ohiofarmer

Taryl Dactyl-- the saviour of the MTD repairs

ohiofarmer

Because this is a Wheel Horse forum, maybe we put down the cheaper mowers a bit. I had a Huskee given to me that was outside for a while and took quite some effort to rescue While Wheel Horse are easy to change belts and maintain in most repairs, that is certainly not the case with the MTD line.

Mower shops do not like to see them either. They seem to get angry that you bought a mower from a big box store and do not seem to care about finding that part that you need. Also the shops know full well that their customers are gonna complain when the labor rate is sixty bucks an hour when you bring in a used mower you bought for $300. The internet [or as Taryl calls the Interscreen] has changed that a lot as online parts houses care a lot more than most repair shops that you can get the parts you need.

I do not really put all the blame on the retailers as I have seen people use the counter man to find stuff for them and then they go home with part numbers and order it cheaper online

Watch this video and notice how detailed it is and how easy he makes a job . Just like having a mechanic on your shoulder. He also knows when to recommend aftermarket parts and will say when OEM is the best to use.

If his weird looks and fake teeth  creep you out at first, just watch a few more videos and you will actually see the satire and humor of the guy. I could not stand him at first but now look forward to his new video each week. He actually has a repair shop out in "Podunk Indiana" I believe he calls it. i bet he has some happy customers.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 4

DennisThornton

I've seen a couple of his videos and he knows some stuff. 

KC9KAS

I too have watched many of his videos and laugh all the way, but he does know what he is doing!

ohiofarmer

In the video above, he warns us that the MTD's with foot pedal drive have to have a mtd belt on the vari-speed pulley. Not cheap for a 42" belt, but worth it if the tractor runs smoothly. He also warns about a hidden nut that holds an idler pulley on that  cannot be removed without removing the entire seat, battery, springs,and what have you. He states that mTD should have welded a nut to the frame. Taryl stated that you either cut a hole with a hole saw to get at that nut, or do the long removal process. I also found that the belt tightner cannot be adjusted without loosening the same nut. i think i will weld on a nut to eliminate this misery.  Just knowing what to expect makes the job so much easier

Anyway, now the mTD Huskee  works like it should [ brief testing] for the first time since I got it. Taryl rocks.  His latest video is modifying a Cushman. The sound effects alone are hilarious and worth your time

• Like 1

WildHorses

Now there's your dinner 😂😂