trailer and not rachet straps. I heard a story from the Panzer Club where two guys had to leave a trailer on the side of the road till they found some chains to tie the tractors up. :(

To me a rated rachet strap will be just as good as a chain if it is installed correctly. Some times when I go to a show with Ed Mayhew and we use the same trailer I will chain my tractors down and he will use heavy duty rachet straps ..... again we both have tractors on the same trailer! :D

This is a picture of my old open flat deck trailer. :P

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-22-1200797386.jpg

TT

If they're looking for the simulated nylon "Made in China" 1" ratchet straps from "Bubba's Bargain Barn", then I don't blame them. You know -- the ones that only ratchet the first time you use them, and then all they do is get stuck because they bent from when you torqued them down. :D

Good U.S.A.-made 1" straps are fine for a 400 to 800 pound tractor, but at least two are required, and they should be attached to pull diagonally downward and in opposite directions of each other. If there is any place where they could be cut or abrasion could occur, then corner or edge protectors should be used.

The finished brass rod that is made where I work can not be chained down, so our only option is nylon straps.

I'd like to see one of those "creeper cops" foot the bill for a $150,000 load of brass because he made the driver chain it down and ruin it. :P

nylyon

Nuttin beats chains, binders and a good 4' pipe to make things nice and tight.

Karl -- Never hauled brass just coils out of Weirton

TT

10-4, Karl! :D

Nothin' like seeing a cheater pipe go flying through the air when one of those "snap" binders UNSNAPS either. :(:(

My praises go to the person who invented the ratchet binder for chains ! :P

Rollerman

Yeah I still have a mark on my chin from one of them cheater bars....:D

I agree with TT..those cheap import straps are junk.

I have a few, but won't use them on my big trailer.

Chain binding is not a bad idea if you can use D rings or thread in clevis hooks somewhere?

combatmp29r

Karl, Weirton?? My G-parents lived in Stupidville sorry stuebenville.

I definately agree about the straps. I have more than enough chains and binders in the bed of the truck to go that route though. I use 40,000 lb rated straps normaly courtesy of Uncle Sam's excessive buying. Gotta love the DRMO.

Better explain that. DRMO Defense Reutilization Management Office. Every large installation has one. Units turn in excess or outdated gear, vehicles etc. to them. Then most of it is auctioned off on a web site. You can buy anything from pencils to 5 ton 6x6 dump trucks.

Rollerman

Joel where do you find this DRMO...I'd love to have a 5ton 6X6 :D

combatmp29r

You da man Jim. I know I have that link somewhere, but you think I could find it? Yeah I think there's one at grissom AFB, and I know there's one at Atterburry.

combatmp29r

OK where in IN is stout field???

Rollerman

Joel looks like somewhere around Indy. :D

Jim thanks for the link & I'll be watching....maybe this summer? :P

Curmudgeon

Well along with speed traps I do know that in Pennsylvania the State Police are cracking down on people who use a flat deck trailer (with out a railing) and rachet straps. Apperently they like to see chains used on any flat deck trailer and not rachet straps. I heard a story from the Panzer Club where two guys had to leave a trailer on the side of the road till they found some chains to tie the tractors up. :(

To me a rated rachet strap will be just as good as a chain if it is installed correctly. Some times when I go to a show with Ed Mayhew and we use the same trailer I will chain my tractors down and he will use heavy duty rachet straps ..... again we both have tractors on the same trailer! :D

This is a picture of my old open flat deck trailer. :P

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Bill, you have some very KEY words in your statement, "a rated rachet strap will be just as good as a chain if it is installed correctly"

Key words be RATED and INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

Now who would actually spend the money or take the time to do either! :(